Two instances of HASSIO and FRITZ!Box Wifi Saturation

Hi, I tried to install 2 instances of HASSIO on the same fisical network, with two CABLE on two different PCs as a virtual machine (no wifi used on the Pcs)

HA1 = 192.168.2.1
HA2 = 192.168.3.1

They work without problem at the same time, and I can access and config them over the network.

The only one (BIG) problem is that, when both the instances are running, the wifi of my two fritzbox 7530 become saturated and I cannot use the wifi to connect with any device. It seems like a strange loop over the wifi, but HA1 and HA2 are not connected by wifi. The 2 PCs don’t have any wifi adapter

I tried:

• Install 2 clean instances (without config)
  • Change IP address, using the same series: 192.168.0.100 and 192.168.0.101
  • Change wifi channel o the Fritz

But nothing! Everytime I run them at the same time, I have that issue. When I power off one of them, everything works again. (see image)

Any suggest?

Are they both sending that much statistical data to Internet servers or is the traffic between instances?

You need to analyze the network traffic to determine sources & destinations of the traffic,

They are indipendent instances. So, they are connected to the internet using the same router. Can you suggest some application to analyze the trafic? Any idea to fix the problem?

There are many options. I guess I would use WireShark on a PC connected to the same network.

There are many options but I think network troubleshooting can be complex and possibly beyond the scope of this user forum. I can troubleshoot networks and have done that for years but I use my prior experience to interpret results & look deeper I am not sure how to teach that to somebody quickly.

I tried Wireshark. When I run 2 instances I see tons of this:

142477	78.610744	192.168.2.1	224.0.0.251	MDNS	120	Standard query response 0x0000 A, cache flush 192.168.0.15 A, cache flush 192.168.3.5 NSEC, cache flush WinAudio.local
142479	78.611229	192.168.2.1	224.0.0.251	MDNS	120	Standard query response 0x0000 A, cache flush 192.168.0.15 A, cache flush 192.168.3.5 NSEC, cache flush WinAudio.local
142481	78.612944	192.168.2.1	224.0.0.251	MDNS	120	Standard query response 0x0000 A, cache flush 192.168.0.15 A, cache flush 192.168.3.5 NSEC, cache flush WinAudio.local

Both for HASS1 (192.168.2.1) and HASS2 (192.168.3.1)
When I stop one instance, this kind of flux stops.
Can help?

That address (224.0.0.251) is mDNS ( multicast DNS)

I think HaOS uses that so you can access the system as homeassistant.local That couds mean both systems are trying to register the same Multicast name are are constantly changing it. This is only a guess though.

That would be easily solved by giving each HA instance it’s own name.

No it would not. Is is mapped by nDNS to the same name. I am not aware of how that could be changed. They both use the same mDNS name regardless of the name you give them.

I run 4 HA instances, each has it’s own host name. I don’t see that kind of behaviour on my network.

If multicast / mDNS is disabled on your network that traffic would not be there. Many people use mDNS for Apple Bonjour, for instance. ( AirPlay / AirPrint)

Where do you set instance name? I tried from SUPERVISOR -》SETTINGS -》HOST NAME

No luck.

But do you use a VM?

I think it is a supervisor or Hassos issue, because if I install a simple Core instance on a docker, I do not have this problem

But, is there a way to disable mDNS from HAos or from the network?

See here:

In this post the problem was fixed using different host name for each instance. But I tried, it doesn’t work for me.

No, it was solved by changing the name of the HA instance.

Blockquote

After further investigation it seems that hostnames are not really the issue here, but the fact that I am using the same instance names Home. Once I renamed all of them to different names, the flooding seems gone now for more than a hour.

I changed also the installation name of one clean instance (usually is “Home”) into “Home2”. Reboot the machines. Nothing to do :neutral_face:

The github issue above is closed. Maybe open a new one ?

Ok, I will try later

Can I use a phisical router to block the traffic? Which kind?

A physical network router could be used along with having 2 different network sublets Home “routers” are a functionally combination of network switch, router, firewall, and wireless access point. Marketing renamed them as a home router.

Network routers were more prevalent before VLANs with Layer 3 switching replaced most use cases.