Turn dumb ADT alarm into a Smart one

The keypads could continue to work, the protocol has been reverse engineered, and even implemented in Arduino, you can see more details here: http://www.avrfreaks.net/forum/dsc-keybus-protocol?page=all

If one really wanted to continue using existing panels/keypads they could always look at the alarmdecoder component instead. Assuming supported system of course…

-pd

Haven’t heard anything yet on the status of konnected io integration with HA.

I’ve been implementing it and have it working in my house for ~a month (currently sensors only, but supporting actuators should be trivial). Currently the main hangup is that the device needs to be given a fixed IP address (easy to do with most routers) since discovery is only supported for integrations that are merged into upstream Home Assistant. If @balloob is amenable to it, I have an idea for supporting discovery in custom components that could avoid make discovery possible even before the integration is ready to be merged upstream. If you’re interested in alpha or beta testing the integration, get in touch with @heythisisnate.

1 Like

@heythisisnate I’m currently using your alpha project on Github, but running into some errors on Home Assistant and my konnected.io device is rebooting over and over. Would you be willing to help me out?

I have some great ideas for this project. Willing to do lots of testing and help grow the project!

Hi all, sorry for the long delay here. I’ve finally gotten the Home Assistant integration into a place where I feel its ready for a “public beta”. For more details, see here:

Next steps are cleaning up, adding tests and documentation to prepare to submit a PR to be merged into a future Home Assistant release. I could use some help with this. Let me know if you’re interested.

1 Like

Hey Nate, Love the videos which have explained almost everything I need to know. I have 3 questions left and was hoping you can answer and then I am ready to go:

1. When unarming the system, can this be done from anywhere with Smartthings as long as the system is online?
  2. The recent video says I can order a 12 zone system which will have the add on board. I only see this as pre order on your web site. Is that what I need to do.
  3. I am getting this right, I need the main panel to do the siren and the add on board with the piezo to get the chirp. I have currently 5 zones but 10 sensors, so the two boards would be right if I unlink the sensors.

Let me know if I got this right and I will place the order. I assume this kit does not have the piezo or backup battery. If you could share exactly what teh 12 zone kit has it would help a lot.

Mark

Hi @Mark_Fundakowski, happy to answer your questions.

1. Yes, SmartThings is cloud based, so all the arming/disarming happens through their cloud platform. Using the SmartThings mobile app you can arm/disarm the system from anywhere you have a network connection.
    Since this is a Home Assistant forum, I should mention that this isn’t exactly the same with Home Assistant since HASS runs locally on your network – it’s up to you to configure remote or cloud access and how to arm/disarm the system.

2. Yes, pre-order is the only way to order right now. We’ve started shipping, but have a big backlog of pre-orders to fulfill. If you pre-order today, I expect to be able to ship in mid-May. We’re keeping this page updated with timelines as we get info from manufacturing: https://help.konnected.io/support/solutions/articles/32000022545-when-will-my-order-ship-

3. Yes the main panel has a siren output, and the add-on panel has a dedicated pins for the piezo. You can also drive the piezo from one of the zone terminals, but then you’re using up a zone.

The kit comes with the Konnected panel(s), WiFi module(s) for each panel, a power adapter, piezo buzzer, power cable splitter (Y-adapter), an acrylic mounting board, mounting tape, and Konnected stickers. The backup battery is sold separately.

Thanks Nate seems like I need the 12 zone and the battery backup. Thanks.

Your response triggered a couple added questions:

1. The WiFi modules: I haven’t seen a video talking about connecting them to the WiFi other that turn on. How is this done with a secured WiFi. I assume since these are not your designed WiFi boards (Right?) there are directions for either MAC addressing or connecting to the secured network.

2. Using either SmartThings or HASS, can there be multiple logins to the account or do I need to create the same settings for multiple accounts accessing the home to get the functionality on multiple smart phones.

3)How much band width do the WiFi modules take up? I am assuming they are communicating state changes and some routine communication to the network for checking signal. Is there a link to share about the WiFi boards and the specifics of them.

Thanks. Looks like I have a great Memorial Day Weekend Project in store. Thanks for solving this problem for us.

Mark

1. The process to connect to WiFi is described here:
    https://help.konnected.io/support/solutions/articles/32000022408-connect-the-konnected-device-to-wifi

2. Yes, SmartThings supports multiple user accounts. Home Assistant as far as I know does not have any built-in user management features. It’s up to you to control access on your network.

3. They use very little bandwidth. Your assumption is pretty much spot on.

I would LOVE to try this. Let me know if there are any test boxes available. Thanks.

Just a quick update on this. I’ve opened a Pull Request into Home Assistant to get Konnected support officially merged into a future HASS release. All input is greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

I’m excited for it to be included officially. I’m using it as a custom_component and very happy with the results.

What a great product. The wiring seems fairly simple and straight forward. However, I have a Signaling device board linked to my main ADT board and I’m not quite sure what it does.
Is this something that would be supported by your product?

I’m happy to announce that the Konnected component was merged, and will be included in the next Home Assistant release, 0.70! Official announcement thread here:

Fantastic idea!

I have a few questions:

• Does each add-on board require its own dedicated 12v power?
  • Are the NodeMCU’s included?

Thanks.

Hi, @heythisisnate I know it’s a quite late reply, but I just saw this post. Are you still giving away boards? Or pre-order the $75 kit on your site would be the first way to access it? I’m super excited about this and can’t wait to test my ADT with this (although I have their contract at the moment…)

The signaling device is for any wireless sensors you have in your home. I’m not sure the protocol but it’s probably serial interface, similar to the keypad.

Nice product!

You planning to support wired keypads?
Think this is an important feature to have, it would make it a complete replacement solution for existing alarm panels.

Just wondering how the wifi performs inside a metal enclosure?

Feature request - 3g/4g backup connection incase power is cut to the residence.