This is how i installed hass.io on ubuntu with docker / portainer via ssh

It (should) automatically restart on its own.

I know that it should. The trouble is that I have no idea how to diagnose whatā€™s wrong when it does not ā€¦

I ended up reinstalling ubuntu and setting up everything from scratch. Rediculous but took less time than to figure out a fix (how?). Working for now and I can restart HA from the gui. Have not dared to reboot yet.

Itā€™s terrific when it works, but a bit challenging when it does not. I am not ready to look at the code.

My next problem is ā€œesphomeā€. According to the log, it gets installed, but then it does not show up in the dashboard. I know, it should. And I have waited. All day ā€¦

I did everything like OP but when i saw the instalation of hassio (this splash with 20min timer) after this It needs to create a user. When i type Name, login and password site reloaded and i type it again and again and it is not moving forward. What i need to do?

I actually no longer run hass.io Iā€™ve switched over to home assistant running in a docker. I think itā€™s better that way

Iā€™ve got a really weird issue on my NUC.
When i restart hassio, my Ubuntu also suddenly reboots. Anyone else had this issue?

1 Like

sure youre not restarting the host?

Hi David,
Maybe I am!
Iā€™m just going to hass.io menu - System - Reboot (Host System) - does that actually cause ubuntu to restart? I just want to restart hassio to take on config changes, should I do something else to achieve this?
Thanks,
Mat.

well reboot HOST isā€¦ surprise surprise going to REBOOT THE HOST!

you want to use the restart server option from configurationā€¦ NOT hassio > systemā€¦ go to configurationā€¦

1 Like

hahah sorry! I only ever used a RPi before this so didnā€™t realise this is what is does. Thankyou for correcting me

1 Like

Generally the very last thing you want to do is reboot the host. As well as taking more time, if you made a tiny error in config yaml HA wonā€™t restart! With restart server, it wonā€™t restart and will put an error in the log if there is any error s you can correct that before you restart. My NUC has been up for 20 days currently and the last reboot was 70 days up. I only rebooted it because I loaded a bios upgrade and updated the debian distro. By contrast, Iā€™ve restarted Home Assistant hundreds of timesā€¦

1 Like

Has anyone had issues with running low on disk space. I am running HASSIO in docker on Ubuntu 18.04 on Unraid VM. My HASSIO disk is showing over 90%. Has anyone tried the "docker system prune " command ?

1 Like

I never realised this, and have had exactly that issue before on the Pi. Thanks for explaining this. Just migrated to a NUC now and am enjoying the performance already.

1 Like

Please, excuse my ignorance, but why would one need 2 sshā€™s to the same machine? One for hassio and one for Ubuntu? If I need to do something inside hassio, I can access the hassio CLI through portainer or I can use the docker exec command, right? Or am I missing something?

BTW, I migrated from raspberry to docker running on my retired work laptop (Ubuntu server 18.4.2 LTS, Lenovo T61, C2D, 4 GB RAMM, 256 GB SSD). I run a standard home-assistant image, all the previous plugins are now separate containers (configurator, mosquitto, node-red, tasmoadmin, ESPhome, grafana, influxdbā€¦). There are more than 15 containers running, no performace issues. As my ā€œhome OSā€ is Linux, I ditched samba and use NFS instead, a huuuge improvement! All permanent storage volumes are redirected to one directory on the server, which is then shared via NFS to my /home directory. So convenientā€¦

2 Likes

Package docker-ce is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package ā€˜docker-ceā€™ has no installation candidate

The stable version of docker for Ubuntu 19.04 doesnā€™t exist yet. You can use this guide to use the edge / test version.

This command did not work for me (Unbuntu 18.04 on Minix Z83-4). Gave ema ā€œnot foundā€ error of some sort.
But this command did:
curl -sL ā€œhttps://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.shā€ | bash -s

I donā€™t recommend this method now.

I think itā€™s better to install Ubuntu then docker then home assistant (rather than hass.io).

This does mean you canā€™t use the hass.io backup feature though, but you can manually back up or download another docker that does the backups and upgrading for you.

Why the change in approach? Whatā€™s the benefits/downsides from your original recommendations - asking as I was planning to grab an old laptop and move my install into an Ubuntu environment (following Frencks simplified instruction set as heā€™s written the bash script)

Could someone provide a bit more detail on Portainer upgrades using the GUI? Hereā€™s what the doc says:

If youā€™re running Portainer as a container, itā€™s simply a matter of Docker image version. Just stop your existing
Portainer container, pull the latest portainer/portainer image and create a new Portainer container (using the same
options you used to create the previous one).

I need more direction. :neutral_face: Thanks.

Another conversation about this over here: My steps to success for Hass.io on Intel NUC

Hope it helps!