Universal Solar Inverter over Modbus RS485 / TCP custom_component (AlphaESS, Growatt, Sofar, SolaX, Solinteg, Solis, SRNE, Swatten, TIGO TSI & Qcells Q.Volt Hyb)

If it’s a Gen3 it should have built in Ethernet. Just had a quick Google and some look like they may be based on the Gen4? Unless yours is an older model?

What’s the first 4 digits of the serial number of the Inverter? I can then tell which gen it is.

Breaking Change!

Support for pyModbus before 3.5.2 has been dropped!
This release will only work on HA 2023.9.2 and later.

For users still on HA 2023.8.x and earlier you will need to stay on Integration 2023.09.3.

Fixes issue #528

Hi! I have X1 hybrid (gen3), but i can not even connect over modbus TCP nor rs485. How did you do that? For instance, plug in ethernet cable to the built in ethernet and to the raspberry pi ethernet port?
Thanks in advance

Hi!

I just got Solax X3 hybrid G4 installed yesterday, along with Pocketwifi and I was able to connect the integration using the pocketwifi IP, everything works, but I have a few questions.
First, why some of the entities are unavailable, does it mean that the inverter does not provide these?
I would also like to ask which sensor provides a status of grid, I want to know if there is voltage from the grid (i.e. detect a power outage)… I couldn’t find any sensor for this.
And finally, I have set up a power flow plus card, which is nice, however I can’t find a separate sensor for current battery input and output, there is only sensor.solax_battery_power_charge but it shows input with positive and output with negative value and the card doesn’t understand that. It shows any value as output from battery. Is there any way to work around this or should I contact the card developer (or try to hack it myself)?

Thanks!

Actually, it seems that the power flow card only expects the battery values the other way round, negative for production and positive for consumption, so it should be an easy fix.

The PowerFlow Card I use allows for Bi-directional sensors, I think you also have the option to invert the direction.

If you’re using another Card to only allows positive sensors your need to template the available sensors to your needs.

I believe the integration must remain compatible with what it did in previous versions. Remember some of us build automations and perform long time logging. As far as I van see, this is not a bug.

I have found that it has an option to reverse the values, I just didn’t see it in the manual first.

Anyway, do you have any thoughts about my other questions?

Well, I then have to answer myself…
It seems that some entities are disabled but can be enabled, namely sensor.solax_grid_status for example, which exactly is what I was asking for in the second question. I simply enabled the entity and after 30 seconds I can see “OnGrid”, which supposedly switches to “OffGrid” when there is a power outage.

However I am now struggling with understanding select.solax_manual_mode_control, which can be either “On” or “Off”. What is a purpose of this control setting? When I switch Charger use mode to Manual and select a desired mode with Manual mode select, it does what it should, so how does the manual mode control selection work?

I have never used it, just set charger use mode to manual and select either Charge or Discharge or ‘Stop Charge and Discharge’.

If you have a Gen4, I would even recommend to use Modbus Power Control (see wiki Modbus Power Control (remotecontrol power) · wills106/homeassistant-solax-modbus Wiki · GitHub )
But maybe you need to get more familiar with the system first…

Yes, I will look into the remotecontrol later, I know about it, but as you say, I first have to look around everything first.
I will also switch from Pocketwifi to Pocketlan, as I have laid out the data cable from the invertor to the server room today and I have both wifi and lan module.

I was also wondering, is there any advantage/disadvantage in using modbus via the COM port in the invertor (via Waveshare modbus/eth convertor) vs. using modbus on TCP directly on the invertor’s IP? Or is it exactly the same?

PocketLan has no support for Modbus-over-TCP, as far as I know. The newer PocketWifi modules do support that.

1 Like

There is no modbus support on PocketLAN, so I believe this wont work (at least in the versions I am familiar with). PocketWifi can become unstable after a while, so it is unclear how long your system will run without reboot.
So in my opinion, the most reliable solution is indeed via a modbus/eth converter

1 Like

Oh I see, thanks for the insights. Strange that Pocketlan does not support Modbus over TCP while Pocketwifi does. But I will try it to be sure and will let you know :slight_smile:
If it’s true then I’ll stick to wifi and if the wifi connection will be unstable over time, I’ll end up using the modbus/eth converter setup.

1 Like

I saw that you found the solax_grid_status but in case you still want to see the grid voltage there is also the solax_grid_voltage sensor.

Yes I found that too, but it shows 0V all the time, I think it’s because I have the system switched to hybrid setup, so the grid power does not actually go through inverter now.

If you are missing some of the Grid sensors do you actually have a Modbus Power Meter or at least CT Clamps setup on your Inverter?

Yes I have, but I have a switch which changes modes before the power enters the inverter, so that I will be able to get more than 15 kW (which is the inverter rating). When I switch it so that everything goes through inverter, it acts as a ups/eps, but I can’t draw more than 15 kW (or 5 kW per line).

Where exactly is the Modbus Power Meter / CT Clamps installed in relation to everything?

CT clamps are on the cables in front of the inverter, but I don’t know exact details. However we will have a planned power outage on Oct 2nd so I’ll have to switch it before that and that should confirm or deny my hypothesis :slight_smile: