The Raspberry Pi 4 has been announced!

No it won’t work.

Until a stable version of Raspbian for the Pi 4 becomes available it will all remain very experimental so there’ll be few rushing to install a production version of HA.

Would the lastest version of Raspbian here:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Be considered stable? If you look as the release notes is says Pi4 is supported:

2019-06-20:

• Based on Debian Buster
  • Support for Raspberry Pi 4 hardware
  • FKMS OpenGL desktop graphics driver and xcompmgr compositing window

Unless I’m missing something here?

1 Like

For me the appeal of the Pi is running the hass.io system with all its add ons and ease of use. I have ordered the Pi 4 but would love a semi-official hassio install guide for not using a SD card.

I wasnt aware you couldnt simply write the image to a USB drive, would love for that support to be added to hassOS!

1 Like

Hi guys,

Do you think 2.5 A power supply from Pi3 will work fine with Pi4?
What would be the migration process? Can I just move my SD card or do I need to use backup and restore to a new raspberry with fresh home assistant install?

@Serg apparently the 2.5 A supply is compatible with the Pi4

In the specs, guess a usb c adapter is needed ?

5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A*)

• A good quality 2.5A power supply can be used if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total.

No it won’t work.

can we make it work this way? Ideally one should be able to download HASSIO and burn it to SD, SSD or pendrive.

2 Likes

It would be great.

I made a feature request here:

Please support by voting for it!

6 Likes

This is great news just when I’ve been looking at upgrade options from pi 3b+, it’s now an easy choice… unfortunately it’s sold out everywhere in the uk :frowning:

Agreed, I was toying of the idea of getting an Intel NUC and running a docker container, or running it though my Synology NAS in docker.

Not sure which way I’m heading at the moment. I think the Pi4 is going to be the quickest solution for me at the moment.

Hopefully someone will test who much faster the pi 4 is against the 3 B+ (Running hassio).

I managed to do a completely fresh buster raspbian installation last night on a Pi 4 4Gb and everything seems ok using this method here:

I’m using the SanDisk extreme 32GB card which I’ve always used to home assistant and never had any problems (I do take regular file backups and sdcard images as backups).

I’m going to migrate my home assistant over this weekend so will report back.

The thing I am wondering is if I can use a usb3 attached SSD for database storage in home assistant as that is currently disabled at the moment.

2 Likes

Got mine today (4gb) will build and try to work out how to migrate over from my 3b

They have done a load of baseline tests online if you search, I’ve seen a few already and the bottom line is much better

1 Like

The biggest obvious gains will be a slightly faster processor, 3gb extra ram and for those booting from USB a major increase in read/write processes via the higher speed USB3 port.

The processor will run hotter and for those running their boards in a case passive processor cooling will be a minimum requirement.

I’d be more interested in the new Buster OS and how it performs with HA in all its flavours.

Be prepared for teething troubles particularly with the combination of a new board/OS at the same time.

Interesting times ahead indeed.

I just did receive mine. In the Safety and User guide it also mentions an 8GB version next to the three already announced models.

2 Likes

Interesting.

Might wait for the 8gb version so.

Getting closer to a desktop setup rather than a tinkering board.

Would be interesting whether that bug still exist when using the GPIO pins for my zwave module and then at the same time bluetooth. currently I have to disable BT on my raspberry pi 3b, because of that.

Turns out the 8GB option is a typo, as per one of the engineers:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=243372&start=350#p1485310

Yup, typo. We haven’t released an 8GB version! It’s 1,2, or 4. We’ve found that 1 is best for headless, 2 for desktop (even lots of Chromium tabs) and 4 is best for dev work with big compiles.