TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug disappears after latest firmware update

@NamCisum - Thanks for the info. Forgot that I have all I need if I wanted to run some experiments.

The ice maker uses between 1.0-2.5 kWh a day according to the HS110. No idea how accurate that is. Unfortunately, I can’t easily automate it to tell it not to drop ice at night.

FYI: For anybody who lands in this thread. TP-LINK have stopped offering the Beta software (ver1.1.1) since Feb 8, 2021 :frowning:

I’ve written to them twice - once to ask for the v1.1.1 firmware - which was declined - and once more to ask if the 2020-02-08 deadline can be extended. Maybe if more people ask as well them might help us out again.

I wouldn’t be hopefully of this new local API they are talking about. It sounds to me like they would want Home-Assistant devs to sign up to some commercial agreement for access to it. It sounds like it would really mean having to use the TP-LINK cloud solutions instead of a true local API. That’s my gut feeling of where this is headed.

see the other thread:

Sorry I’m late to this, but thank you for the heads-up. I don’t really look at the total daily usage value for what I’m doing now, but I’ll keep that in mind in the future!

For the record, my devices have been blocked by the firewall for some months, and have been powered off at least once, but the time seems to be accurate. The only way I can tell is the Kasa app shows “Today - Current Runtime” and at 10:30 AM it changed to 10.5 hrs. Since this device hasn’t been turned off, I assume that means it reset at local midnight.

Yes, mine does on Android. And it reports all the stats you’d expect. It looks like I can set up schedules and timers and all that too, although I don’t happen to use those features.

Thanks for this, I thought I would have to write a series of automations with counters etc to obtain this information! I will test this out later this week.

I noticed with my TP-Link HS110 that after a power cut last week the sensor for “daily kwh” changed in home assistant to “total kwh” - this may be because the plugs are completely blocked from outside internet and can no longer contact the time server. This suits me fine now that I’ve discovered the utility_meter feature!

I’ve got two smart plugs :

• HS110, hardware 2.1, firmware 1.5.10 -> works well since a long time
  • HS110, hardware 4.1, firmware 1.1.0 -> suddenly stopped working a few days ago

Could someone share the link to the fixed “beta firmware” ?

VERIFIED and viable path to workaround found

Head over to this thread on github
https://github.com/plasticrake/homebridge-tplink-smarthome/issues/154

Yes, I know it’s a HomeBridge thead and not Home Assistant, but hear me out.

I can verify that I have regained local control of my HS100 (UK) V4 plug
(with Firmware 1.1.0) using the: python-kasa library .

From terminal on my laptop I can see the plug on my local network,
obtain its state information and most importantly turn it ON and OFF.
All from the command line.

Again, to emphasize, this is ALL on my local network. I’m not using TP-LINK cloud service (or any cloud service). I have these TP-LINK plugs running on a separate wifi network that physically does not have external access to the internet.

So this verifies that we can regain local control of these plugs without port 9999 thanks to the python-kasa lib.
Next step is to integrate it into the home assistance TP-LINK plugin
or maybe spin up a new one.

It’s also possible we could use this regained access to flash the plugs with an older
version of the firmware (or the beta firmware).
But I think the better solution is to look to a future without port 9999 access.

Kudos and thanks to Blake (aka ghostseven) over on the HomeBridge thread and the major kudos to the python-kasa devs at https://github.com/python-kasa/python-kasa

1 Like

For those needing a solution now or do not want to rely on TP-Link keeping things steady my tests showed Shelly Plugs to be closest: Can be configured more or less the same way (connect to them as WiFi AP, connect them to your wifi, HA discovers them or you assign a fixed IP and point to it), all local / no cloud needed, support MQTT if you want that and seems to be working reliably. Also way better commitment to integration with HA (actively supported, not just barely tolerated). Price is roughly the same as the HS110, bit more expensive than the HS100.

1 Like

@NamCisum - Thanks for the tip. I had not looked at the Shelly plugs yet. I’ve been waiting for the TPLink KP115 to be supported, because I believe the HS110 is discontinued.

