TP-Link offers way to add local API back

I have a:

KP400(US)by TP-Link
Firmware: 1.0.15 Build 200825 Rel.111911

And as of a few days ago, no matter what I do, I cant get it to work with HA anymore. All my other Kasa’s work fine though.

I have another KP400(US) that is on firmware Firmware: 1.0.6 Build 200821 Rel.090909 which is still working.

Could my issue be related to this? I know its not one of the 2 affected models but since its running a newer firmware than the one that is sitll working, i am suspect of it.

that solution worked for me.

HS110 hw 1.0 fw 1.2.5

not upgrading the firmware just in case

You can use the hue emulation feature in HA to make available your light and/or switch entities on your local network in a way that Alexa discovers them (without ANY additional skills - including Philips Hue). This will give you voice control of on/off/dimming (but no color) for your devices. If you happen to have an Echo Plus (1st or 2nd gen) or an Echo Show 10 1st gen, you will even have local voice control over these devices.

I believe this is one of the best kept secrets of the Alexa ecosystem. I learned about this feature four years ago when I setup my first Echo (Dot) to allow voice control of my extensive X10 setup. Just successfully tested the local control feature earlier this week as I do have an Echo Plus 1st gen in my collection of Alexa devices. Neither Nabu nor any other cloud or subscription services are required.

1 Like

HI all I am now having a similar issue on my HS200 sires devices. I can only control them with HA if I have an internet connection. This started after updating the firmware.

This solved for me too. I think this is ideal fix for nabu casa users who have google assistant integration. Follow the link from @tarheelz unlink your lights from your Kasa account and put them on guest. Then delete and reinstall home assitant integartion fro TP Link Kasa. Not full control both by HA and google home voice within house.

@system Hello, can you read this thread created by @MCLF

Does this mean tp-link HS110 V4 1.1.0 have a chance to work with Home Assistant again?
Thank you for your help:

Feedback from TPLINK

TP-Link: Good day. Since the beta firmware has been stopped pushing already, there is no more beta available now. And We're also planning to push a more secure cloud API in the future before upgrading a more secure local communication authentication method on all Kasa devices. At that time, other third-party platforms/applications can register a developer account on our official website and integrate with us through our more secure APIs. If possible, Please wait for a while for the later official firmware. For more details, please refer to this link: https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/forum/topic/239364 Thanks for your understanding and support.

What a shameful company, I will never buy from them again.

1 Like

awesome! this works for many of my tp-link devices.

the following models and versions all are now working.

Model: KL130, Hardware Version: 1.0, Software Version: 1.8.11
Model: HS105, Hardware Version: 1.0, Software Version: 1.5.6
Model: HS105, Hardware Version: 4.0, Software Version: 1.0.2
Model: HS200, Hardware Version: 2.0, Software Version: 1.5.5

the following require a cloud account and no longer work.

Model: KP400, Hardware Version: 1.0, Software Version: 1.0.15
Model: HS107, Hardware Version: 1.0, Software Version: 1.0.10

note that most of these devices were upgraded after i re added them using a private account (no account).

@tarheelz thank you for your perseverance and being motivated to mention this idea. theres too much info about what isnt working, and only your one single post about what dos work.

thanks

I just built a house and had 72 TP-Link Kasa switches installed. Some single pole, 3-way, and dimmers. All 72 have worked flawlessly in HA without the cloud (I have them on a separate VLAN blocked from WAN). They are also crazy fast! I have a few automated to turn closet lights on when the closet door is opened (binary sensor using ESPHome). They turn on so fast that the wife thinks that someone left the closet light on.

I’m just using this code in my configuration.yaml.

tplink:
  discovery: false
  switch:
    - host: 192.168.2.83
    - host: 192.168.2.125
    - host: 192.168.2.133
    - host: 192.168.2.249
2 Likes

Thanks for this post, definitely saved me some time. I just bought an outdoor 2 outlet Kasa EP40 today, only to get it on my network and realize that the Home Assistant TP-Link Kasa integration wasn’t seeing it. My first clue should have been that the only way the Kasa app would let me get the device on the network was to sign up for an account. I found a few options to skip the account setup, but ultimately forced me to create a cloud account to configure that device type. Once I had it on the network, I tried the Home Assistant integration, but it didn’t find any devices. At first I assumed it was because I run a separate IOT VLAN, but then started reading through all of these threads to see they seem to be pulling away local access options.

On the bright side, I was able to specify the integration and host in the configuration.yaml as suggested by @bphillips921 which is working for now. I am a bit concerned about whether it will continue to work, but it’s the only Kasa device I have and for $20 I’ll just leave it integrated until it breaks. Hopefully TP-Link comes through on this, but I won’t likely buy any more until I know for sure.

If it helps anyone, my device info shows

• Model EP40
  • Hardware Version 1.0
  • Firmware Version 1.0.2

configuration.yaml

tplink:
  discovery: false
  strip:
    - host: 192.168.5.186

Hmm, interesting :wink:

Just make sure I understand: if you had your plugs in the Kasa app, you probably first removed them from there so they would be disconnected from the TP-Link cloud, right ?

Then, you say you put them in a separate VLAN such as to block them from the internet. I get that, but I am not familiar with setting up VLANs :upside_down_face:… How do you configure this VLAN ? I guess this is router specific (I am on an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter), just trying to understand the general approach!

EDIT: got it working :smiley: As all my plugs had already static addresses, I just tried your method with one plug and it worked! Didn’t need to deregister it from the Kasa app, nor to set up a VLAN. Now I may still want to go the VLAN way and to dump the Kasa app to avoid trouble, I guess…

1 Like

They were all new plugs/witches that hadn’t been adopted yet. I’m sure you could factory reset each switch by holding down the small horizontal button on the bottom left.

I use a Unifi Dream Machine Pro, I set up the VLAN in there with the help of that community. I’m far from an expert, although it wasn’t too tough. Just make sure it’s a “Corporate” VLAN so the devices can talk across VLANs. Then I set some firewall rules under Firewall>LAN IN to block traffic on the VLAN. My VLAN is called “NOT” and my HA IP is 192.168.1.100, here are the rules I set

3 Likes

Thnx :smiley: Will give it a shot!

And many thanks for finding this out… :+1: :clap:

I submitted a PR to make cross-network discovery work, but so far it’s been ignored.

Just curious if you use your TP-Link stuff with a voice assistant like Alexa or google home?
I assume if the devices are prevented from connecting to the internet the voice assistant skills will not work. Thx

I use the Google assistant integration in HA to control the tp-link lights. It works great!

1 Like

Do you use the same header of “switch” for your dimmers?

Nope, adding a dimmer would look like.

switch:
    - host: 192.168.2.83
    - host: 192.168.2.125
    - host: 192.168.2.133
    - host: 192.168.2.249
  dimmer:
    - host: 192.168.2.100
1 Like

@tarheelz thank you very very much for sharing. Almost wrapped plug and sent it back to the store, it stopped working with HA today…
Now, in local mode it works with HA!!!

1 Like

So your TP-Link Kasa 3-way switches work with the config as well??? I’ve held off on getting the 3-way switches thinking they wouldn’t work without the Kasa app.