The Raspberry Pi 4 has been announced!

I have a couple page write up. What is the best way to provide it? Don’t want to insert it into this topic.
Update: I just added a topic to the Installation category describing the the process I used to install Hassio on a bootable ssd. Hassio booting off ssd on a Raspberry Pi 3b+

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

Btw - as far as my issue with the Aeotec z wave USB dongle and getting that it work with the pi 4 I managed to get a workaround working by going via a four port hub (not powered):
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3027#issuecomment-506835078

hey, what image is everyone using on the rpi4 hass.io?
this one? Raspberry Pi 3 Model B and B+ 32bit

1 Like

There is no HassOS image currently available for rpi 4. You have to wait for it.

hope it comes out soon, got a pi4 and ready to test this out

Well honestly me to, although only a 1Gb version, (a 4Gb version on its way for playing around), but to be fair the developers most likely will need some time to get it out, but it will be there eventually. :slight_smile:

It seems like only two people got HA to work with buster. How?

Docker won’t install saying there is not version for buster and add-apt-repository universe gets error could not find a distribution template for Raspbian/buster.

by the sounds of it they used VENV

Yeah, I think I’m going to wait until this cake is fully baked before biting into it. Not only do I want to run Docker, I want the RPI 4 to boot from USB (which isn’t available yet in Buster).

1 Like

It is a very important detail for all to note

The Raspberry Pi 4 does not currently support booting from USB. It the a major feature missing when you consider that the USB3 on PCIe is the killer feature we all wanted for exactly this.

I am sure it is a matter of weeks or a few months before we see the upgrade that enables this.

I can recommend this video from “the guy with the Swiss accent” which highights both the good and the not yet implemented weaknesses.

Is gives a very balanced review. And the two word summary is “have patience”.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have a Pi 4 on the way, but I might hold off for a bit before moving my installation across. Might even wait for hassOS before jumping in.

I’m using an old surface tablet to ran hassio after upgrading from the pi3b+. I only upgraded after adding for security cameras and the stream being all slow and jittery. Works great in the surface but one single USB port is a killer.

Wondering if the extra grunt of the pi4 will handle the rstp streams better.

Today at the Pi store - lots in stock

Just buy a Pi 4 (4Go) at Pi store this morning ! :blush: Waiting for Hassio update for beta testing it !

I’m confused - the RPi4 has a SD card slot, right? If you get an A1/A2-class microSD card, is the performance still not comparable to a USB 3 flash drive?

And performance aside, is HassOS just not compatible (yet) with the RPi4 architecture/hardware? I’m assuming this is what’s being worked on for future support (which you’d then flash onto an SD card), correct?

Home Assistant is a fantastic open source project. I think referring to it as a “product” isn’t really conveying the right expectations. While it works really well and is quite amazing tech, it’s not delivered with a warrantee, with product support. There’s a lot of volunteer labor at work, and I’m really thankful for their contributions. However, sometimes things like documentation fall a bit behind. As documentation also relies in a bit part on volunteer labor.

Louis Marnakos - I called it a product because it’s something tangible. I know about the volunteers, and am very appreciative of their efforts. Please understand that I’m not criticizing, but merely stating facts regarding the documentations and on-line information. So please spare me the lecture.

I’ve remarked on the quality of the documentation in the past, so I think we’re in general agreement that there’s room for improvement there. It’s future search engine hits I’m worried about.

And I really think a little though needs to be given to how this is positioned as those using Home Assistant move beyond the “early adopters” that are much more technologically savvy and able to deal with some ambiguity and are willing to do problem solving to further along the spectrum towards “appliance.”

Having shipped a “Product” (a VoIP landline replacement telephony service and equipment) to end-users before, I was completely to see the difficulty that later “appliance” users had trying to install our “box” in their network. We had our product on the shelf at Best Buy in the US, and engaged the company we had worked with on design to ask random purchasers if they could follow them home and record video of them trying to install the product. It was the most horrifying thing I had seen! You don’t realize what you take for granted when dealing with technology as compared to the random “value-seeker” customer segment that might have bought the product at WalMart.

I’m amazed and had great respect for a company like TiVo that shipped a device with some many interconnections that could be used in some many different scenarios (back in the days of the VCR), and could be self-installed. I never really understood how hard it can be to reach people.

So this is my reaction to the “product” term - I conjures up some image about the level of rough-edges and ease of use. No offense intended.

Louis Marnakos - No offense taken; just a bit of overreaction on my part

I wish people would pull their postings from the internet once the postings become out of date. But I know that will never happen. However, that may be something to consider for the official documentations. Since HA is a volunteer-driven project, I understand the potential difficulty with time allocation to it. If adequate time can’t be allocated to updating the documentations, I think the obsolete material should just be removed. Update material can be added later when time permits. I think it’s better to show nothing at all, rather than showing something that’s inaccurate and misleading.

Keeping documentation for open-source projects up to date is notoriously difficult. But I have come across one that does it particularly well - The Erlang programming language. Every time there’s a new release, an entire set of documentation files come with it. When I download an update, I download the new documentation also. I started working with Erlang around 12 years ago, and came up to speed fairly quickly, partly because of the excellent official documentation.