Tube's ZB Coordinators and Routers (was Zigbee router on steroids?)

@tube0013
What (if any) power supply is provided with your Coordinator? I live in the UK so a US or EU power supply would not be suitable. On a related topic does it support PoE or have you considered adding this?

I donā€™t supply a power supply. but the router and the coordinators are supplied power via a 5v micro USB connection. so any 5v USB charger/power supply will work.

Iā€™ve looked at the available POE boards. and the cost would increase greatly, and I was also concerned about the availability of pins for the UART connect to the zigbee module when I was looking into them.

@tube0013
Thanks, great I have plenty of USB chargers.

I agree if PoE is going to bump the cost up it is not worth doing. It would be possible to use a PoE extractor to convert it to USB but that would be an extra cost, I have done this in business environments though where the cost could be justified.

For the benefit of everyone else, the beauty of Zigbee is that it is a global wireless standard unlike Z-Wave so the same product will work in the US, UK and anywhere.

3 Likes

LONELY ! :musical_note:
Iā€™m so LONELY ! :musical_note:

The Tubester is a shy one at the moment, but I know heā€™ll make some friends real soon.

1 Like

yea, the map will update every 2-4 hours I think but default. youā€™ll likely see routers connect to it before any endpoints - they donā€™t really move to a new parent if they donā€™t have a reason too.

I have mine installed too! Decided to take my whole Zigbee network offline for an hour. Now by new device is supporting 20 devices. :grin:

3 Likes

I want to do the same but I canā€™t for wrath of the wife. Maybe later tonight.

3 Likes

I got mine yesterday and got it added. This weekend I need to take my mesh down, remove a lot of my repeaters and re-pair a lot of my sensors to it. WOOT!!!

1 Like

So, the waiting list feature on your store is still working, right?
Crapā€¦ I thought there was a waiting list. :frowning:

I think I want to replace my Conbee2 with one of your coordinators. :smiley:

If you strategically place the device, take your mesh down for an hour, and then bring it back up all your devices will automagically recreate the appropriate mesh and you will not have to create the binding or mesh creation through ZHA.

True, but I need to remove my routers first (I have about 15 routing devices in my mesh).

Plus, one of the things I love (silly as it may be) is z2mā€™s ability to pair directly to a device rather than ZHAā€™s method of ā€œHit pair and wait to see which router picks it upā€. I donā€™t know why (and I know that ZHA will do that under the hood anyhow), but itā€™s just fun to sit there and hit ā€œPermit Join ([device name])ā€ and watch z2m pair directly with that device. LOL (I know, Iā€™m weird!)

2 Likes

Noā€¦you sir are eclectic! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooooohhh, good choice of words! I LIKE! (And way too true lol)

you can actually do this in ZHA as well, you just go to the deviceā€™s page:

2 Likes

HUH! I never saw that when I was using ZHA. Granted, I absolutely LOVE z2m, so ZHA is a distant memory for me.

I should really try ZHA someday, but Iā€™m so happy with Z2M that I donā€™t see how ZHA could be better on any pointā€¦

1 Like

FWIW, I tried ZHA/HUSBZB-1 ages ago and was disappointed, I then switched to zigbee2mqtt/CC2531 and was much happier, until my device count went over 20 or so devices and then I had trouble pairing new devices. I then decided to give ZHA/HUSBZB-1 another shot and I am more than pleased with it.

4 Likes

So it seems the process to move 120 devices from ZHA to Z2M would be daunting task. Is this true?

Yeah, but to be honest, totally worth it, imho. I did it with ~80 devices and actually found some devices (like a couple of motion sensors down in my crawlspace and 4 lights in my backyard that rarely get used) that had dropped off and I never even knew it. The battery reporting still seems a bit wonky to me sometimes, but I can live with that.

1 Like

I have just released a small number of EFR32 based coordinators, they utilizes a Silicon Labs module with 256k ram which is the highest compared to most zigbee chipsets available (cc2652 only has 80/88 for comparison). Also these boards come with on-board USB-Serial so you can select to run this over ethernet or via USB!

this will support up to 64 children and work with ZHA out of the box - will require some settings defined in configuration.yaml to over ride the bellows defaults.

4 Likes