Unfolded Circle Remote Two tips and tricks

Hi all, thought it might be nice to have a thread where we can share tips and tricks, configs and ideas for the Unfolded Circle Two remote. I just got mine two days ago and haven’t had time to look at it much yet, will start setting it up this weekend. The quality feel is amazing at least :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m having trouble getting it to connect. I keep getting “Error on load: AxiosError: Request failed with status code 500”

I’m having lots of problems myself. The remote keeps getting disconnected from the network. Feels a bit unfinished at the moment. Also very annoying that you can only have one integration active, I have two Apple TVs and both my TV and my decoder is running Android, can only add one.

Solved the problem with not having two Android integrations. Hard to find IR codes for my Philips TV and the documentation on the remote is not great, but I found the option to blast the dock with the old remote and that way learn the codes. Installed an update on the remote (1.1.1), seems alot more stable on the network now.

A bit fiddley now in the beginning but this looks very promising, alot of customization :slight_smile:

I’m still waiting for mine. How is the Apple TV integration? Can it pair via BT?

Paired without any problems, not sure what protocol it uses. I’m having issues getting the TV to change inputs like my Harmony elite does, for example when pressing the activity Apple TV it changes over to the right HDMI port. So far I’m not using it as the main remote, but haven’t had too much time to fiddle. The documentation is very lacking in these area, non-existant perhaps.

Seems the connector for Home Assistant is a bit unstable. I suspect it has to do with large amount of entities.

I’m on the waiting list to order one of these, but every time someone posts on the forum with HA related things, I get further and further from actually wanting one. There is one thing I really need to be able to do between HA and the UC Remote, and I can’t seem to get a straight answer on whether I’ll be able to do it. So I thought I’d ask here:

Can the UC Remote run a HA script?

Without that, I can’t replace my Harmony Hub with the UC Remote. Why? Because sometimes I use the remote to change the another device, and sometimes I use some HA scripts to change to another device. Since you can’t tell the remote to change activities with an API call (like you can with the Harmony Hub), I have to devise an alternate way to run things that involves a bunch of HA scripts. But if I can’t assign HA scripts to buttons/icons on the UC remote, then that idea won’t work either. I’ll be stuck with the Harmony until it dies I guess.

Still waiting for the same, remote had been standing in the dock since I got it, using my Harmony elite. I’m told the feature is coming in october.

Yes it has been added.

1 Like

finally received mine yesterday! loving it. maybe a dumb question – but is there no integration to install in home assistant to send commands to remote like harmony has? i’m all set up with home assistant on the remote but i’d like to be able to trigger activities from within home assistant. if there’s no full on HACs integration, is that achievable with rest commands or something?

There is not. I asked about that during development, and the answer was “it’s a remote not a media device.” I don’t know if the devs will ever change their minds, but right now it looks like there won’t be a way to control the remote via API calls or integration. I think you can do API calls to the Dock to at least do IR blasting, but that’s about it.

@rob.james.lee Happy to hear you like it :slight_smile: HA integration is on our todo list, but we’re really busy still. However once we can catch up with all the things, we’ll get on it.

You can use the HA Global Cache integration to use the dock as an IR blaster.

@pkscout You can control the remote via its API: GitHub - unfoldedcircle/core-api: API specifications for Remote Two by Unfolded Circle

1 Like

Maybe I’m just not seeing it in the documentation or the API definition, but I don’t see anything in any of the GitHub stuff that will let me change to a different activity via an API call. I see where I can create, modify, and delete activities, but nowhere to “run” them. I’d be really happy if I’m wrong, as this is a core thing you can do with the Harmony hub that is currently integral to how my setup works.

1 Like

It’s there :slight_smile:
/entities/{entityId}/command

2 Likes

thanks marton! you wouldn’t remember but i’m the guy whose dog ate half of my harmony a few years back – fortunately, you saw my post and directed me to the kick starter that was just lahnching (no new remotes were harmed in the making of this post). worth the wait!

definitely get that the ha integration isn’t a super high priority – but glad to hear it’s eventually coming.

in the meantime – are the existing api calls sufficient to just set up a basic rest command simply to launch my tv activity from ha? that’s literally all i really need. i tinkered with the api the other day but i’m tech savvy enough only to be dangerous, but not enough to quickly to figure out all the authentication stuff quickly. but if you tell me there’s a way – i’m happy to play with it this weekend and brute force my way into figuring it out

oh sorry i just saw the post above answering my question. well the rest of my post remains applicable – so i’ll leave it. but yep i got my answer and off i go to figure it out. thank you!

Mine is still collecting dust, too little time to look into how to get it to change to a specific source on my TV like the Harmony Elite activities does. Both my TV and set-top box are Android. Hopefully I will have some time during christmas.

I’m looking forward to the HA Integration !

Nonetheless I really like the hardware even though I had some issues with the software first…(crashing remote, unresponsivness and such)

Got all my devices added pretty easily, but they only seem to work per-device, kind of like the Harmony Devices area. I can use the D-pad to control Android TV, but I have to close that and open my AVR to change the volume.

Am I missing where to create something like Harmony activities? Even something like dragging commands of any device onto buttons?

Sorry, very new to HA - trying to migrate from Hubitat.