TryFi - Dog GPS Collar Integration

Just want to say, thanks so much for such a great and smoothly implemented integration! It works as it should!

I am looking to do something similar with T-mobile’s Familywhere application… any advise on how to go about doing this? i am not at all an expert at coding but i feel like, with your permission and guidance i may be able to build off of what you did.

It’s a lot of coding and re-engineering if the platform doesn’t publish how to use its APIs. A coding background is necessary with any integration development for HA.

Just out of curiosity, how did you figure out the graphql structures that you’re using? I wanted to take a crack at the sleep metrics, but had no idea where to start.

Hi @chriskj3 ,

What I did was I decompile the Android app and took a look at the calls and structure. Then i re-engineered the calls. When I did this integration originally there was no sleep tracking (I have a s1 series collar). You can give that a try and if there are other enhancements please let me know.

Got a little issue, I installed HACS (restarted HA) when I go to integration and search for “TryFi” I get the following error:

“No repositories :confused:
No downloaded repositories matching “TryFi” found in this section.
Try searching for something else!”

Any help is welcome!

Hi mate,

Did you manage to find a tracker without subscription fee?

Trying to find something to install in the car

does anyone knows is the Fi broadcasts BLE so i can use ESPresence to locate the dog in a room in the house?

1 Like

I see in the sensor.py that distance is set in Km. what all needs to be changed too make it Mi like the app?

1 Like

I added this a few days ago. Took my dog to groomer today and noticed it was never updating any of the info from the collar. I removed the integration and readded it. Except now it’s even worse as the entities were never created. Shows 1 device two entities but neither work neither is the actual collar location. Logs riddled with errors. Any ideas?

Hi @fgonza2

I believe it does broadcast a BLE signal but I haven’t worked with it at all.

Hi @eternistarr ,

I believe the issue has been found. Please give v0.0.11 a try.

After update I get this error in the log. Any ideas? Thanks!

Could not set place, defaulting to Unknown

9:12:55 PM – (WARNING) /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pytryfi/fiPet.py - message first occurred at 9:08:10 PM and shows up 31 times

This is okay @Dracoy . It’s just a warning. This is for known places to be stored as a friendly name. This won’t effect the integration from working with HA.

Love this project. i was already to try and build this.

is it possible to have the api report the safe zone back to HA? would be great to have more feedback than just home and away.

1 Like

Really looking forward to when color gets added to collar light control! I currently have it come on when it is time to feed the dog but would like different colors to signify his different needs.

Considering getting a TryFi since my traccar gps collar will soon no have any 2G networks to use… Is purchasing GPS required for home/away status? or can it use the collar’s ‘wifi mode’ (connects with the base station to establish home presence)

I have tried to set this integration up in an additional home and am getting the following error:

Logger: pytryfi.fiPet
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/pytryfi/fiPet.py:38

Cannot find photo of your pet. Defaulting to empty string.

Unfortunately this seems to stop everything from working, as only the Base shows up in HA. I have also tried using the Python library manually and get the same error. Any ideas?

@SuperMega - can you enable debug logging and share the logs that have the word “tryfi” in it?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to some community help, sleep and nap statistics are now available. Please update your version to 0.0.13. In version 0.0.13 you should see daily, weekly and monthly nap stats for your pet ASSUMING you have v2 of the collar.

Release notes can be found here.

@sgobat - i would have to check the logic, but currently the api looks at the last known location and doesn’t check when that location was last updated. That would require some additional logic to determine if the dog “may” be lost if the GPS coordinates aren’t current. Generally speaking the collar will work if its connected to the base, wifi (v2 of the collar) or someone’s phone.