UK WIFI Smart Socket - Screwfix - Testing

I got mine from Screwfix a couple of weeks ago

Iā€™ve been watching this with interest - iā€™m safe to go and buy a couple from screwfix now then ?

I have this plug and have never been able to integrate it. Will try this method however later on

and then typed in the IP address of the plug at the exact same time as I added it in the BG app.

It might not be supported if it is old enough. Adding the device hex line to the init file allowed it to be found, but no device or entites are made. Log just shows

[Errno -5] The device storage is full.

The trick is to use the APP to get the socket onto your network, then do nothing else in the app. if you add it as a device in the app (IE, press ā€œnextā€ and add to a room etc) it wonā€™t work with HA.

1 Like

EDIT: I got it to work with the app, and tried the step @Noodleyman mentioned again, but no luck.

I had read that in a few places. Unfortunately I never got that to work, and now I canā€™t seem to get the device to even get added to the APP. Restarted phone, device, wifi. Reinstalled APP. Tried to connect in AP mode as well. Nothing. Maybe I bricked it while trying to get it working with HAā€¦?

No Luck for either. Just get device not supported and this in the Log

Unsupported device: 0x51e2. If it worked before, please open an issue at https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues

are your devices on the latest firmware?

Yes, according to the app, V57053

I get the exact same issue

Also running latest firmware on the device. Here is the open issue that I posted earlier today, which will hopefully get it resolved in time soon. Though they likely have their hands quite full at the moment.

Hello Guys,

Any idea how to fix this ?
I am getting the message

Unlock the devices
socket (BG800/BG900 as 192.168.1.235 ) is locked. You need to unlock the device in order to authenticate and complete the configuration Instruction :

The BG app doesnā€™t have an unlock feature.

I also tried to add devices in Brodlink app but no luck. :frowning:

I had this when I first tried to connect.
What you need to do is update the firmware in the BG app, then once the socket has rebooted and connected to your network, make a note of its IP address. Then remove the socket from the appā€¦ Thesocket will then start flashing redā€¦
Within integrations on HA, add broadlink, and put in your IP address and let it search for your socketā€¦ Whilst doing this, add the socket in the app againā€¦ HA will timeout after 5 seconds, so just keep putting your IP address in and getting HA to try again until it connectsā€¦ I think I had to do it 5 times, whilst the app was finding it too. It will only connect at the same time as you are adding it in the app
Let me know if that helps.

The easiest thing Iā€™ve found is to use the Broadlink app instead of the BG app. You mention you didnā€™t have any luck with that? Was the option not there or you couldnā€™t add the sockets?

Once the sockets are added as normal, navigate to one and under the ā€˜attributesā€™ menu item (top left) there is a ā€˜lockā€™ toggle.

Also, be aware to set a static IP in your router for each of the sockets. They seem to renew IP leases fairly frequently and that causes ā€œunavailableā€ in HA.

1 Like

Thanks for reply @craigmdennis and @g8ryj .

I couldnā€™t add the sockets in the broadlink app. I have also tried IHC app both apps are not recognizing the BG sockets and its AP. I am not sure what am I doing wrong here.

But BG app works fine and I have added all my 3 sockets to it without any issue. Just can not add integration to HA now .

I will try @g8ryj suggested solution to see if that works.

I donā€™t think I had any issues with that part so I canā€™t be more help.

One thing to note is to make sure your wifi network is not ā€˜Smartā€™ or merging 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks with the same SSID. I had to turn off my 5Ghtz network from my router in order for them to connect.

Then press and hold the two on/off buttons until they start flashing quickly. Then hit ā€˜Add deviceā€™ in the Broadlink app on your phone.

@g8ryj solution partially worked. when I add just one socket !!

But When I added my 2nd socket as sub device to the first one in BG app. HA is saying to reconfigure my integration again.

When I click reconfigure I get the same message:

@craigmdennis my wifi network is not merging both 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz have different SSIDs. I have not tried it with turning 5Ghz off. I will give a try.

Do I need to add multiple integrations for my all 3 sockets with 3 different IPs? or a single integration will pick my other two sockets as sub devices . Not quite sure about this.

For each socket, you need to go into integrations and put the IP address of that new socket, so if you have 3 sockets, you need to add the integration 3 times.
I only have 2 sockets and I set them both up in HA before adding them to BG app, so I deleted both in BG app and added them both to HA. Once Iā€™d got them in HA, I added them into BG app.

2 Likes

Have you added the sockets to the Broadlink app on your phone? Thatā€™s the only way I was able to see the ā€˜lockā€™ toggle.

If you have separate SSID then thatā€™s fine. Turning off 5Ghtz wonā€™t make a difference.

And yes, you need to add each IP separately on the Broadlink HA integration.

1 Like

Have successfully managed to add 8 BG900 sockets to Home Assistant.

All sockets running the same firmware but not all connected easily and restarting my mobile seemed to improve chances of success.

What I did was:-

1. Used BG Home app, setup to add device using AP config
  2. Set socket into AP mode (intermittent flashing buttons)
  3. Socket connected to phone by selecting the BGHome-xxxxx network as per app info popup
  4. Select 2.4G network to be used and socket connect to wifi (in some cases had to repeat this step)
  5. Donā€™t add socket to BG Home app as this will lock it. i.e. stop when ā€˜Add to roomā€™ appears.
  6. Used Broadlink app to setup socket, it finds the newly added one when you run app.
  7. Name socket and unlock

Repeat 1-7 for each socket you have, BG Home app has no registered devices as these are all setup in the Broadlink app.
Added each socket to Home Assistant and configured automations
Added Broadlink skill to Alexa
If you lock them then HA wonā€™t be able to connect to the sockets if restarted.

3 Likes