Time is off by 1 hour

When system boots up, I can see there is message which says failed to syncronize the network time. See image…

Google Photos

Following reading through a lot of topics on this I attach another screen shot below. This shows sensor.time as unknown?

Google Photos

Could anyone help me with this issue? I have several time bound automations which are all being triggered an hour early. Also the automations on sunset and sun rise also triggers an hour early. Any help to sort this would be highly appreciated.

Everything in your screenshot shows that it’s all in working order. sensor.time is unkonwn because you most likely don’t have that sensor. All the other peices of information show that your TZ is set properly.

So what triggers are off by an hour?

Thank you very much Petro for your reply. Much appreciated.

Some examples of triggers off by an hour -

1. Sunset is at around 9:30. But the automations for sunset triggers at 8:30 (eg. light comes on)
  2. Logs - instances happening now, shows “in 1 hour”. ie instead of the current time of 18:00. It will show 19:00
  3. Frigate snapshots and videos - Time stamps are 1 hour forward. If it happened at 18:00, it will show as 19:00
    I hope this makes sense

I am guessing the {{ now() }} should show the current time? In my case it is actually 1 hour ahead.

{{ utcnow() }} is actually showing my actual current time.

Did you set elevation in general settings? Also, when you set it, did you make sure it’s set in meters not feet?

can you provide an example?

This will always be the case because frigate only uses UTC

If that’s showing 1 hour ahead you did something wrong. How are you running HAOS?

1 Like

This is my issue. As per my first message, I installed my HAOS on a mini pc and has been running fine for 4 months. No issues with time. Unfortunately the machine stopped working.

So, I now got another mini pc (much more powerful). I just removed the SSD from the previous machine and installed into the new one. Changes the boot sequence, enabled UEFI and disabled secure boot. To my surprise HA booted up normally and all worked fine. Only later I noticed that the time was off by 1 hour. I then checked the system time and Bios - They all showing the correct time.

I’d make a backup of everything (using the backup tool in HA). Wipe the harddrive and start with a fresh image of HA and restore the backup.

1 Like

I could do that. Obviously, I would like to try and avoid that. And why do you think it would fix the issue. If we are restoring from the back up, it will be the same as before right?

Because you replaced all the hardware. The OS talks to the hardware. You now have an OS that’s talking to hardware that may or may not be the hardware it thinks it’s talking to. It’s a recipe for disaster.

1 Like

Google Photos

My log screen

I have never did this. I hope restoring from a back up set everything back up as before? Just a bit worried if everything disappears, I will have to start over again. Most of the things I did was by watching several youtube videos etc. Several days worth of investment :cold_face:

You said you:

That’s taking the OS and putting it on a new unit, unchanged.

Make a backup of your system, transfer the backup to another computer. Then install HAOS on the SSD, overwriting what’s currently on it. Restore the backup once HA is up and running, you may even have the option to restore during the onboarding process.

If you’re really worried, make a backup of your whole hard drive so you can reimage it if you need to.

Either way, the cause of your problems is most likely because you just plopped the SSD from one computer hardware to another.

1 Like

Hi
I just created fresh install on a different SSD. I did not do anything but look at the logbook! :frowning:
Google Photos

Hi Petro
My fresh install on a new SSD still shows 1 hour ahead. I have not added any devices or backed up. See screenshot above.

I am pretty sure now the issue is “Kernel Time Synchronisation” which fails on bootup. This happens in the my original HAOS and the fresh install. Not sure how to fix this. the UTC is showing +1 hr

Sorry, I’m not able to help with that. I can tell you that a fresh install + update from backup will not overwrite the OS settings. So this is most likely an issue with how you set up the hardware in some way.

Anyways, here’s a thread that shows similar problems. No solution but it might give you ideas.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/hassos-hanging-on-boot-stuck-at-wait-until-kernel-time-synchronized/207921

EDIT: After reading the thread, it seems like the general consensus is that it’s a networking issue.

Yes, I already went through the whole thread. I dont think many did what I did. Most were talking about SD card issue, which is beyond me. Some talked about network issue.

The good news is, it looks like I have fixed the issue! The only thing I did was under network - IPV4 was automatic. I changed this to static. Rebooted and voila!. Time is back to normal now. Not sure what changed really as under automatic the IP address was same. But it looks like it did the job.

Thanks for you inputs anyway.

Now when I rebooted the spotify integrations is broken. lol…Not sure why!

1 Like

I had the same issue - all events recorded at + 6 hours
Changing to Static IP fixed it.
Makes no sense though - Maybe it was the “Restart Home Assistant” that really did it??

Yes. Doesn’t make sense but surely not the restart which fixed it. I must have done restart 100 times!