TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug disappears after latest firmware update

“It works” is the minimum I expect for a product I’ve paid for. I’m not sure I’d go so far as to call that a gift.

Anyway, the reason I’m curious is because I want to know the long-term viability of TP-Link devices in an environment where something other than the Kasa app is used.

If TP-Link plans to support that, their hardware is still on my list. If not, I’ll go elsewhere. But so far they don’t seem to have documented their decision one way or the other.

Well, they’ve rolled together a firmware that can use either local or cloud. I wouldn’t be too comforted by this though because:

1. They made us sign disclaimers
  2. They required the MAC addresses so they could release just to users who flagged an issue.

I don’t think this is long term support… otherwise they would have released it globally. They also have the stance that the local connectivity is a vulnerability, hence moving to cloud.

I think this is pleasing a small group of users. They do not consider the firmware they have released safe. Otherwise why involve legal? Whether this is just the short term whilst they figure out how to implement a local & cloud solution that’s more secure … who knows.

1 Like

As far as I understand it, they’ve built a new local api with greater security. Although it’s undocumented people have already has success using it but it’s just going to be a while before it ends up in the home assistant component for a few reasons. To help people now TP-LINK have allowed the continued use of the old api but long term it looks to me like there should be no problem using the new api for integrations.

Only one of my devices got the update, no issues updating and seeing it back online in homeassistant! TP-Link however missed the rest of my HS110 v4.1 devices.

I’d first try resetting and re-adding those devices. If that doesn’t help, get straight back onto them via email.

For some reason they just forgot my second device, so reminded them.

What’s interesting is that I have a few more HS110 v4.1 which are on firmware 1.0.4. I have them blocked from internet. I asked TPLink support if they will be updated to 1.1.10 firmware once I unblock them. They advised me that they will not and they will remain on 1.0.4.

1 Like

Is anyone having an issue with their plug’s schedule / timer settings from within the Kasa app on v1.1.1?

It’s really not a major issue but I am just curious. I hadn’t had the time to sort my HA automations for the fixed plugs, so I was still using the schedule page in the app for 1 set of Christmas lights. After updating to v1.1.1, I set the Kasa schedule again. I’ve just gone into that this morning to remove it and shift control to HA, and it won’t display the page.

This is only for 1 out of 2 plugs. The other works fine. I won’t be using this from now on, so it’s no real issue but I wonder if there’s a bug in the firmware.

Does anyone know if this issue also affects the TP-Link KP105 as well and if it does is their a firmware update to deal with it?

AFAIK, it’s only the HS100 and HS110’s. It’s not impossible that this will get rolled out to other products too. If you email them on the above support email, they should be able to tell you. Just make reference to the users with HS100/110 plugs that were recently upgraded to v1.1.1.

I’m still waiting. How do you do a factory reset as my HS110 devices still don’t work even after TP LInk added the MAC addresses about 2 weeks ago. Thanks

Hold the cog button on the top edge for at least 10 seconds until the Wifi icon flashes orange, you will also hear the relay click on and off either as you do this or just after you release (don’t remember which). The firmware didn’t automatically push for me, I had to go into the firmware settings for it to pop up.

@ellnic,

Thanks for the quick reply. I ask as I’ve got some on order that are due to be delivered today or tomorrow and knew they were listed as being HA compatible but hadn’t seen this issue before ordering.

I have now noted that someone has mentioned that their KP105’s had recently stopped working with HA in this thread and also in https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2020/11/23/tplink-local-access/ .

It appears there is a somewhat manual process at TP-Link’s end for to get the fixed version. I submitted my MAC address ages ago, but no sign of an update. I’ve been in touch with them again, they requested screenshots of the device info to confirm the details and they just said that it would be included in the “next batch” sometime in the next 2 weeks.

So if you don’t get the update, get in touch with TP-Link again and pester them, they may have just missed you off their list by accident.

@Ollie222 you may find they just work. If not, email them and request the same treatment as the HS series. You may get some luck.

@MrMandrake it does indeed seem to be very manual. Almost like a spreadsheet of affected devices, pasted into a console once they have enough!

@ellnic Thanks for the reply, I was checking so that if I knew for sure they didn’t work I’d just send them back before opening them.

As it is I’ll probably give them a go anyway.

You’ll probably find that if they don’t work, it’s not going to be forever. They’re so popular either:

1. TP-Link will solve the issue
  2. An improved integration will access the plugs on their new port

Obviously we can’t guarantee either, but there seems to be a lot of progress on 2, and TP-Link are not closed to helping HA users, which seems to suggest that they will eventually figure it out. The negative press seemed to do it’s job nicely.

Today my HS-100 and HS-110 stopped being able to communicate with HA. Since I see here multiple inputs from several users, what is the indicated way right now? Reset them and wait for the new firmware, contact tp-link or both?

Thank you in advance.

So one of my HS110 has been offered the firmware ‘upgrade’ but errors out every time when I try to flash it. Sits at 0% and just states ‘update not complete’. I have brought the switch right next to my AP, done a reset but nothing works.

Not impressed at the moment.

Any suggestions?

@elementoulis Contacting TP-Link is absolutely necessary, if you don’t they won’t push to you. It’s nothing to do with the distance from AP.

You need to:

1. Contact TP-Link and request a downgrade (or upgrade depending on your perspective)
  2. Wait some weeks for the next bulk push
  3. See the firmware update and install it, if it fails reset the plug by holding the cog button on the top for 10 seconds then repair, it should work then

@gr4z See above, this is a hit and miss situation. Some have experienced it, some have not. Reset the plug using the cog button on the top. Hold it for 10 seconds then re-setup the plug. It will upgrade then.

@everyone May I take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy new year and best wishes for 2021. May it be a better year. Happiness and health to you and yours.

@ellnic I did contact TP-Link and sent them the setup of my TP-Link HS-110 devices. They claimed that the issue I was referring to was only affecting hardware v4.0 HS-110 devices and that my v2.0 HS-110 devices should be working with HA as expected. For my v4.0 device they said that it had already the “proper” firmware for it to also work with HA. So all in all they didn’t provide me with anything.

This is the setup that I have - and I also sent them:
Model HS100 - HW Version 2.0 - Firmware Version 1.5.6
(this one still works)

Model HS110 - HW Version 4.0 - Firmware Version 1.0.5

Model HS110 - HW Version 2.0 - Firmware Version 1.5.6

Model HS110 - HW Version 2.0 - Firmware Version 1.5.6
(those seem to briefly work if I remove and readd the Kasa integration in HA but go fully unavailable again in a while without a valid reason)

What is the recommended course of action in my instance?