The Raspberry Pi 4 has been announced!

It is not open source that has documentation problems. In fact I’d have to say that open source projects generally have much better documentation than closed source stuff.

However people have to realise that home assistant is NOT documented on youtube, or in fact anywhere other than those links at the top of the forum that says “Docs”, “Integrations” and “Dev Docs”.

To migrate Raspbian+HA from a PI 3 to a PI 4…i need to switch only microSD or I need further operation?

Further operation.

The microSD used in your RPi 3 has an operating system designed to work with the RPi 3.

The RPi 4 has improved hardware but it is incompatible with the Linux operating system designed for the RPi 3 (Raspbian Stretch). A new version is required for the RPi 4 (Raspbian Buster).

Thank you…
So i need:

1. Install a fresh system (buster version) to Pi4 using a new microSD
  2. Copy/paste homeassistant folder from older to newer SD
  3. How to retrieve all config outside homeassistant folder, saved… Without forgot nothing? I don’t remember all custom edit made like cronjob, etc…

You’re right. But sometimes those documentations are insufficient, which is why people turn to Youtube and forums for help. But as we all know, it’s a double-edge sword.

Instructions here on running pi4 from usb

Thanks for the link Nick. Looks like this can be performed at any stage, not just initial setup which will be handy. So you can move from SD card to USB without doing a fresh install

1 Like

It still boots from SD card, but only the kernel and a few other files need to be there, and they can be set to read only.

Yeah, I understand. SD card is still needed for boot, but all the files and database etc would be on the USB. While life t less reads and writes to the SD card, should mean longer life from it

Actually you could also boot from network I think. Rpi seems to support PXE.

That would be a win if the Pi 4 is capable. I had seen its possible with the 3B+

and anything you can do on the 3 you will be able to do on the 4… just a question of when and I’d say not too long…

This post suggests (as at it’s date) that PXE is not available yet, but will be ready before USB boot.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1488038&sid=4941a59f2e63e4bbdfd4495ab733f556#p1488038

It didn’t work for me.

Just heard the Raspberry Pi Foundation have today released a new version of the RPi4 with 8Gb RAM.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/8gb-raspberry-pi-4-on-sale-now-at-75/

1 Like