My steps to success for Hass.io on Intel NUC

I had seen that HASSio relied on Webservices like NTP more than the older method and version in python Venv? So i think from previous comments i have seen i should set up Docker HASSio AND Docker Plex Sever is that correct. Docker is new to me but see lots of recommendations for it as a better way forwards

Most definitely, I run Plex in docker along side Hass.io. Works very well.

1 Like

Underway with this and so far migration from a Pi3 has been pretty easy, one thing i cannot seem to sort is on the Pi I used a cURL command to trigger some RF devices, then for on command created a lock file and off command removed that file. (Also meant HA could report if on or off even after HA restart). Now the cURL works on NUC in Docker and devices turns on/off but the lock file is not being created. I have tried short path to homeassistant folder as well as full system path. Still no luck and no information other than Failed in logs. Any ideas?
I will add that permissions on folders match main user and from terminal it executes and creates fine.

I have homeassistant running on docker with portainer.
Now portainer warns to update to the newest version but i cant find how i can do this.
Does anyone know a step by step, or can someone explain it a bit?
Thanks

Just pull the new Portainer docker image and run it. Same as when you originally installed it. I use a script with docker-compose to pull the new image, stop the old container and then run the new one. You can also use watchtower and it will keep it up-to-date for you.

I actually had to do this just this past weekend. I’m by FAAAR from an expert. I stopped Home Assistant from running, then stopped the portainer container, then logged into SSH and ran these commands:

docker rm portainer 

docker pull portainer/portainer

docker run -d -p 9000:9000 \
--name portainer \
--restart always \
-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock \
-v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer

After a sudo reboot all came back up and I had 1.22.1 in the bottom of the sidebar when I opened Portainer. Again, I’m by far from an expert and hope this helps!

Took Drive drive out of NUC Plug it into Main PC via USB download the img used Etcher plug back into NUC turn it on waiting found it in fing to get IPaddress login install Samba share

got latest backup off Google Drive put it back in the backup folder on the share when to snapshots did a Wipe & restore and prayed

IM BACK Im live

Why

mainly a restore test

Thanks, Mark and David, I am going to try it this weekend.
I try not to mess with things on the evenings because for some reason things don’t work out and I end up with a non working home automation.

I have a NUC8i5BEH3 and have been running hassio for 7 months now. Its been using the 240Gb M.2 drive but I have space for a 2Tb HDD as well so thinking of adding that.

I want to use the NUC for other things including development and programming.

Im running Proxmox with hassio at the moment.

When I’ve installed the drive I will be wiping everything clean and starting a fresh start.

With 2 drives installed should I stick with Proxmox or set up docker and use Portainer?

Anyone done a NUC install direct onto NVMe using the gunzip -c /media/sdc1/hassos_intel-nuc-2.12.img.gz | dd of=/dev/sda bs=4M conv=fsync method as it’s not working for me with the 2.12 GZ file?

Boot gets stuck on clocksource: switched to clocksource tsc.

Anyone seen that?

UPDATE: Tried using a M.2 SATA drive and the dd command works and the HA install completes successfully. Also tried the Proxmox install method on my NVMe M.2 SSD and that works so it appears to be a quirk with the Hassio installer and NVMe? Trying to now borrow a NVMe M.2 external enclosure to see if the Etcher method is more successful.

I have the same issue with Etcher method.

Buggar! I just purchased a PCIe adapter card today in the hope of trying the Etcher method tomorrow. Maybe it’s an issue with the current image? Logged an issue.

I can confirm this today. I used Etcher with the NVMe inserted in a PCIe card and although the write succeeds and the partitions are created, the boot still fails at clocksource: switched to clocksource tsc

Hi there,

just a short question, I successfully managed to dd the hassos intel NUC image on my SSD, and it runs just fine, but what happens to the rest of the unused SSD space the image is not using?

Rgds,
Kirimeister

Doesn’t it expand to the available disk size?

What is the easiest way to check on that?

Login using SSH and run df -h

First line (overlay) should show you total formatted disk size, spaced used and space available. My system below has a 30GB SSD in it.

Thanks, I’ll try this!

Anyone using Hassio on Proxmox with the MariaDB HA add-on? I’ve migrated to a Proxmox based i3 NUC this evening (using wipe and restore) and my recorder and other services relying on MariaDB have died. Figure it’s something to do with the host below so if anyone has a working config, that would be appreciated.

{
  "databases": [
    "hassosdb"
  ],
  "logins": [
    {
      "username": "hass",
      "host": "%",
      "password": "mysglpassword"
    }
  ],
  "rights": [
    {
      "username": "hass",
      "host": "%",
      "database": "hassosdb",
      "grant": "ALL PRIVILEGES ON"
    }
  ]
}

Apparently there is a bug. You need to stop MariaDB before you do a migration backup. I did not. Reinstalled MDB with same settings, all working again.