TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug disappears after latest firmware update

Interesting, I have the following. All devices have the latest available firmwares (at least the app says so):

HS100: HW 1.0, FW 1.2.6
HS110: HW 4.0, FW 1.0.5
HS110: HW 2.0, FW 1.5.6

I just retested it and now it does seem to work, maybe they were still provisioning since I switched them over to a new WIFI SSID. There unvailability was so abrupt with me cutting of WAN access, that I concluded it wasn’t working.

Will test some more, but seems like local only does seem to work. That’s great news! Thanks for correcting me :smile:

HS100: HW 4.0 FW 1.1.5 - doesn’t work. HA can’t find them.

The problem might be something else as I am on exactly this combination and it has been working just fine.

Did you write to tp-link support to make a change for your device? I didn’t get if it was fixed for all devices or we still need to write to support. Anyway, I wrote to support 2 weeks back but didn’t get any response.

No - HW 4.0 and FW 1.1.5 (seems to be the most recent versions in central EU?) works fine with the HA integration.

Maybe try setting a fixed IP using a DHCP reservation and then add the device using configuration.yaml like this:

tplink:
  discovery: false
  switch:
    - host: 192.168.23.20
    - host: 192.168.23.21

Replace IPs with the IP(s) of your device(s).

1 Like

In my case it is failing communicating with device:

Unable to communicate with device 192.168.68.137: Communication error

In the same time nmap shows that device is down but it is available thru kasa app. So I’m confused.

Feedback from TPLINK

TP-Link: Good day. Since the beta firmware has been stopped pushing already, there is no more beta available now. And We're also planning to push a more secure cloud API in the future before upgrading a more secure local communication authentication method on all Kasa devices. At that time, other third-party platforms/applications can register a developer account on our official website and integrate with us through our more secure APIs. If possible, Please wait for a while for the later official firmware. For more details, please refer to this link: https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/239364 Thanks for your understanding and support.

They confirmed that they won’t help to fix what they’ve remotely broken.
I will never buy from them again.

So they’ve stopped pushing the beta firmware.

But they are saying that they’ll create a more secure Cloud AND local API? That could be worse.

(Of course, they need to now do it AND someone needs to rebuild the HA integration, AND there’s the issue that these plugs have seemingly gone EoL. But yes.)

Is there anyway to get local control back? is there a custom firmware we can flash?

1 Like

Before I state my issue, wanted to say Yes I understand that this integration has issues, however I just want to make sure I’m not the only one with this “new” issue.

So after upgrading to the most recent version of HA, my KP400 outdoor plug is in an unavailable state. In the past I would just reload the integration after restarting HA, and it would come available however its no longer the case. All my other plugs are showing up and I can control them, but no matter what I try the KP400 wont come available.

Checked network settings, etc and non of that has changed.

Just wanting to see if im the only one having issues with the KP400 after most recent upgrade. I would love an alternative to the Kasa plugs, but I havent seen any outdoor rated ones besides the KP400. If there are others, please educate me!

Just came across this in another channel looking to resolve a similar issue… if you have KP400s in your config under strip, not switch, it should work after restart. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I just bought a KP400 hoping I’d get lucky and it looks like for now at least I did.

HW Ver 2.0
FW ver 1.0.6

Works configure as a strip.

1 Like

KP303 HW 2.0 FW 1.0.3 from amazon.ca confirmed to work on ha 2021.10.6

Hey there!

I know this is a discussion about plugs, but wanted to confirm: are the HS200, HS210, and HS220 affected in any way ? Or are those still working with the local connection at the moment ? (i.e. if buying those now and blocking their internet connection, they should keep working ?)

[Context: I’m planning on buying smart switches and I need some 3-way, some regular, and some dimmers. I didn’t find another brand with good pricing offering all three of those at the moment… But I don’t want to spend money on a switch that I won’t be able to integrate with home assistant either]

Thanks!

This is going to be a short post, as it is VERY late, but after a friend of mine (Yamakiroshi) and I worked most of the last few nights trying to pull a number of different branches and forks of the python-kasa module, and manually editing and creating a custom component to override the tplink component - we finally got our first breakthrough!