How does the Shelly Plug’s power metering compare to the HS110s? (Power metering is main reason I’m using HS110s)

I didn’t do any measurements, but the Shelly S is able to report back current wattage as well as energy consumption.

I’m also tracking voltage (so I can see voltage drops) from the HS110. While I’ve never benchmarked the HS110 against any known meter, ammeter, etc. It seems to do a pretty good job of sampling volts & amps (and therefore watts).

There was a mention that the new python-kasa code for the updated devices would be able to sample faster since it’s UDP based instead of the overhead of setting up a TCP connection for each poll.

Only if you’re in the USA by the looks of it though

I am in Germany.

Sure, what I mean by that is plug type :slight_smile:

You’re right: There are plugs for continental Europe and the US, but as it appears not for the UK. I thought that was also the case but was wrong. Given Brexit implications and the size of the UK market compared to EU and US probably not going happen… Sorry!

Looks like I won’t be purchasing any of the Shelly plugs for now, they aren’t UL listed. I don’t see any other certifications. I contacted Shelly support, they confirmed the lack of any certification. They said “we will see in the future.”

In the US they do sell UL listed versions of their hardwired devices for a few dollars more. I’m probably reading too much into this, but the paranoid part of me thinks there might be an issue with the plug that needs to be changed before it will get approval.

The Shelly 2.5 has CE and UL certification. The manual of the plug states;

Complies with EU standards:
• RE Directive 2014/53/EU 
• LVD 2014/35/EU 
• EMC 2004/108/WE 
• RoHS2 2011/65/UE

But yeah - given the how many people have posted their experiences with Shelly it’s for everybody to decide how much emphasis to put on that.

I’m in Australia :slight_smile: We have the I type connector. But its the same thing really LOL, market is too small to bother with. Can get some kind of adaptor I guess, but just makes it way too chunky. I really don’t understand why everyone else’s plugs are so huge HAHA

Thanks though :slight_smile:

So, after 4 months and 200+ posts since I first posted about this issue, I though I’d update my findings. Firstly:

The problem arises only with UK versions of the TP-Link HS100 and HS110 devices on Hardware Version 4.1 and firmware 1.04.
The problem firmware upgrade was version 1.1.0 which removed local access to the device.
TP-Link released a beta firmware version 1.1.1 to get around the problem. You had to request this firmware directly from their support forum.

I did this for the HS110 device I had, and it it solved the problem. I also had two more HS110s that I wasn’t using at the time.
About two months ago, as an experiment, I set them up with the Kasa app and connected them to Home Assistant. I then waited to see if they were upgraded automatically or if I was offered an upgrade for them.

Nothing happened!

So, one week ago I contacted TP-Link again to request the beta firmware for these devices. This is their reply:

TP-Link: Hi, the beta firmware 1.1.1 has stopped releasing already so there is no need to collect the MAC address. And your current firmware 1.0.4 would not have any issue working with Home Assistant. The previous firmware 1.1.0 which closed the insecure local API had stopped releasing half a year ago and no more plugs would be updated to this firmware; Thank you very much.

This bears out my experience. Basically, they are no longer pushing the problem firmware 1.1.0 to devices so no action is needed. My two devices that are on 1.04 will never be upgraded. So, you no longer need to worry about loosing access to these devices or having to implement strategies to block the update.

3 Likes

Thank you for updating us, and for the concise summary!

One quibble:

Never is a strong word. It could be that TP-Link is busy developing a 1.2.0 version. On the other hand, it may be they abandoned this line and are focusing on whatever hardware is taking its place. In which case you would be correct.

Fair point, especiallly when it comes to anything to do with I.T. or IoT :grinning: However, I suspect from what TP-Link said in their reply that they have abandoned any further development of these devices as far as firmware goes.
Their UK Smart Devices web site shows a new range of Tapo plugs and Amazon UK no longer stocks the HS100 series.

1 Like