The Raspberry Pi 4 has been announced!

New pi, 4Gb ram, USB 3, improved CPU!

https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-4-model-b/

16 Likes

Nice, but unfortunately we still need to have the OS on an SD Card.

It would be awesome however if we could be able to run hassio HassOS from a USB3 attached SSD

4 Likes

You can now. Just install hassio on top of raspian. I did. I’m running everything on a Kingston ssd. No sd card required. Works great. You still get all the add-ons plus with esphome you can develop and flash directly on the raspberry pi. Very cool. I’m also running the history out of memory which works well as long as you keep your watched devices at a low level.

4 Likes

The extra RAM and real Ethernet and USB ports are a nice improvement.

3 Likes

I think Tensorflow on Pi becomes feasible now owing to increased RAM. Also accessories such as the Coral USB stick will get a performance bump due to USB 3

2 Likes

Even though I’ve moved away from hosting my HA on a raspi I’m looking forward to seeing what y’all can do with the new one.

2 Likes

Would this be considered a big upgrade for running hassio?

Are there any instructions how to install hassio on raspbian?

1 Like

Plenty. Best is here.

3 Likes

Just ordered now,
The extra ram is going to be the best thing for us, Bluetooth 5.0 might be useful in the future.
Like it has 2.4 or 5ghz too.

1 Like

This is an installer script. Nice.

What I was (also) looking for was instructions on how to run raspbian from SSD. Specifically for use with HA.

You just need to install raspbian lite… Try the raspi web site but really it’s not that hard to setup…

Benchmarks!

Short version is massive gains all around!

This is probably also a good measure of the power:

6 Likes

That one have not been updated in over a year.

The best way is to follow the official instructions.
https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/#alternative-install-on-a-generic-linux-host

1 Like

Still works and is specific to the Pi and it’s requirements. I have not used that generic linux host instructions on Raspbian… (Not that it shouldn’t work but I just know dale’s one does work)

Any advice if a simple HassOs scenario with MQTT broker and Node Red automations will benefit from the 2GB or 4GB Ram models, or they will just sit there unused?

On my RPi 3 the systemmonitor sensor reports 559MB free, can I trust that value?

1 Like

@pvizeli mentioned to me that he already ordered one and it will arrive tomorrow, so I think you’ll have your answer soon :smile:

I know but don’t I need to do something specific to boot a pi from ssd?

It’s been a while since I did it but you don’t need to set the USB flag boot anymore so I don’t think there’s anything special required. The Raspberry Pi official site is your best bet for specific instructions to install Raspbian on a USB.

To upgrade, is it just as simple as moving the SD card from my old 3B+ to the 4, or is there more to it than that?

3 Likes