Update notifications (Core, OS, Addons, HACS, etc)

Tnx, I’ve forked it and added “my version” / the updated one as a BP. Will test it!

@CentralCommand . Thank you for the great blueprint. I have a question. I receive the update notification in HA under notification panel but I never receive push notification on my phone.
I am using the companion app on IOS 16. I also checked my device id and its correct.
any ideas why I am not getting push notification to my phone even though I am connected locally.
I also dont have any errors under the automation trace

Think you might be hitting this:

Is it just the update notifications you aren’t receiving or all of them?

Feature Request: Be able to schedule an update for a time in the future. I would like to update my stuff over night when I’m sleeping.

You’re on the wrong thread, you want this blueprint:

This blueprint is for people that want to manually update after they read the release notes and review the breaking changes. Since there’s some in every release.

1 Like

Do you run into the issue where all your HACS entities show as updating whenever you download a new component from HACS? I don’t see anyone else complaining about this issue, so I’m wondering if it’s the result of the change I made to incorporate your suggestion.

1 Like

I can’t seem to find exactly this, forgive me if it’s covered - the other day I got a notification from HA that an update was available while at work. I had assumed that the app could only do anything while connected to HA and wondered how the update notification came through. Is it the case where the blueprint is also functional on the app and so each device individually find an update available, or that HA somehow communicated with my device’s app over the internet? I’m sorry I’m horrid with code, I had a look but couldn’t really tell if something referred to “app check itself and notify user” or “HA send notification over x on port y” or anything like that.

Using this nice blueprint for a long time now. Here is my setup:

alias: Update notifications
description: ""
use_blueprint:
  path: mdegat01/update_notifications.yaml
  input:
    reminder_hours: "3"
    mobile_app_device: xxxxxx
    send_to_ha: true
    only_after: "08:00:00"
    only_before: "21:00:00"
    update_entities:
      - update.hacs_update

How can i trigger the notifications once a month?

Why?
Because there are sometimes multiple updates a week, which are not needed!
With this, you can have a collection of updates an install theme once a month in an maintenance period.

thx

The Config Check add-on isn’t available anymore.
It might cause some errors, if someone selects it.
Maybe you ( @CentralCommand ) could remove it from your blueprint?

2 Likes

Same here. Did you fix this somehow?

Can additional notification channels be added? I have email setup, and would love email alerts.

Hi, I’m really interested in getting update notifications but only if the new update version hasn’t changed for (let’s say) 5 days.
I feel that when an update stays unchanged for a couple of days or a week, it is less probable to cause trouble. I really want to avoid updating as soon as the updates are published.
Is there any way to set this blueprint to do that?

Thanks,
R.

hello. I can update everything but esp home devices.
when updating was-home devices I get this:

• update notifications: Choose at step 1: Install update action: Error executing script. Error for call_service at pos 2: Error rendering data template: UndefinedError: No first item, sequence was empty.
  • update notifications: Error executing script. Error for choose at pos 1: Error rendering data template: UndefinedError: No first item, sequence was empty.

Hi,

Thanks for this great Blueprint. I have been running this successfully for a long time. However, now since after I updated to 2023.11.0, I am seeing this error in the log and indeed my automation generated from this Blueprint is showing as malformed.

Tried removing the automation and recreating it, but indeed I cannot save the automation anymore before explicitly giving a list of update entities to watch. I don’t think I had to do this before. Any advice?

2023-11-01 23:01:09.279 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.automation] Blueprint ‘Update notifications’ generated invalid automation with inputs {‘reminder_hours’: ‘3’, ‘mobile_app_device’: ‘036976f543d02037f4fbfb2dae9a0a1f’, ‘take_backup’: False, ‘only_after’: ‘07:00:00’, ‘only_before’: ‘23:00:00’, ‘update_entities’: [‘update.home_assistant_core_update’]}: Unknown device ‘’

A reason for me not to upgrade to 2023.11 yet…

I have had the same issue and found a work around. If you select a device in mobile app one and two then the automation saves. I assume this means I’ll receive two notifications for each update but at least it is still working for now.

5 Likes

I can confirm the workaround. After selecting a device for Mobile app device 2 the automation can be saved and used again.

Can confirm the same, and also for me it helped to specify my mobile device two times. When I shortly after received a notification about an update it only showed up one time, and was working as usual.

Also for me the workaround is working :blush:
Thx

Looking forward to a fix for this, please.