TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug disappears after latest firmware update

Everyone keeps mentioning contacting ‘support’ but are you contacting the support in your local area or global? Being located in Australia i’ve attempted to contact the local support via the online form on the tplink site but no reply or even no confirmation email received to say the online submission was received.

Sadly HA doenst read the power management/readings from Shelly 1PM :frowning: which was the basis for my own purchase of the HS110 instead.

According to TP-Link only the UK version is affected
https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/239364

Maybe try to contact the creator of the above post in TP-Link forum.

Oh, I didn’t realise this. Truth be told I don’t actually use the HACS integration but a friend of mine does, albeit he doesn’t have the 1PMs though. I flashed all of my Shelly 1’s with Tasmota. The Hive plugs (version 1613V) support energy reading. They’re ~£35 though. Even cheaper than that is the Smart things GP-WOU019BBDWG or the Salus SP600. These are all UK plugs though, you’ll have to look down the Z2MQTT list and have a look for Aus versions. Smarthings might be your best bet.

Quick question:
Why flash them with Tasmota? What more does Tasmota gives versus the original firmware?

Thanks

Good question. There’s nothing wrong with the Shelly firmware - I found it functional and stable. It just comes down to personal preference. I can compile Tasmota myself and make changes (Idk if the Shelly firmware is open source, didn’t check). There’s also a ton of configuration that can be done via the console in Tasmota. It’s not that I found the Shelly firmware lacking as such, but I tinker with stuff a lot so Tasmota appeals to me more. I know the Shelly firmware is very feature-full but I am familiar with Tasmota as I have a fair few devices running it. With that said, it was a while ago that I last used the Shelly firmware, it may well have improved and become more like Tasmota. Maybe I’ll try it again soon.

1 Like

Thanks for the details.
I like tinkering things myself as well and considered a couple of times if it would worth to start using Tasmota with my Sonoff or Shelly. In the end never used the Sonoff but now that my Shellies are increasing in number was curious if I should spend some time experimenting with it.

In any case going back on topic still no downgrade on my two HS110 v4.1 (I have four more that are blocked from internet so luckily no update on those and still work).

Sadly not, my 2 x HS110 doing the exact same behaviour. After my posts here yesterday though by coincidence, tplink support responded via email (might be because I kicked off my Nth online chat) asking for help/clarification. They took me through the ‘factory reset’ process with the “there you go its all fixed” … only to have it return to ‘local only’ 2-3mins later. It’s now been escalated to the engineering dept whom apparently are the only ones who are capable of setting specific firmware versions to mac addresses within the kasa/tplink system. So we wait and see now.

Fingers crossed.

Good news, this morning all my HS100 units (UK ver, h/w v4.1) received the new firmware, 1.1.1.
I reloaded the TP-Link integration and they all appeared :slight_smile: :christmas_tree:

I just tried it on my plug and got “Update not complete. Please try the update again” :angry:

I got that too but it had completed anyway

This is good news! Just so I understand (it’s still early here) is the new TP-Link firmware fully compatible with the current HA integration? No need to use prior version firmware or a pre-release HA integration?

Yes, it works with the standard HA integration.

My HS100 units (UK v4.1) received the new Firmware 1.1.1 today and are also now all working in HA.

I kept getting a download error for the update so power cycled the plug and tried again and it worked!

I had to factory reset it and re-add it to the app before it would update. Running 1.1.1 now, so that’s a nice conclusion after 35 days of waiting :wink: :angry:

1 Like

Hurrah!

The app isn’t displaying that description properly, but looks like ‘local’ there in the bottom right. And I see the words ‘authentication for’ before that. :smiley:

Hahah. No such luck. I was hoping for a minute I wouldn’t have to factory reset as I have them setup as “dumb” timers via the app at the moment.

Repeated attempts don’t change the outcome. Have tried power cycling too. I’ll try resetting them and updating again tomorrow. So I wonder if more of us than not will end up having to factory reset our units like @sota.

Ok, curiosity got the better of me. I reset them and the firmware update started. It hung both times from within the app though, and I had to quit the app, reopen, remove the plug and repair :thinking:

When I finally paired them, I got a message about remote access not being enabled, and now in the plug settings I see this:

So it looks like the best of both worlds now. Regardless, the plugs are being blocked from WAN now they’ve updated.

I’m seeing “Remove local authentication for local…” on that last line. This sounds very much like what we were hoping for.!

Anyone out there able to read the next line?

It works…never look a gift horse in the mouth :laughing: