UK "smart" energy meters

You won’t be able to use the MAC there are several reasons for this but the main reason, in this case, is that it is a string length of 12 hexadecimal digits.

For it to work with the Bright app it NEEDS to be the GUID. At this stage, we can only hope for someone who has the Cameleon IHD2 to come forward and assist.

It would be good if you confirmed someone of the stuff I’ve been asking you mind.

sorry about that - concentrating on find the mac address - software version on the smart meter is v 1.18.0. The bright app has allowed me to create an account using the mac address - on the settings in the app the MPAN has already been populated - I couldn’t find that anywhere on the device.

Okay, you found the GUID then.

It sounds like the firmware on your Smart Meter (not your IHD) needs updating to allow the ‘DCC_Other’ account used by Hilldebrand to poll the information for your Gas meter. It sounds like currently, it will only read your electricity supply.

You will need to raise a technical support ticket with your supplier to have the firmware updated to a version that supports this account.

For anyone who cares.

• MPAN - Stands for Meter Point Administration Number and refers to your electricity. It’s also sometimes known as a ‘supply number’ or ’S number’.

• MPRN - stands for Meter Point Reference Number and refers to your gas. It’s also sometimes known as an ‘M number’.

1 Like

thanks for your help. We never had a smart meter for the gas supply (different supplier) - so that probably explains it.

No worries, glad it’s working as you’d expect. Enjoy!

It looks like my Hildebrand Glow (DCC) integration has stopped retrieving info. The Bright app is also having trouble letting me see my data.

Anyone else having an issue with theirs? Looks like it started sometime on the 1st February for me.

I’ve currently got a WAN issue but have a similar issue with regards to the bight app. After about 45 seconds it will load the summaries but I’ve raised it with their support team and if I get any feedback I will let you know.

Nice to know it’s not just me breaking things!

@nwootton I’ve had an update from Glowmarkt and I quote:

We had a technical issue (a firewall failure) earlier this week. Initially when was restored we found that response times were unacceptably slow but this morning have made changes that are getting us closer to normal but not there yet.

For people who don’t have our CAD and are using Bright or any libraries that rely on the 30 minute updates from the DCC, api or pseudo MQTT, they are not currently enabled and are returning HTTP 503. The overnight updates should be working as normal.

This has been going on for days. Updates on their forum here

Has anyone managed to get the Drayton IHD and make it work THD-PCKTR004 In Home Display (Insights+) ?
Is this really a Geo Trio IHD, sending data to Geo servers, and thus accessible via Geo APIs (for free?)

Other than via Drayton, is there any other way with someone with SMETS2 meter and an older non-wifi Chameleon IHD, to get a Trio Wifi IHD (which can then be integrated into HA)?

Excellent work. I made some changes to allow for the newer format for template sensors.

- platform: template
  - unique_id: geo_gas_usage_total
      name: 'Total Gas Used'
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.geo_energy_usage_total','totalConsumptionList') | selectattr('commodityType', 'equalto', 'GAS_ENERGY') | map(attribute='totalConsumption') | first/1000*11.1868 }}"
      unit_of_measurement: "kWh"
      device_class: 'gas'
      state_class: total_increasing
      attributes:
        last_reset: '1970-01-01T00:00:00+00:00'
    - unique_id:  geo_electricity_usage_total
      name: 'Total Electricity Used'
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.geo_energy_usage_total','totalConsumptionList') | selectattr('commodityType', 'equalto', 'ELECTRICITY') | map(attribute='totalConsumption') | first }}"
      device_class: energy
      state_class: total_increasing
      unit_of_measurement: "kWh"
      attributes:
        last_reset: '1970-01-01T00:00:00+00:00'
    - unique_id:  geo_gas_usage_live
      name: 'Live Gas Usage'
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.geo_energy_usage_live','power') | selectattr('type', 'equalto', 'GAS_ENERGY') | map(attribute='watts') | first }}"
      state_class: total
      unit_of_measurement: "Wh"
    - unique_id:  geo_electricity_usage_live
      name: 'Live Electricity Usage'
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.geo_energy_usage_live','power') | selectattr('type', 'equalto', 'ELECTRICITY') | map(attribute='watts') | first }}"
      state_class: total
      unit_of_measurement: "Wh"

The sensor names are not based on the unique_id - they are based on the name, so I also changed the utility meter source names:

utility_meter:
  electricity:
    source: sensor.total_electricity_used
  gas:
    source: sensor.total_gas_used

I don’t get the error messages about the unexpected device class - this appears due to using the deprecated template format.

Update: I added the conversion factor to capture the Gas usage in kWh, and changed the unit of measurement. This works better since gas is priced by kWh.

I have a Chameleon IHD6 (with CAD in the serial number) installed by my current supplier, outfox the market. I’am using the Hildebrand Glow DCC integration as described above but was keen to get more frequent updates than 1/2 hourly with a view to getting near real time consumption.

I found an option on the IHD6 to ‘pair with account’, then attempted to add a device in SmartThings using the manufacturer ‘bulb’ (I am not a bulb customer). To my surprise, the IHD6 offered up a pairing code that I was able to enter into the SmartThings bulb integration and it started showing my consumption (I am guessing eternal consumption). Smarthings bulb did not ask for any customer information.

Subsequently, I installed the HA SmartThings integration and low and behold I now have a sensor entity in HA that updates kWh value every 1 minute.

The most significant thing here is I have done this without purchasing any additional equipment. Has anyone else discovered this? Obviously it would be nice to get it from the IHD6 directly but I regard 1m updates as a step forward.

I’ve added the sensor to the Energy dashboard but insufficient time to see how it works yet.

2 Likes

Indeed I mentioned it in this thread some time back. However, with Bulb in administration who knows how long it may last. Fingers crossed that Bulb is just the proxy and it’s actually communicating directly with Chameleon as I believe they run the data collection.

There is going to be a MQTT CAD for the SMET2 meters sold by Glowmarkt they’re just working on putting them together. May be worth getting yourself down on the notify list.

While I linked the Chameleon IHD smart meter to the Bright App - it seems hit or miss whether the data comes through home assistant. Sometimes it’s fine, sometimes not. My supplier in the UK for electricity is EDF energy. Did wonder if there is a better device I can use, and also if I bought another device, could I replace the existing devices fitted by EDF energy.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the info on this thread and in particular to @HandyHat for the ha-hildebrandglow-dcc integration - I was able to get the half-hourly data from my SMETS2 electricity meter into Home Assistant after going through the DCC Other User verification (via only the GUID, so no sensitive personal data required) on the Bright App as instructed.

As an aside, Hiledbrand / Glowmarkt support were incredibly responsive (got back to me within half an hour on a Saturday) - they are expecting their hardware (for the realtime data) to be back in stock this month (February).

1 Like

Did you ever resolve this?

I think im getting the same error? and seeing Unauthorised 401 errors.

System ID is correct - and its getting the auth token?

Any help appreciated :slight_smile: ive tried all sorts lol

Sadly never solved it.

Then energy supplier went bust and geotogether stopped working for me.

I’m now using a combination of a current clamp and Hildebrand Glow integration through a DCC connection. This means I can also get gas data, although a little unreliable.

1 Like

Thanks for getting back to me Enoo.

I have now resolved this.

I will do a follow up post later today which will hopefully help others, i have simplified some of the code, im just working on pulling the System ID into it automatically again to make it simple for others to follow and use. I do also have it linked to Octopus Intelligent - so its also pulling in the correct costs for electric. I am having issues doing this with the Gas though (its in m3 and its billed in kWh)