Trying to integrate new Ultraloq UL1 door lock

I have just installed an Ultraloq UL1 door lock which communicates via Bluetooth or via an optional Wi-fi/Bluetooth bridge.

I believe the Wi-fi bridge is built on an Espressif espXXXX chip and communicates with the vendors cloud with encrypted MQTT.

I am thinking Home-Assistant MQTT could be configured to connect to the vendors cloud with my credentials (from the phone app), and subscribe to my lock?

I can’t find any technical info on this from the vendor, probably due to being a very young product.

1 Like

Did you have any luck with this?

I just installed my unit, would love to see it integrated with HASS

I do not see any deveolpers portal or documentation on the u-tec site unfortunately, apparently there will be IFTTT and Alexa support in the future, so hopefully this changes.

Also, how is your fingerprint recognition? Mine is terrible, not sure if it is a faulty unit, the unit is a bit unresponsive as well to wake up.

No luck with this. I am thinking about contacting u-tec support to ask for mqtt details.
It would be pretty easy if we had these details.

Yes, my lock has poor recognition for me, but works every time for my teenage sons! I have a UL3 lock too and the support for that stated doesn’t work well for older people.
Try re-scanning your prints (standing exactly where you would when attempting to open door). It seems sensitive to any rotation in the thumbs position. You need to press gently with your thumb too.

Have you tried connecting it to hass via their IFTTT integration? You could do it via webhooks, but this is not the most secure way to control the device. It would be great if we could interface with it directly using an MQTT API. Asking because my ul1 is on its way and I am likely going to need to do this soon too.

One way I have hacked around this in the past is by installing their app on an old android phone and using Tasker to listen for commands and hit buttons on the u-tec app (or observe state and return it to hass via the REST api). Not the most elegant solution, but it works!

I just had a look at IFTTT and there are some Ultraloq items, but they appear to be only placeholders at the moment.

Very clever with the Tasker solution. I may have to implement one of these.

Thanks!

I have my UL1 installed now. First day, my roommate stood outside in the cold rain for about 15 minutes trying to get it to recognize his fingerprint. Now that I gave out fobs and phone activation, it has worked just fine with prints on the first try.

Has anyone found a way to get it to switch to “Passage” mode any time someone comes home? I generally don’t keep the door locked when everyone is here.

Anyone have luck with MQTT? Or with IFTTT?

IFTTT works but only has the option to unlock the door. Pretty pointless for automations, unless someone is waiting, ready to open the door when it unlocks for the 4 seconds. I am keen for passage mode too! You’d think it would be a neglible effort to have included that too :frowning:

Did you know lifting the door handle instead of pushing it down cancels passage mode?
Also, I have found our phones that have NFC work well as fobs.

Ooh, NFC in phones as a fob sounds great, I’ll have to try that!

Lifting the handle to cancel passage mode I did find… when I locked myself out during setup!
Will be especially useful… if i can have it auto switch to passage mode when i unlock…

I asked about a dozen different places (including the fb page, the support forum, the indiegogo page, etc) for the ability to keep the door unlocked without the admin going into settings… i.e. to add passive mode switch to IFTTT.
Got almost universally nope, sorry, will be in the future type responses, but from one guy who says “We will check and get back to you early next week. :)”

I’m not holding my breath…

Got the phone NFC chip to unlock, though, so that’s better than carrying a fob when i’m wearing gloves.

did you just register your phone’s nfc as a keyfob? Did you have to do anything special? I’ve tried on my Samsung S7 and it doesn’t seem to work just get a message that registration failed.

My Nexus 5X registered fine. I got a new phone and that phone still unlocked the door… Which I found odd.

My girlfriend’s S7 edge would not register, just got errors.

I expect it would depend on the type of NFC chip your phone has.

I just bought the Ultraloq Bridge.

Has anyone considered connecting this to Home Assistant?

1 Like

Yes, sorry, that’s what I meant when I started this

Didn’t work on my Samsung S7, Work on my new Samsung Note 9

Anyone test the NFC registration with a watch? I feel like buying a cheap smartwatch with a compatible NFC chip.

Not a watch, but was able to register my nfc ring from my bank! (serious)

just in case anyone is interested I went and bought a wearos smartwatch and can confirm it works as a fob for the ul1. Wasn’t as cheap as I had hoped but nfc on smartwatches is still a premium feature apparently.

I got an ok deal on the Michael kors mkgo, but I think it would probably work with any of the fossil brand wearos smartwatches with nfc

can you describe more detailed how you’d do it with tasker?