To Proxmox or not to Proxmox

so, if you run dpkg --list | grep kernel | grep amd64 | grep pve it only shows 1 kernel?

root@pve:~# apt list --installed | grep pve-kernel

pve-kernel-5.13.19-2-pve/stable,stable,now 5.13.19-4 amd64 [installed]
pve-kernel-5.13.19-3-pve/stable,now 5.13.19-6 amd64 [installed,automatic]
pve-kernel-5.13/stable,now 7.1-6 all [installed]
pve-kernel-helper/stable,now 7.1-8 all [installed]

What about this? You didn’t upgrade it?

wasn’t available on my early morning update. Is now

question: I need AGH to start as the first container, unfortunately I noticed proxmox starts them based on the ID. Is there a way to set dependencies among containers/VMs?

whenever you see a widget-toolkit update, it breaks the no-nag
have to re-run post install script and re-install the dark theme

1 Like

yes, under options > startup/shutdown order

1 Like

great. I hope they’ll also implement true dependencies…

another thing missing is the ability to shrink disk size…I had to redo some containers/vms multiple times because I was wasting a lot of space…

1 Like

start small, increase as needed

Most of my scripts start small

yes…now I know. :slight_smile:

but with ZFS, LVMs etc. I thought shrinking was possible…

when you leave the HAOS VM, you’ll see a big resource savings
2gb in ram alone

With my HAOS VM script, I set everything to the Minimum recommended assignments except RAM… 4GB RAM - 32GB Storage - 2vCPU

I have 2 VMs left: HA and Compreface. HA for some addons that would require a redesign of some things…so for now I’ll leave it as-is. Compreface unfortunately has severe problems when installed in a container…on VM it’s a snap…

I’ll move HA to LXC soon…

You’ve made unbelievable progress in a very short time! Kudos

1 Like

Well, I have 25+ years of experience in enterprise system/network administration…even though I don’t do that since 10y, when I moved to sales. So I’m an old dinosaur…but the fundamentals are pretty good, I just need to get some rust off. Without the ready-made scripts it would’ve been way harder…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

How do you use the HA development environment along with your prod one. Do you shut prod down and run dev to test thing and then go back?

I want to do the same but I’m not sure I can run two instances at the same time because they’re gonna have two different IPs and device and entities will talk to just one of the two. Am I wrong?

Nice setup, congrats. :slight_smile:
I do see the benefits of splitting into small containers, however I think there is also one big practical downside. In case of a hardware failure you’ll probably face much longer system downtime than if you have HA OS Supervised restored from a single backup to any hardware that can run HA OS - almost no downtime. Please let me know if I’m missing something here.

The downtime though would be isolated to a single service, when HA goes crazy (it happens sometimes) I found nothing was working anymore. Plus, it’s easier to debug issues, because you don’t have other “layers” involved. Even the zigbee network seems to respond faster.

And let alone the startup times…HA starts very very fast now…and its backup is 10 times smaller. HA gui now is snappier, very quick. I can’t be more happy about this setup.

The only problem I just discovered is that in LXC containers, with ZFS, if you use docker inside of them, the default storage driver is VFS, instead of overlay2, and in terms of space allocation it’s very very inefficient. :frowning:

I should have analyzed better the docker integration with LXC when I chose ZFS, probably btrfs would’ve been a better choice. What do you think @tteck? I hope I don’t have to redo everything to change the setup. :frowning:

I just completed the first version of the services dashboard:

I’ve actually been meaning to ask this for a while. I used your post install script to remove the no-nag notice however I still get it. I see the below in my setup, should the last two items be enabled?

If the pve-no-subsription is enabled why would I still be getting the warning?

When you first run the script, the nag has been cached, give it time to clear.
The warning that you’re showing above is normal and will always be shown while a non-enterprise repo is enabled
Never enable the Enterprise Repo unless you’re paying. As far as enabling the pvetest repo, that’s totally up to you.

How much time will it need to clear? I’ve been running your script for about 2 months already.