Tuya ZigBee Smart Plug with Energy monitoring

Hi guys,

I bought a few 20A Tuya ZigBee plugs that apparently have energy monitoring functionality.

I have one of them paired to HA using Deconz and a ConBee II USB stick.

It’s paired and working but no energy monitoring entities are being picked up…

Does anyone have these setup in HA and if so have you energy monitoring working?

Perhaps you need the official hub for this to work?

Cheers,
Mac

Find if it’s here Database of Zigbee devices compatible with ZHA, Tasmota, Zigbee2MQTT, deCONZ, ZiGate and ioBroker (blakadder.com) and see what it is supported with deCONZ?

edit: the device can be supported, maybe power metering or voltage isnt? What shows up in attributes of the device in Development Tools?

1 Like

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply :+1:t2:

It doesn’t look to be listed as compatible… It does however find the switch entity so it’s somewhat compatible, just the sensor entities are not showing.

This is the device:

All that shows in the device is the switch entity, I assume other devices connected via Deconz do show any sensor entities?

Cheers,
Mac

Hi there,

It might actually be the same family as this, only UK plug and 20A instead of 16A:

So, if it is then apparently it should allow the sensor data to display?

Cheers,
Mac

I reached out to the shop on Ali Express to see if the plug should show the sensor data in Home Assistant and he replied asking what Home Assistant was, did I mean to say Google Assistant :rofl:

I think going down this Home Assistant route might have been a mistake… Only problem is I’ve invested so much time and a fair bit of money that I don’t want to abandon it just yet, I’m not far away though :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Why Deconz? In Zigbee2Mqtt it looks like this.

2 Likes

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply :+1:t2:

Is it the same plug as I listed? I’m very new to this so from watching videos and reading online I thought I needed to use Deconz with the ConBee II USB stick.

I’ve never used ZigBeeToMqTT so not sure how to add the ZigBee devices to home assistant with it.

Can it add devices directly without needing Deconz?

Cheers,
Mac

Same plug.
There are noumers way of getting Zigbee devices into HA. One beeing Deconz as you have installed. The most obvious method is to use ZHA, the build in SW in HA. I have been using ZHA, however moved to Z2M at some point. There are numerous threads on this. My suggestion would be to go away from Deconz and chose ither ZHA or Z2M, as most users are on one of these.

Z2M being somewhat more advanced to install than ZHA, however super easy when running. ZHA being build in. Look for threads with comments and decide which one.

Remember that you should NOT install the deconz add-on and NOT install the decons integration for either ZHA or Z2M. You need to remove it and setup ZHA/Z2M. Unfortnutatly you will have to re-pair your devices.

1 Like

I might start with ZHA so and see how I get on with that first…

Hi guys,

I’m trying to set up ZHA in my HA instance.

I removed Deconz, then added ZHA. I don’t think it’s setting it up correctly.

I have to specify the serial device path first, it defaults to /dev/ttyACM0 where it shows my ConBee stick.

I then hit Submit and I get the spinning circle for roughly 60 seconds.

It then asks me for the radio type, giving 5 options. I select the last option, deCONZ and it lists compatible gateways, ConBee II is listed. I hit Submit here also.

It then pops up with a window asking for the Serial Device Path and it has pre-populated it with a long string of text.

I have to hit Submit many times on this screen, it keeps throwing the error “Failed to connect”. Eventually after hitting Submit lots of times it completes.

I then select an area and select Finish.

However, if I attempt to add any devices to it I just get a timeout saying it couldn’t find my device.

Maybe I haven’t removed Deconz correctly?

I hope I didn’t have to start again :man_facepalming:t2:

Cheers,
Mac

Looks like it didn’t remove DeConz correctly, this error is in the logs:

Logger: zigpy_deconz.api
Source: /usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/zigpy_deconz/api.py:258
First occurred: 17:13:20 (19 occurrences)
Last logged: 17:22:12

Serial '/dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2447416-if00' connection lost unexpectedly: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)

I managed to get it sorted, somehow…

I plugged out the ConBee sick and then rebooted the Raspberry Pi. I then plugged it back in and then rebooted it again. This time it is finding and adding devices fine, and very quickly.

The Entity names are a bit unusual however:

sensor.tz3000_kx0pris5_ts011f_d10d3441_electrical_measurement

So, getting Philips Hue lightbulbs repaired after switching to ZHA proved to be a total pain…

It just wouldn’t go into pairing mode… I searched this forum but could only find advice about using a dimmer switch that I didn’t own or using some software to interrogate the message or something, way to complicated for me :man_facepalming:t2:

Anyway, I stumbled across this:

So, once it was added to Alexa I then removed it which also reset it and then it became discoverable in ZHA.

Big thanks to the author of the video :sunglasses:

How did the switch go in the end? Better than Deconz? I am in the same situation as you where I bought a tuya zigbee plug for the power monitoring, only to find it wasn’t showing.

1 Like

Well, it allowed me to get the power monitoring to work with the Tuya devices so it’s a positive on the front…

In general I’m not 100% it’s much better… My Sonoff ZigBee Mini L keeps losing connection, for no reason. I’ve to regularly knock out the power to the room and back again and then reconfigure it, not ideal…

I’m not sure if the issue is the device or ZHA so it’s not ideal…

Hi!

I bought a similar smart plug (20A too, but with EU plug). This one: Prise Intelligente Tuya Eu Zigbee, 20a, Fonction Moniteur De Synchronisation, Compatible Avec Alexa Google Home Smartlife App - AliExpress

I am using zigbee2mqtt for all my zigbee devices and it works very well. However, for this plug, it is recognized and paired, but then it just says “Not supported”.
Here is what I get:

I looked at the documentation on how to add Tuya devices (Support new Tuya devices | Zigbee2MQTT) but, even with this external converter, my device stays as “not supported”.
Any idea how I could integrate it?
Thanks !

Hey, I was facing the same issue today and found a solution(added the manufacturer to the list of devices in converters git) and created a pull request. Hope it wil be approved in a few days and you will be able to use as expected. (for a quicker solution you can create custom converter with this guide and copy this code as converter)

1 Like

I added your converter file and it is now “supported”. Thanks a lot !

Hi there,
I bought this device Zigbee 20A socket and cannot find it via Zigbee2MQTT integration. With same producer but 16A device it discovered the device smoothly. Does anybody have same issue?

It happened that at the same time I paired first socket, my terminal lost LAN connection :wink: All managed and works fine.

How quickly the Tuya plug returns data about the consumption? I have two different plugs from VocoLinc, PM5 and VP3, the latter tend to refresh the energy consumption once in one or two minutes, which is useless for example when you turn on electric kettle.