Unable to configure wifi interface on raspberry pi 3 B+

followed instructions given in getting started webpage on hass.io website. But not able to configure wifi interface. I tried renaming a pd as “CONFIG” , putting WIFI credentials in a file calld “my-network” inside a folder named “network” [as per the instructions]

I might be missing something or can you help me with another way out. {hassOS is installed on my raspberryPI. Also, i am able to access it via SSH. over ethernet its working just fine }

So, what exactly doesn’t work? Got any errors when importing, or is it just not connecting?

via wifi it’s not connectingto network at all. i checked into router’s DHCP client list, but hassio isn’t there.
BTW is there anyother way to configure wifi through ssh ?

Please post:

1. the full name and path of the network setup file

2. the precise contents of the file (you probably don’t want to show us your ssid or network password.)

You can check how to from here for hassio

so here is content of file:

[connection]
id=HassOS default
uuid=f62bf7c2-e565-49ff-bbfc-a4cf791e6add
type=802-3-ethernet

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

connection]
id=hassos-network
uuid=d55162b4-6152-4310-9312-8f4c54d86afa
type=802-3-ethernet

[ipv4]
method=auto
[ipv6]
method=auto

[connection]
id=hassos-network
uuid=72111c67-4a5d-4d5c-925e-f8ee26efb3c3
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=replaced with routers SSID

[802-11-wireless-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=*to be replaced with routers password

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
method=auto

and path to the file is 45%20AM
my-network is saved WITHOUT any file extension.

The instruction page Getting started - Home Assistant says the file should be called network/hassos-wifi, although I am unsure if the precise name matters.

you are missing the opening [ on the connection line.

Also, is there a reason you want both wired and wireless?

okay … that worked. and the file must be named as network/hassos-wifi.
lucky being able to configure wifi & ethernet with static ip’s

I’m having the same issue, have more things to try, but for clarity is this help out of date:

1. WiFi and Static IP setup only: Format a USB-Stick with name CONFIG , create a folder named network and within that folder a file named my-network . Copy one of the examples to the my-network file.

It’s unclear if ‘my-network’ is to be taken literally or replaced with something.

Literally.

The USB drive, name it CONFIG. Then create a folder name network and then create a file named system-connections. Inside the file, enter the following:

[connection]
id=hassos-network
uuid=YOUR_UUID_NUMBER
type=802-11-wireless

[802-11-wireless]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=YOUR_WIFI_NAME

[802-11-wireless-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=YOUR_WIFI_PASSWORD

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
method=auto

You can find a full guide for Hassio here

2 Likes

Thanks JuanM! that did the trick

I’m having the same issue as the original poster…

@JuanM
Thanks for your tutorial, it has given the most accurate directions so far so just wanted to start by saying thank you.
I’m having difficulty getting the pi to connect to wifi. All i’ve done so far is follow your tutorial, however the only part i’m not 100% sure of is the file type of the ‘system-connections’ file. i’m using a .txt file?

Once I boot the Pi I can see the ACT Led flashing, however I get an error message when i go to http://hassio.local:8123/
“DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN”.
After trying again and again the following message appears:
“ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED”
The only difference to your tutorial is that i’m using the 32Bit image.

I’ve no idea where to go from here, someone please help :frowning:

The file has no extension. A .txt extension is a windows thing, hassio runs linux.

Thanks for that Nick, I’ll give it a go.

For anyone reading this, to save a ‘file’ in something like notepad, google says to put the file name into quotation Mark’s when saving and done add an extension.
I’ll try this and update if it has worked :slight_smile:
Thank you!

Well the file has worked and my router can see my raspberry but i can’t access it through it’s IP address or via 'http://hassio.local:8123/.
I’m using a raspberry pi 3 B+ and have used the latest hassIO image from ‘https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/’ however I still can’t manage to see anything on my browser.
Any help appreciated or best off to move to hassbian?

**SOLVED
For anyone having similar issues, I logged into my router to find my devices IP address. Once found you need to put this into the URL bar FOLLOWED by the port number 8123 - so; http://192.168.1.1:8123

Yes the port number comes after the ip address/hostname.

I have the same problem. Followed the tutorial by JuanM, Followed the hassio setup instructions, renamed the file to any possible name I could find on the internet and no luck. Hassio just won´t connect to WIFI. I first thought it may be because I´m using a RPi2 with a dongle so I got a RPi3B+. No change. Im extremely frustrated because “advertising” something as an easy to setup headless system and not providing a straightforward way to the most basic thing in the world (connect to WIFI) is just sad. Is there something that changed and was not added to the documentation? I´m seriously considering using something else than HA just because of the WIFI issue.

Well you could use hassbian and avoid this method of setting up wifi entirely, or used wired ethernet.

Or you could post your file and exactly what error messages you are getting.

The file content was exactly as provided in the thread (but with my own UUID, SSID and wifi password of course). After connecting to a tv via HDMI i couldn´t find any error messages but thanks to WIFI definitions on HASSIO I was able to setup wifi. This is of course nowhere near to a headless setup.