ThermIQ Integration to control Thermia and Danfoss heatpumps

I would use mqtt explorer to look at the actual (if any) mqtt message being sent

Only set messages on mqtt explorer are when I manually click “Room sensor, Set target” (-) or (+). I am running HASSOS, I can change to surpervised, if that would make difference.

I don’t think HASSOS has anything to do with it. Can you check the trigger, or use another trigger to make sure that there is a correct MQTT message sent (when triggered)

Yesterday I had time to play with this, and managed to get room sensor to work with Node-RED. I had not used Node-RED before (but will definitely start using it), and it took a good while to figure out how to format MQTT message for ThermIQ, then found the Function node. For noobs like me, here is how I got it done. Debug is not necessary.

1 Like

Ho everyone.
Im thinking of bying the hardware from Thermiq.
I have a Thermia diplomat G3 and looking for good examples of trim and save som bucks with smart controlling. I habe only seen a few examples from @keex

@keex are u happy about how the code works for ut pump and house. Have u or anyone else made any other smart code?

I was thinking of: is it possible to not allow legionellarun when price is above x.

Hi! I am happy with ThermIQ, as it provides me with full control of the pump. The pump itself could have a bit more flexibility when it comes to customising the heating schedule etc. I haven’t gone too deep down the rabbit hole (yet), but I’m adjusting the hot water temperature according to the needs (shower, sauna, low electricity price etc.).

I’ve disallowed the legionella run by turning off the pump for a minute once the run starts when it comes at an inconvenient time (high electricity price), but I haven’t found a way to trigger it yet.

I’d also be very happy if someone shared their use cases. I’ve actually posted another topic for gathering ideas on what else to do.

If I install this in my Thermia Diplomat will I be able to:

1. Make sure that the water heating only can happen between 00-07:00?
  2. Make sure that legionella heating canoblt happen 00-07:00?

Would be great now that electricity is 0.6 eur daytime and most of the time 0.06 EUR or lower during the night.

Im getting the wrong timezone, im getting BST instead of GMT+1, tried to find the where the stamp coverts but cant seem to find it. Any pointers would help =)

Go back to the initial wifi-configuration of the ThermIQ-mqtt hw where there’s a field after MQTT-server to set current timezone.

During summertime, aka no-heating time, I have my pump set to off except during the three lowest cost hours where it’s set to heat water only.

• I use NodeRED for all my automations inside HA
  • I have Tibber and the Tibber NodeRED integration

Legionella heating is trickier since thermia has no good way of controling it. You could turn legionella heating off completely with ThermIQ and have a NodeRED automation changing target water temperature to 65+ once a month and once run set it back to 55 or whatever.

I’m looking into better ways of cost-based controlling and y’all’s input is appreciated

My control to heatpump is not able to change mode anymore by choosing it my self.
Olso i have been not able to automatic change mode by setting state of sensor/mode.
Where i can find help or excample for that?

BR
Veli (From Finland)

Looks very nice. Can i ask where or how to get nordpol price as sensor?

I initially had it as a REST API sensor, but now there’s an integration: https://github.com/custom-components/nordpool

1 Like

Do you get updated logging, i.e does the timestamp update?

Can you see new messages in MQTT_Explorer?

Can you see a write message is MQTT-Explorer when you change something?

All sensor work. Also i see mode status. I have to install MQTT-explorer again and ckeck if it write.

-Wellu

Hi! I’m looking into measuring my heatpump’s electricity consumption. I see some values such as sensor.thermiq_mqtt_current_consumed_a, which lead me to the question – is it somehow possible to measure the current that the pump is consuming?

Otherwise, the most straightforward alternative would be buying a Shelly 3EM, but it’s €100+. Another alternative is building a 3-phase clamp power meter myself, but with shipping and import taxes, it doesn’t come to much more cheaper than getting a proven-to-work Shelly 3EM.

Hi Toomas,
That value is only valid if you have thermias expansion board and proper current transformers connected.

You can get a modus connected power meter for around 800 sek. Or just use the runtime multiplied with power of pump.

I have a new power meter in my house with a p1 interface providing digital readout of it’s values.

Rgds
/&&

Yeah, I thought about using something like PowerCalc to estimate the consumption. I don’t have access to my smart meter, but I have the aforementioned Shelly 3EM, which gives very precise measurements of my whole house energy consumption, so I should be able to experimentally assign values to the flow pump, compressor and all other etc… percentage-based sensors and assign wattage values to them.

Do I have to reset the whole module to set correct timezone? I.e. there is no way to get in the control page after joining local network?

Is this time/timezone in thermiq just cosmetic thing, does it matter if it is in wrong time as I assume Home Assistant uses it’s own “time stamps” .

EDIT: Totally forgot how simple and easy it was to config. I assume, that I need to disconnect it from Thermia to do the initial config first (manual states “ThermIQ-MQTT needs to be
configured before connecting it to your heatpump”)? It might be good to time for me to change timezone at the same time, when I install the new improved room sensor :smile:

It’s not that complicated is it? :slight_smile:

It’s always safest to turn off the heatpump and disconnect the thermiq, might also be the easiest way to push those tiny buttons.

The timezone is used to set the timestamp in the mqtt message. It’s then up to the receiver to do something with it.

Please mail me once you have the new module connected as the needed firmware is not backwards compatible with the old module and might brick the unit.

Rgds
/&&