TP-Link EP10 Smart Plug (mini)

I’ve been down this road before. I have 11 TP-Link Kasa devices (switches & plugs) all working with Home Assistant. I should be a happy camper, but… I just bought some EP10 plugs.

I checked the tplink integration document before making my purchase. I added two plugs using the TP-Link Kasa app and verified they are operational, but I have not been able to get Home Assistant to recognize the new devices.

I restarted H-A. No Joy.
I rebooted the hardware (Raspbery Pi), No Joy.
I shutdown the hardware, powered it off and back on. No Joy.

Anyone have new thoughts for this age old problem?

Thanks!

I revisited:

TP-Link does not seem to care that much about connectivity with thirdparty devices and this is a relative new products released in 2021, after the debates you link to, so maybe it does simply not have a way for thirdparty connections at all.

Got it. Use Manual Configuration Steps to add new devices by IP address:

Repeat as needed.

2 Likes

New guy here just getting started with HA. Started by integrating my Kasa devices and ran into trouble with my EP10 Smart Plugs.

Searching brought me here but nothing seems to work for me. I have three EP10’s and none are discoverable. Manually entering the IP addresses did not work either.

They are connected on a TP-Link S4 Mesh system, they all are configured with DHCP reservation and they do show up as Clients. All EP10’s work through the Kasa and Smart-Things apps fine. The only really strange thing I’ve discovered is that none of the EC10’s answer a ping request.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jerry

No ping response must be related to tbe problem (not sure what would cause that. different subnet?)

I use fixed IPs for all of my Kasa devices. Maybe experimenting with one of your EP10s will reveal a solution.

I also use fixed IP’s for all smart devices and everything is on the same subnet. I’m waiting for a reply from TP-Link to see what they say.

I’m thinking maybe the firmware in the EP10’s are programmed not to reply to ping request. The commands for them might only come from a TP-Link server and they might not work with a local host.

I wrote a program to control my Kasa devices from my PC (the reason for the static IP addresses) but it was before I added the EP10’s. I might dig it up and see if I can add the EP10’s to it, if I don’t get anywhere soon.

Jerry

I can ping my EP10s and get expected responses.

EP10(US) by TP-Link
Firmware: 1.0.2 Build 200915 Rel.085940
Hardware: 1.0

From Device Info in Kasa App:
EP10
Firmware Version: 1.0.2
Hardware Version: 1.0

From Label on Smart Plug:
Kasa Smart Wi-Fi Plug Mini
Model: EP10

No ping responses.

Edit: TP-Link has no idea why this is happening, but I did have a thought to try. Had one more EP10 in box so configured it and it works. It was discoverable in HA and also pings. I’ll Reset/Configure my other EP10’s tomorrow and see what happens.

Edit: Reset/Configured the three causing problems and each one works fine now.
Who knows ???

OK… that version works for me.
I copied the info from Home Assistant:
Settings → Devices & Services → TP-Link Kasa Smart → EP10(US)

image → 1 device

Does anything display for you? something like:

Now that HA can see the EP10’s I can see the configurations for them in HA. Looks to be the same.

After setting each EP10 up again all is well.

1 Like