Update notifications! Core, HACS, Supervisor and Addons (now a blueprint!)

Came back to this thread after previously installing what is now a rather old version of this package (now blueprint). I was looking to update to the new blueprint, but I’m not sure I understand the new settings. I’m hoping to set it up to only get persistent notifications within Home Assistant when there are updates. I’m personally not interested in getting push notices to my phone when there is an update. Is this possible with the blueprint?

So I wanted it to be but I can’t seem to figure out how to make an optional input in a blueprint. I think I’d have to take away the selector and just make it a text input so I can say “enter '' to ignore” which is really frustrating.

Another alternative is to have a separate boolean input that is basially “don’t send a mobile notification”. It would still unfortunately make you pick a mobile device because of blueprint limitations but it wouldn’t use it.

EDIT: @Snuffy2 ok I think I figured it out. Going to do some updates to support a default so its optional :+1:

The alternative core update will be useful here since apparently binary_sensor.updater is no longer used.

Hi,
Does this automation support HACS updates?

Yes. Both the original package and the new blueprint do. For the blueprint you do have to enable experimental features in HACS though as the update entities aren’t available in stable. See the blueprint thread for more details

2 Likes

I’ve been using this blueprint for a week or two now and I love it. I just have a single suggestion. When choosing the Changelog option for an update, the notification is dismissed and I can no longer use it to trigger or skip the update. To solve for that, would it be possible to simply re-trigger the notification if the Changelog option is chosen?

So I guess first question is android or iphone? For android this is trivial, I’ll add an option for sticky. Sticky notifications don’t dismiss when an action is selected, only when swiped away or dismissed by automation. Actually I may just set that by default as that makes sense.

For ios I’m not sure if I can. I’ll see but I’m not sure if I get an event when a URL action is clicked on. If I don’t then there’s no way for me to tell when to recreate the notification.

I would suggest making a feature request for the sticky option on ios if that’s what you use. It’s really handy.

EDIT: Looks like I do get an event even for URI actions. I’ll see what I can do in that case. But seriously, the sticky option is great.

Thanks! I’m sure it would be a good option for either platform, but my use case is specifically for an iPhone.

Oh lol I’m already setting sticky to true, duh. Explains why this is the first I’m hearing of this, this is already the behavior for android. Alright I’ll try to add it for ios but seriously, please submit a feature request for sticky support on ios. This should be a native feature not one blueprint developers have to build themselves to make notifications cross-platform.

Ok should be working now. Clicking the changelog action on an ios device should recreate the notification to emulate android’s sticky feature. Give it a shot and let me know if you have any issues.

Quick question:
What do i have to fill in the field “Update entities” when i want every available update as notification?

Do i have to fill in nothing or *

thx

Update entities is for updates you want to know about immediately. Like if there’s an addon you want to be informed about updates for as soon as they come out then list it there.

For all others the blue print will check and inform you about updates for them every few hours (whatever you put in reminder_hours. If you’re fine with that speed for all of them then no you don’t need to put anything in update_entities

1 Like

Thx, now it’s clear to me.
Now have just added one entity and let default reminder 3h. “Only after” and " Only before" is set to 8:00:00 - 21:00:00.

Thx a lot for this.
Will see how it goes.

Is it possible to update the hass using the button from the dashboard?

@CentralCommand Is there any way to format the output generated by

command: 'ssh -o UserKnownHostsFile=/config/.ssh/known_hosts <INSERT HOST USERNAME>@<INSERT HOST ADDRESS> -i /config/.ssh/id_ed25519 ''sudo apt update > /dev/null && sudo apt list --upgradeable'' | jq --raw-input --slurp ''{ "packages": split("\n") | del(.[] | select(. == "" or . == "Listing...")) }'''

so the content of packages is not
package 1, package 2, package 3
but e. g.
package 1,\n package 2,\n package3 ?

This way I could probably format the output using a proper card (looking at https://github.com/iantrich/list-card currently).

At the end I want a proper visualization of that data, as what I currently use is just horrible for reading:

- type: custom:entity-attributes-card
            title: ''
            heading_name: ' '
            heading_state: Verfügbare Paket-Updates [Server]
            filter:
              include:
                - key: sensor.updates_server_host.packages
                  name: ' '

In case you know another proper card for this job: thanks a lot in advance!

Hi, since the Supervisor update to 2023.4, the Supervisor update function is not working anymore. The code below has worked perfectly during the last years. Does anybody experience the same issue?

- platform: command_line
  name: system_supervisor_updates
  command: 'curl http://supervisor/supervisor/info -H "Authorization: Bearer $(printenv SUPERVISOR_TOKEN)" | jq ''{"newest_version":.data.version_latest,"current_version":.data.version,"update_available":.data.update_available,"addons":[.data.addons[] | select(.update_available)]}'''
  value_template: "{{ value_json.addons | length }}"
  unit_of_measurement: pending update(s)
  json_attributes:
  - update_available
  - newest_version
  - current_version
  - addons

because they have made it easier, with a blueprint, see topic start.

This was a bug affecting command line sensors intoruducrd in HA Core 2023.4.0.

It’s been fixed in 2023.4.1.

Instead of selecting specific add-ons, could there be an option to automatically (and dynamically) detect all of them? So if/when I add add-ons in the future they are automatically included in the alert?

1 Like

does anyone know why the audio info is failing now?