This is how i installed hass.io on ubuntu with docker / portainer via ssh

How do I restart hass.io after a system reboot?

Actually, I am not sure what’s running and what not.

$ docker ps
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                 COMMAND             CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                    NAMES
38979625382b        portainer/portainer   "/portainer"        3 minutes ago       Up 3 minutes        0.0.0.0:9000->9000/tcp   peaceful_stonebraker
$ docker image ls
REPOSITORY                               TAG                 IMAGE ID            CREATED             SIZE
portainer/portainer                      latest              19d07168491a        23 hours ago        74.1MB
homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant   0.88.2              ec96e9d6a77b        6 days ago          1.17GB
homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant   latest              ec96e9d6a77b        6 days ago          1.17GB
esphome/esphome                          latest              59d062ff82c4        7 days ago          555MB
homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor    145                 a5e7b092ba19        12 days ago         200MB
homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor    latest              a5e7b092ba19        12 days ago         200MB
ubuntu                                   latest              47b19964fb50        4 weeks ago         88.1MB

Everything worked fine until I rebooted. Hardware: x86 with Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance for help with what I hope is a trivial issue.

2 Likes

It (should) automatically restart on its own.

I know that it should. The trouble is that I have no idea how to diagnose what’s wrong when it does not …

I ended up reinstalling ubuntu and setting up everything from scratch. Rediculous but took less time than to figure out a fix (how?). Working for now and I can restart HA from the gui. Have not dared to reboot yet.

It’s terrific when it works, but a bit challenging when it does not. I am not ready to look at the code.

My next problem is “esphome”. According to the log, it gets installed, but then it does not show up in the dashboard. I know, it should. And I have waited. All day …

I did everything like OP but when i saw the instalation of hassio (this splash with 20min timer) after this It needs to create a user. When i type Name, login and password site reloaded and i type it again and again and it is not moving forward. What i need to do?

I actually no longer run hass.io I’ve switched over to home assistant running in a docker. I think it’s better that way

I’ve got a really weird issue on my NUC.
When i restart hassio, my Ubuntu also suddenly reboots. Anyone else had this issue?

1 Like

sure youre not restarting the host?

Hi David,
Maybe I am!
I’m just going to hass.io menu - System - Reboot (Host System) - does that actually cause ubuntu to restart? I just want to restart hassio to take on config changes, should I do something else to achieve this?
Thanks,
Mat.

well reboot HOST is… surprise surprise going to REBOOT THE HOST!

you want to use the restart server option from configuration… NOT hassio > system… go to configuration…

1 Like

hahah sorry! I only ever used a RPi before this so didn’t realise this is what is does. Thankyou for correcting me

1 Like

Generally the very last thing you want to do is reboot the host. As well as taking more time, if you made a tiny error in config yaml HA won’t restart! With restart server, it won’t restart and will put an error in the log if there is any error s you can correct that before you restart. My NUC has been up for 20 days currently and the last reboot was 70 days up. I only rebooted it because I loaded a bios upgrade and updated the debian distro. By contrast, I’ve restarted Home Assistant hundreds of times…

1 Like

Has anyone had issues with running low on disk space. I am running HASSIO in docker on Ubuntu 18.04 on Unraid VM. My HASSIO disk is showing over 90%. Has anyone tried the "docker system prune " command ?

1 Like

I never realised this, and have had exactly that issue before on the Pi. Thanks for explaining this. Just migrated to a NUC now and am enjoying the performance already.

1 Like

Please, excuse my ignorance, but why would one need 2 ssh’s to the same machine? One for hassio and one for Ubuntu? If I need to do something inside hassio, I can access the hassio CLI through portainer or I can use the docker exec command, right? Or am I missing something?

BTW, I migrated from raspberry to docker running on my retired work laptop (Ubuntu server 18.4.2 LTS, Lenovo T61, C2D, 4 GB RAMM, 256 GB SSD). I run a standard home-assistant image, all the previous plugins are now separate containers (configurator, mosquitto, node-red, tasmoadmin, ESPhome, grafana, influxdb…). There are more than 15 containers running, no performace issues. As my “home OS” is Linux, I ditched samba and use NFS instead, a huuuge improvement! All permanent storage volumes are redirected to one directory on the server, which is then shared via NFS to my /home directory. So convenient…

2 Likes

Package docker-ce is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ‘docker-ce’ has no installation candidate

The stable version of docker for Ubuntu 19.04 doesn’t exist yet. You can use this guide to use the edge / test version.

This command did not work for me (Unbuntu 18.04 on Minix Z83-4). Gave ema “not found” error of some sort.
But this command did:
curl -sL “https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh” | bash -s

I don’t recommend this method now.

I think it’s better to install Ubuntu then docker then home assistant (rather than hass.io).

This does mean you can’t use the hass.io backup feature though, but you can manually back up or download another docker that does the backups and upgrading for you.

Why the change in approach? What’s the benefits/downsides from your original recommendations - asking as I was planning to grab an old laptop and move my install into an Ubuntu environment (following Frencks simplified instruction set as he’s written the bash script)

Could someone provide a bit more detail on Portainer upgrades using the GUI? Here’s what the doc says:

If you’re running Portainer as a container, it’s simply a matter of Docker image version. Just stop your existing
Portainer container, pull the latest portainer/portainer image and create a new Portainer container (using the same
options you used to create the previous one).

I need more direction. :neutral_face: Thanks.

Another conversation about this over here: My steps to success for Hass.io on Intel NUC

Hope it helps!