Tube's ZB Coordinators and Routers (was Zigbee router on steroids?)

I’ve always considered z2m for those very reasons but I assumed zha would be better supported since its the “official” integration…and…it was the devil I knew. May need to reconsider if I ever need to rebuild my network.

Yeah :crossed_fingers:…I’m itching to update to this new release but don’t need the headache. Zigbee is the backbone of my home automations.

There is work being done to decouple zha from ha. It’s in its infancy but will come at some point.

4 Likes

FYI, they missed to mention it in the many PR for ZHA that went into the Home Assistant 2022.4.0 release but there actually a few relatively huge updates/changes to both ZHA and its dependencies (zigpy and zha-quirks/ zha-device-handlers Zigbee libraries used by ZHA) for Home Assistant 2022.4.0 release that was not supposed to break anything but it did.

Among other things behind the scene, zigpy got a very large update to the very latest official Zigbee Cluster Library specification (to make it fully compatible with the Zigbee Cluster Library Specification Revision 7 and Revision 8 by the Zigbee Alliance), which should greatly improve device interoperability in the long run, meaning that fewer devices will need quirks in the future. But that was a very large change so there is no real surprise that things broke in the Home Assistant 2022.4.0 release. Once all those things that broke are found and fixed it should make ZHA more stable than ever and work out-of-the-box with more new Zigbee devices without the need for as many custom quirks.

The best thing if not wanting to actively help developers troubleshoot what broke is to restore a backup.

Tip is not upgrade to the first revisions of any new releases if you want to avoid breakage for stability.

If you are not looking to actively help developers troubleshoot then wait until a xxxx.x.6 release or so.

FYI, ZHA/zigpy and Zigbee2MQTT are collaborating on a backup format that will allow easier migration back and forth between those two implementation without having to manually re-pair all of your devices:

Of course, Zigbee2MQTT is an older project than ZHA + the Zigbee2MQTT community is still larger and has more developers so at least it will be faster to getting support for the newest wierd devices where the manufacturer has not bothered to try to follow the official Zigbee Cluster specification documents.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#zha-exception-and-deviation-handling

However, for any new devices where the manufacturers actually exactly follow the official Zigbee Cluster specification documents then it should in theory work better out of the box in ZHA than in Zigbee2MQTT.

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/zha#knowing-which-devices-are-supported

PS: Hopefully the Home Assistant founders will in the future consider having Nabu Casa employing one or more ZHA and zigpy developers to work full time on Zigbee support in Home Assistant, which is something that would probably need necessary sooner or later if they want to get a Zigbee certification.

https://www.nabucasa.com/about/

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation!

I have a Tube Zigbee Coordinator (CC2652p2 POE) and I flashed it with Tasmota firmware (custom version) so I cannot use the ESPHome interface. It runs successfully with Zigbee2MQTT.
Is it possible to toggle manually the BSL switch to put the device in bootload mode and update the Zigbee Module Firmware?

If you have the round PoE model the BSL is on gpio32 and the zigbee module’s reset is on gpio33.

Switch on bsl > reset momentarily > allow it to wait a few seconds and it should be in boot loader mode.

The esphome yaml should be a guide to pins and the script for entering boot loader mode too

1 Like

Many thanks, it runs perfectly.

1 Like

I’ve only just got round to plugging this in even though I ordered it in December :flushed:
is it still necessary to roll back the ESPHome build?

Indeed it is still necessary.

Thanks, that was easy, and HA has found it, now i need to decide between ZHA and Z2MQTT or will it need a FW update first?

Given you bought in December there is a new coordinator fw out since then, so it would be a tad easier doing that before a network formation/adding devices as no need to worry about a backup.

Excellent I’ll investigate that tomorrow
cheers

Hi

I’m trying to upgrade my firmware on a CC2652p2 POE Coordinator.
I follow the steps described, hitting the Prep Button and run the CC2538-bsl script.
After some seconds I get an error saying: ERROR: Timeout for ACK/NACK after ‘Synch (0x55 0x55)’
Could anybody help me and give me a hint?

Thanks

It can take a few tries. also make sure nothing else is accessing the network port on the coordinator.

You can also try running the script closer to when you toggle the prep button.

Great, thanks. I will try

How long should the upgrade take?

over network around 5 mins

I worked! Thanks. Do I need to setup the HA Configuration new after upgrading the firmware? My devices show up in the configuration but don’t seem to work…?

If you didn’t run a back up before hand you will need to rejoin your devices, at start up ZHA will re-create a network with new settings if it’s a blank stick.