TP-Link HS210 3-Way Kit

Just wanted to report that I have (just in the past two weeks) installed 2 of the new TP-Link HS210 3-Way light switches and they seem to be working fine!

I also recently tried 6 of the new LB230 bulbs and they are also working great.

Very happy, thanks to everyone who is working on the TP-Link code. I now have EVERY light and fan in my house (68 devices) automated with TP-Link, HA, and Google Home. Works great!

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5622_HS210-KIT.html

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5609_LB230.html

2 Likes

do these wire in place of the existing 3 way light switches?

from the link Iā€™m not sure what this is doing.

are they mains powered or battery powered?

Yes they wire in place of existing 3 way switches. They are mains powered and wifi just like the HS200 switch. The only difference in setting them up is (of course) the extra wire (traveler wire). Each wire location on the switch is clearly marked and itā€™s a snap to install. Then when you use kasa to setup the switch you do the normal ā€˜find new deviceā€™ and walk through the setup again just like the HS200 the final difference is (and the software walks you through it) that you have to press and hold the 2nd switch in the pair OFF for 10 seconds until it starts blinking to sync the pair together. In HA it worked just as a normal tp link switch. My only complaint is that the little indicator LEDā€™s are slightly dimmer than the HS200 so when you have them grouped together in a 2 or 3 gang switch panel its noticeable which one is the HS210 vs HS200(easy to identify the 3 way I guess).

OK, so they replace the existing switches so you can control a non-smart light fixture/bulb with either the switches or via HA?

If thatā€™s the case I think Iā€™ll definitely have to try them out. Iā€™ve got three circuits that have 3 way controls that Iā€™ve been pondering how I was going to integrate them into HA because of the wiring involved.

Thanks for the info!

Yes they are a direct replacement for your standard (dumb) 3 way switches (for non-smart bulbs) and they are controlled by the TP-Link kasa app, google home (and I think Amazon), and HA without any issues.

I was in the same boat, had 2 3-way switches that I couldnā€™t figure out what to do with. Fortunately early last year I read a paper that suggested some of the products we are now seeing on the market and I challenged myself to automate with as few vendors/products/apps as possible. I have managed to automate everything in my house (including fans, sprinklers, garage door, switches, and bulbs) using only TP-Link products (and cheep Monoprice z-wave PIR/door sensors). Makes everything SO much simpler.

Oh and TP-link just turned on their IFTTT channel so yeah thereā€™s thatā€¦

1 Like

awesome!

thanks again.,

one more question that isnā€™t obvious from the websiteā€¦

do you have to use the faceplate that comes with it or can you use just the switches in a 2 or 3 gang box with a different appropriate faceplate?

Thanks for your report, I just updated the readme to include that model: https://github.com/GadgetReactor/pyHS100/commit/bda2ce0d89d0d3ea4c561d54e3fa550324c15b71 :slight_smile:

Nice! Thanks for the report. Was about to ask this.

You can use any standard ā€œDecoraā€ switch plate/face plate.

thank you. iā€™ll definitely keep this in mind when iā€™m ready to upgrade.

Questionā€¦Will this HS210 work only with the Kasa App or can I use anything elseā€¦
I have a different smart switch controlled using smart life App.
Not wanting multiple Apps and multiple devicesā€¦
Wanting this because of the 3 way capability.
thanks

My understanding is that the TP-Link products require the use of the Kasa app but once setup they can be controlled by Google home, IFTTT, HA, and other systems.

walker1477
From your experience do you think you really needed to install both smart switches for it to work? My thinking is the old ā€œslaveā€ switch could be left in place and just the ā€œmasterā€ needs to be replaced with the smart switch.
I am hoping the answer is yes as I could not find any detailed installation instructions to verify but I managed to order a set (before they went out of stock the same day).
I will find out soon as they should arrive next week.

I think the vendors are making this too hard, as all they really need to do is change the relay in the standard switch from a SPST to a SPDT one and your go to go.

Update:
I just installed one of the 3 way switches as noted above and it works perfectly. I just bypassed the ā€œpairingā€ of the switches so now I can replace an other 3 way switch. Each switch is smart enough to know if the light is really on when connect this way with the original switch. 3 Thumbs up - :slight_smile:

So were you able to use the 2nd switch on another 3 way light/circuit? I also used just one on a 3 way light and everything works fine with casa. 2nd switch did not have a neutral wire so was never connected. So I was thinking on trying it on another 3 way light.

I already order a HS210 kit. I was planning to connect both switches in one 3 way circuit. Reading your comment, I figure out that I can replace only one 3 way switch in the circuit, My question is: How does the actual (not smat switch) works if I turn off this switch. Are still the Kasa App of Google home assistant able to turn ON and OFF the light? Thnak you for your answer.

So because I donā€™t understand berry well I can configure the hs210 with the same configuration for the hs200 ??

Assuming you mean configure as in configuration.yaml? Yes you just use the same setup as you would for a HS200 and it seems to work fine.

switch:
  - platform: tplink
    host: IP_ADDRESS

Hi! Iā€™m a newbee in home automation, and am starting with 2 of the TP-Link HS200 switches. I hope to add some Arduino DIY sensors later, but I want decisions and switching to be done in PC software and UL smart switches.
I see that Home Assistant supports these switches. What I donā€™t quite get is if Home Assistant will be updated of the switch status.
Will Home Assistant be kept aware of the switch state if switched manually or by the Kasa app?
What command do I use in Home Assistant; is it something like ā€˜switchā€™ or is it ā€˜onā€™ and ā€˜offā€™?
Be nice to know before I go and install the software and configure things in it.
Thanks!