TRV Calibrator - Calibrate your valve with an external sensor (probably TRV agnostic)

The thermostat inside your TRV is probably telling your the wrong temperature and the reason for that is the proximity to the radiator. One way to workaround that is to use an external temperature sensor as reference and actively update the calibration.

After adjust it for several days I finally came up with a blueprint that seems to work fantastically to my valve and I’d like to share it with you.

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

This blueprint was tested with a TV02-Zigbee but it should work with other valves. If you feel adventurous and would like to help me testing it with other TRV let me know.

7 Likes

can I use one temperature to more than one TRV? my living room and kitchen is one big room and I have 3 radiators, so I have 3 TRV in that room. Do I need one temp-senor to each TRV or can I use 1 temp-sensor to all 3 TRV?

You can pair multiple TRV to the same temperature sensor. I actually have the same situation and I pair my kitchen and living room TRV with a temperature sensor in the center of both “rooms”.

How can I see the code for this blueprint without import?

Absolutely. Here: home-assistant-blueprints/trv_calibrator.yaml at main · rotilho/home-assistant-blueprints · GitHub

Hi, I’m using a Siterwell GS361A-H04 and don’t see an entity for the TRV calibration state. Anything I can do about this? Thank you!

@apricotpie I don’t see any calibration fields. I’m afraid your TRV doesn’t support it.

I believe you can use the integration Better Thermostat though

Ok, thank you!

HI,
Please help me, I’m a little bit stuck.
I have 5 radiators for 3 zones (3 radiators will be in one zone) .
I imported the blueprint, and when I want to create the automatization, I found a string that is called “TRV Calibration State”, when I click on the drop down list, notthing is found. What should I create to have this TRV Calibration State?

Thanks

Also I have this error :

" Message malformed: Missing input trv_calibration_number "

Unfortunately if you don’t see in the list your TRV probably don’t support it.

I’ll update the description tomorrow to be more clear about it.

Alternatively, take a look on better thermostat. I think they creat a wrapper climate entity using a external sensor to compensate it. It should work fine with TRV’s that don’t allow calibration.

The thermostats that I have is branded by Hama, but in fact they are TS0601 - like the one Moes use or other Tuya thermostats.
I will try to integrate them with Zigbe2mqtt, till now I used ZHA, I saw on different users that if you use Zigbe2mqtt, you have access to more settings.

Hi! I also have a TV02-Zigbee and syncing works but its kind of weird. My temperature sensor changed from 20.6 to 20.8 °C in my office room. The auromation runs and everything seems to work fine but it sets my TRV temperature to 20.4 instead of 20.8.
I just can‘t figure out where the 0.4 difference comes from.
Any ideas?

The TV02 update the temperature every X minutes or whatever there’s a change in the setpoint or calibration. The problem is that the TV02 may have a different internal temperature but since it didn’t report it the blueprint try to calibrate it with the wrong temperature.

The blueprint should see the new mismatch and trig another calibration.

After a full day of tuning, the calibration is almost correct, but it happens that various peaks are created and the heads keep turning on and off. I’m worried about battery life.

That’s not good. It’s probably caused by a mismatch between calibration and the actual temperature update.

This may be the same problem facek1ck has. I’m going to investigate more but it’s likely that the only solution is to delay the update even more so the calibration is just executed when all updates are received.

I released a new update that should solve the Scorpio256 case.

EDIT: The issue wasn’t caused by the TRV temperature drifting but by a race condition between the multiple state update.

Moving all calculations to the very end of the blueprint allows all calculations to use the latest states, fixing the issue.

1 Like

Well, my half-smart thermostat finally became smart. Thank you for sharing your work!

1 Like

@rotilho That is pretty awesome, thanks a lot :raised_hands:

@rotilho Just out of curiosity, what’s the difference (in outcome) between your blueprint and Better Thermostat?

I am using BT but have had issues with random valve positions (opens up to 20% when room temp is two Celsius above target temp) - could your blueprint be the solution to fixing this?