Unable to remotely connect to Home Assistant with the new iOS app (1.5)

I’m having this same issue. Unable to login to the mobile (iOS) app or via safari on my mobile. I uninstalled the app, reinstalled and when I click done it says “Initializing” but nothing happens.

Same issue here. Was working perfectly on my old iPhone, but I upgraded to iPhone 11 Pro and I cannot get app to reconnect. Still working perfectly on wife’s phone. I’ve tried everything, including deleting the app. Help!

Ran into the same issue today with the mobile app. I had everything working fine with DuckDNS but recently purchased my own domain and wanted to move over to that.

Accessing from the web browswer worked fine with https://mydomain.org:8123 but I would get the “Shared.TokenManager.TokenError error 1” error message. The only thing that worked for me was deleting the app and reinstalling it.

Once I did that I used https://mydomain.org:8123 and was taken straight to the log in page.

This is all a bit odd and I have found the iOS Companion app all a bit odd. The way it creates senors and multiple. The way notifications or location tracking won’t work and have to go thru hoops. That said, I think all or none of the above fixes work. Well they work but something is going on. I tried the Safari route and paste that URL in and the login page then came up. But then backed out and changed it back to the standard URL:8123 and it was still working. SO not sure what is being backed into Safari or something that is saving the token or something else or the fact that you just went to the site with Safari and some token/cert/key is now on the phone and since the app is using Safari it just now works for now.

Anyway I digress. What are people doing with the internal URL or don’t they anymore?

Thanks.

JR

My iphone automatically updated my app in background.
Now i am unable to login, it says that the component mobile_upp is not loaded.
I checked my config file, i have ios: , discovery: , mobile_app: but no login.

Then diggind the net i found a post where someone explained how to remove ios integration and clean the files in .storage folder but also in this case the login was not successful.

I tried to delete the db file, restarted HA several times.

nothing it wont’t work. I am concerned, as an IT manager regression tests are the ABC to have a solid platform. Home assistant every update needs to start again with all the configuration files and integrations. Quite pissed off.

Thanks.

Home Assistant is still a work in progress which is why almost every release has breaking changes. The new iOS mobile app is hundreds of times better than the previous version with some new capabilities. As such, there are breaking changes. There is a document that describes how to upgrade from the old to the new integration. Specifically it addresses how to remove the previous iOS integration and add or transition to the new mobile app integration. And for future reference, deleting the database file is only useful in troubleshooting the recorder functionality of HA when an upgrade fails or the database gets corrupted.

https://companion.home-assistant.io/en/getting_started/migration

I can confirm it took me about 10 minutes to fix everything after the upgrade.

If you have mobile_app:, or better yet default_config:, in your configuration.yaml but it not loading you probably have Outdated dependencies. Please see the guide here

I’m having the same (and a few other) issues, though I’m using Nabu Casa instead of Duck DNS. HA will not load on a Chrome browser at all (locally - Nabu loads fine remotely in Chrome), loading in Safari takes 2-3 tries and the iOS app will load locally but not remotely. Is this an issue with the update? I’m going to try the procedures in the previous post tonight, but it’s rather frustrating.

FYI…nothing worked. iOS app still won’t connect remotely.

What error message do you receive when it fails to connect remotely? If it’s not working in the browser, it’s unlikely to work in the app. If it’s occasionally working but subject to timing out, my guess is that your Home Assistant instance is running low on available resources, or your connection is not fast enough to communicate to the app. The app’s timeout is very high – 60 seconds without any traffic coming in – and should be relatively flexible about slow connections, given it’s a mobile device afterall.

I don’t get an error message when trying to connect remotely with the app. It just spins until a timeout bar shows up at the top. In following the steps for using Nabu, there is no option to check for using remote URL as described and if I try to manually enter the Nabu address I get an error message that says it will detect automatically and can’t be entered manually yet it never does.
My home WIFI is plenty fast enough and I doubt it’s a resource issue as everything was working perfectly until updating last weekend.

If the app is not detecting Nabu Casa I suggest making sure Remote Access is enabled in your Cloud settings - its being enabled is what makes the toggle appear. You may also need to upgrade your HA if you are older than the latest version due to security reasons.

Nope. Cloud access is enabled and HA is running the most current version (updating to this version is when it stopped working).

External URL is where the Cloud option is.

I don’t understand your response. The picture I posted is the response I get when I try to manually enter the Nabu address in either internal or external and it shows that there is no switch for selecting “Use external.”

If you are receiving connectivity errors from the app even internally, and cannot load your HA instance at all, I suggest using the Reset feature in the app settings. Going through onboarding again will allow it to communicate with your server and figure out the Cloud URL.

Nope. Done that 3 times.

I’m not sure what is happening for you; that there’s issues in the browsers as well makes me concerned that something is happening outside the app. It does seem like there is a network connectivity issue going on, either way; that Cloud isn’t picked up when the app is initially set up is perplexing. It would be worth double checking that, when setting up, whether it shows a (√) or a (X) for Cloud.

If you’d like to grab logs (Settings (in-app) -> Export Logs) you can join the Discord in #ios_and_mac and we can take a look together to try and figure out what’s going on.