Todo-List: Sub-Tasks

It would be cool, if we could add Sub-Tasks to an existing Todo-List Entity or if we could Group entities within the Shopping-List / Todo-List

For example:

Shopping List:

Food:
  Vegetables
    Carrots

Clothes

Todo-List:

- Refactor HA Dashboard
  - Add Todo_list integration
  - Add Google- Tasks Integration
  - Add Conditional Cards for User
  - Add Conditional Cards for Screen

- Build a new Playing-House for your Kids
  - Draw some Sketches
  - Shopping-List: Buy Wood
  - Shopping-List: Buy Screws
  - Shopping-List: Buy Smart-Lights

The examples might be a bit weired, but it was the first thing that came up to my mind as an example right now^^

this would allow a better sorting of entities, since some times, tasks do have several sub-tasks - and only if they are checked, the main task would be done, too.

Upvoted. I would also like to see dependencies and sub-tasks should be nestable. While HA is really more of a “personal/home” system I do use it for planning for my winery.

I would love to have displays showing fermentation → bottling …

I agree. I’ve also posted a feature request to add time triggers, notes and url’s, similar to iOS reminders. So much can be done with this feature!

2 Likes

I use Todoist for my todo-lists, which I have added to HA as well. The nested todo-lists show as flat in HA. That makes them really hard, if not impossible to manage them from HA.

Todoist does not use ‘subtasks’, but a partent/child relation between tasks. There’s no(?) limit on how many levels of tasks you have.

2 Likes

Upvote as well.
I’ve been looking for a nice way to share a handful of lists with my wife, but all the bullets are an end goal which have several steps.

This helps us a lot to not overthink or feel overwhelmed if a bullet point has too many steps to be completed and we can’t see them. Seeing the subtasks would be perfect for that!

Hello Home Assistant Community,

Currently, the to-do list system in Home Assistant lacks the ability to add subtasks. While we can create multiple individual tasks, it’s not the same as having a parent task with nested subtasks. This feature is standard in many to-do list apps like Todoist, Microsoft To Do, and Google Tasks.

The addition of subtasks would be particularly beneficial for household management:

1. Shared Responsibilities: For families or households with multiple members, subtasks can help in assigning specific responsibilities to different individuals. For example, the main task “Clean the house” can be divided into subtasks like “Vacuum living room,” “Dust shelves,” “Mop kitchen floor,” each assigned to a different person.
  2. Complex Chores: Larger household projects, such as “Spring Cleaning” or “Backyard Renovation,” can be broken down into smaller, actionable steps, making it easier to plan and execute over time.
  3. Routine Management: Regular tasks such as “Weekly Groceries” can have a checklist of items to buy, ensuring nothing is forgotten and streamlining the process.

Implementing subtasks would greatly enhance the utility and efficiency of the to-do list system in Home Assistant. It would cater to both personal and household task management, making Home Assistant not just a smart home hub but also a powerful productivity tool.

Thank you for considering this request.

Best regards,
Johannes