TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug disappears after latest firmware update

I didn’t do any measurements, but the Shelly S is able to report back current wattage as well as energy consumption.

I’m also tracking voltage (so I can see voltage drops) from the HS110. While I’ve never benchmarked the HS110 against any known meter, ammeter, etc. It seems to do a pretty good job of sampling volts & amps (and therefore watts).

There was a mention that the new python-kasa code for the updated devices would be able to sample faster since it’s UDP based instead of the overhead of setting up a TCP connection for each poll.

Only if you’re in the USA by the looks of it though

I am in Germany.

Sure, what I mean by that is plug type :slight_smile:

You’re right: There are plugs for continental Europe and the US, but as it appears not for the UK. I thought that was also the case but was wrong. Given Brexit implications and the size of the UK market compared to EU and US probably not going happen… Sorry!

Looks like I won’t be purchasing any of the Shelly plugs for now, they aren’t UL listed. I don’t see any other certifications. I contacted Shelly support, they confirmed the lack of any certification. They said “we will see in the future.”

In the US they do sell UL listed versions of their hardwired devices for a few dollars more. I’m probably reading too much into this, but the paranoid part of me thinks there might be an issue with the plug that needs to be changed before it will get approval.

The Shelly 2.5 has CE and UL certification. The manual of the plug states;

Complies with EU standards:
• RE Directive 2014/53/EU 
• LVD 2014/35/EU 
• EMC 2004/108/WE 
• RoHS2 2011/65/UE

But yeah - given the how many people have posted their experiences with Shelly it’s for everybody to decide how much emphasis to put on that.

I’m in Australia :slight_smile: We have the I type connector. But its the same thing really LOL, market is too small to bother with. Can get some kind of adaptor I guess, but just makes it way too chunky. I really don’t understand why everyone else’s plugs are so huge HAHA

Thanks though :slight_smile:

So, after 4 months and 200+ posts since I first posted about this issue, I though I’d update my findings. Firstly:

The problem arises only with UK versions of the TP-Link HS100 and HS110 devices on Hardware Version 4.1 and firmware 1.04.
The problem firmware upgrade was version 1.1.0 which removed local access to the device.
TP-Link released a beta firmware version 1.1.1 to get around the problem. You had to request this firmware directly from their support forum.

I did this for the HS110 device I had, and it it solved the problem. I also had two more HS110s that I wasn’t using at the time.
About two months ago, as an experiment, I set them up with the Kasa app and connected them to Home Assistant. I then waited to see if they were upgraded automatically or if I was offered an upgrade for them.

Nothing happened!

So, one week ago I contacted TP-Link again to request the beta firmware for these devices. This is their reply:

TP-Link: Hi, the beta firmware 1.1.1 has stopped releasing already so there is no need to collect the MAC address. And your current firmware 1.0.4 would not have any issue working with Home Assistant. The previous firmware 1.1.0 which closed the insecure local API had stopped releasing half a year ago and no more plugs would be updated to this firmware; Thank you very much.

This bears out my experience. Basically, they are no longer pushing the problem firmware 1.1.0 to devices so no action is needed. My two devices that are on 1.04 will never be upgraded. So, you no longer need to worry about loosing access to these devices or having to implement strategies to block the update.

3 Likes

Thank you for updating us, and for the concise summary!

One quibble:

Never is a strong word. It could be that TP-Link is busy developing a 1.2.0 version. On the other hand, it may be they abandoned this line and are focusing on whatever hardware is taking its place. In which case you would be correct.

Fair point, especiallly when it comes to anything to do with I.T. or IoT :grinning: However, I suspect from what TP-Link said in their reply that they have abandoned any further development of these devices as far as firmware goes.
Their UK Smart Devices web site shows a new range of Tapo plugs and Amazon UK no longer stocks the HS100 series.

1 Like

Unfortunately, this was not my experience. 3 days ago I had a power cut here, not too bad just enough that everything needed a chance to spin back up. I had been on v1.0.4 for over a year, with no automatic firmware updates etc. Home Assistant was happily tickling along. After the power cut, and everything had come back on, and HA lost access to the HS110 (V4 UK) plugs I have.

Got into the Kasa App to find out what has happened, all 4 have been upgraded to v1.1.0 - and there is no way to change them. TP-Link has not given me anyway to change this, and now I am stuck with a bunch of plugs that HA can’t use.

I have tried the python-kasa link above, and so far not been able to gain local control - let alone any of the usage stats out of it - I will continue to try, but just a fair warning - v1.1.0 is STILL being released (which looks like it happens if the sockets are powered down at the mains end, rather than trying to update it via the app)

1 Like

Well, that’s a bummer! I’ve had my two HS110s on 1.0.4 for several months now without a problem and was reassured by the reply I got from TP-Link. Perhaps you should try contacting them with the MAC addresses of the affected devices to see if they can push out the beta to them. Let me know how you get on.

I haven’t been following it closely so this could be out of date:

The mainline python-kasa project/branch does not yet have the code for the new ports/encryption scheme. There is another branch/fork/PR that has the changes that haven’t been merged.

It might be this PR - Add support for the new encryption protocol by SimonWilkinson · Pull Request #117 · python-kasa/python-kasa · GitHub

Sure, I am not out of options yet! Just spent the day trying a few things (only to find people have tried the same things further up in the thread!) Will continue to see what I can do :wink:

Ooh thanks for that, I had a look around the repo earlier but hadn’t spotted that this is in someone else’s repo being PRed in. I’ll have a quick look and see what happens! Thank you!

I have both HS100 and HS101 plugs (EU versions) on latest firmwares. Tested today, without any internet access on them there is no way to use them. Can’t install them with local only either. So when your internet is down, your smart plugs don’t do anything. Add to that the risk of needing to giving internet access to devices, which can be a security threat.

Very dissapointed in TP-link. Normally a happy customer, but I won’t be buying these plugs anymore. The Zigbee variants seem to work more stable and offer the same Having some good experience with the Aqara smart pug while taking less space.

I have exactly the same plugs (also EU) with internet access disabled, working without a problem with HA…

What firmwares are they on?

Devices:

HS100: HW 4.0, FW 1.1.5
HS110: HW 4.0, FW 1.0.5