Success! We have both a cloud-connected, and a local mode only, HS110(UK) with the v1.1.0 firmware controllable and with power usage stats all within Home Assistant again!

Just so people are aware, the code we have been using, the testing we did, was VERY hacky, to a point where if you look at the commit history of the branch I was testing in, its a mess.

The fork we are using is 4 forks down from the main python-kasa branch, bringing in code additions from

Before finally getting to the monstrosity that is: GitHub - TokonatsuFestival/python-kasa: 🏠🤖 Python API for TP-Link Kasa Smarthome products

I do have a very hacked together custom component copied from the TPLINK version, updated to cover what was needed to override the existing plugin, and I need to clean that up (as it follows no best practice whatsoever, and genuinely has secrets in because we were getting frustrated with the issues!)

Hopefully, this at least brings some light at the end of a very long tunnel, and we will continue to work on this.

That being said, we are not experts at this, far from it - I will be looking for support to try and get this into a state that both the python-kasa and the tplink sections are updated to the high standards that the contributors to both are all happy with, but as this is my first time - it’s a steep learning curve!

Thank you again, and I will try and post more updates soon.

2 Likes

Hi Colin,

Nice timing, it’s just one year (!) since I first posted about this issue :scream:.Keep us posted on progress.

I had pretty much given up on these devices, but I tried the recent update to the Home Assistant TP-Link Kasa integration. This has worked almost flawlessy since then with one important exception - it’s current reading are wildly inaccurate.The one I have attached to my freezer normally shows about 0.5A being drawn, but about once every couple of hours it rises to about 25A.This makes it useless for any form of automation or power monitoring.
Good luck with the project.

@sota

There might be a very interesting option:
`

Received my first
@esphome_
device yesterday to mess around with. Its a pre-installed smart plug
from Athom and delivered in 8 days from China! I'm amazed at how
easy ESPHome is and the quality of the plug. pic.twitter.com/tiV3da7F9L

Matthias de Baat (@matthiasdebaat) November
11, 2021

`

I have ordered 4 of those myself and will report back. If they hold up to testing it would be a very flexible solution for ~12 EUR a piece. As they are based on ESPHome they are fully local and not dependent on any 3rd party services.

@mystcb Great news and please keep it up!

@sota Agreed that 25A seem a bit too steep :wink:. Still it’s natural for a freezer to have jumps and drops in the consumption because the cooling compressor does not run all the time…

It’s been an interesting few weeks with work and such, but spotted to replies to me on the Python-Kasa repo, and just spotted this reply too! Realising it had been so long I have had a go at trying to get things sorted. So cleaned up the mess I made and sorted it out a little, and have raised a new PR for the python-kasa repo.

This PR is the work that SimonWilkinson has completed, plus the additional work I did to make it work, and everything merged since the original fork was made. It’s just the first step.

Once these changes are added, it means the module will be able to support the new KLAP protocol. From here, I should then be able to start putting together hopefully a second PR that updates the HomeAssistant Plugin, with the ability to add the Username/Password, and hopefully completing this loop!

That being said, I have NEVER written anything for a HA Plugin before, and the work I did to get the plugin working for me is… hacky best.

The gist above are the two files I changed in the tplink plugins folder to make this work… (as you can see, I hardcoded the Auth string into the code as I am still working out how to make that work) - but if you were to use the PR’ed version of the python-kasa code, plus these two files replaced, then it works (for plugs attached using the new protocol only).

I’ll keep everyone going with my progress, but for the moment everything I have is here so that hopefully others might be able to assist as well!

1 Like

@mystcb thanks for the PR on python-kasa, I haven’t had really time to go through it yet, but it’s a great step forward to get it integrated! :tada:

Feel also free to open a PR on homeassistant to make it easier to review the changes that are needed on homeassistant’s side to make these devices work! You can mark the PR as a draft for the time being to signify that it’s not yet ready to be reviewed while still making it easier to review the code already prior the necessary upstream changes are done :slight_smile: