Update of Home assistant or addons failed - system not healthy

Hello all. I run hassio with home assistant (not on an rpi, but on a regular server). I have HA core 0.115.0 running, and wanted to update HA core and ESPHome addon. For both i get an error in the log in the form of

20-12-03 12:14:43 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'AddonManager.update' blocked from execution, system is not healthy
20-12-03 12:15:50 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'HomeAssistantCore.update' blocked from execution, system is not healthy

I have no idea what is wrong or how to fix this. Can you help me?

You are using terms that describe very different things.

Six months ago, the term hassio was replaced by Home Assistant OS. If this is what you are currently using then you have the Supervisor and the ability to use Add-Ons. Home Assistant OS consists of an operating system and several docker containers, one of which contains the python code that forms Home Assistant. To upgrade it, select Supervisor > Dashboard > Update.

Home Assistant Core is different. It is just the python code. It is not in a docker container and cannot be used to upgrade Home Assistant OS.

The four official installation methods are described here.

Would it be fair to say that you have Home Assistant OS 0.115.0 and you wish to upgrade to the latest version of Home Assistant OS 0.118.4? If so, then the procedure is as I described above: Supervisor > Dashboard > Update. Let us know if that’s what you did (and that’s what produced the warning messages you posted) or if you did something different.

You might be affected by this (apparently it isn’t limited to installations on Synology DSM):

1 Like

I’m seeing a similar error and unable to update one of the add-ons in my Supervisor section. I only see a single line in the supervisor log:

0-12-04 06:28:56 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'AddonManager.update' blocked from execution, system is not healthy

I was trying to update to Visual Studio Code to v. 2.9.1. Running HA version 0.118.4.

EDIT: doing a full host reboot, seems to have fixed this for me.

1 Like

Ah ok, didn’t know about this rename.
Well i use a Debian server running docker running Home Assistant OS with Home Assistant on it. Yep, multiple layers, but at the time i installed it that was the only way i found to use Home assistant with the addon manager / addons from hassio.

As for version: in supervisor under Dashboard, i see " Home Assistant Core 0.118.4

You are currently running version 0.115.0". Update there does not work because of the health warning.
From the logs i see several warnings from supervisor during startup:

20-12-03 14:13:51 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.docker_configuration] Docker logging driver json-file is not supported!
20-12-03 14:13:51 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] The configuration of Docker is not supported (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/docker_configuration)
20-12-03 14:13:57 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.dbus.rauc] Host has no rauc support. OTA updates have been disabled.
20-12-03 14:13:57 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.host.network] Updating local network information
20-12-03 14:13:58 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.core] Fatal error happening on load Task <coroutine object HostManager.load at 0x7f704365d040>: 'ConnectivityCheckEnabled'

20-12-03 14:14:05 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluate] Starting system evaluation with state CoreState.SETUP
20-12-03 14:14:05 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] NetworkManager is not correctly configured (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/network_manager)
20-12-03 14:14:05 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.evaluations.base] Detected unsupported OS: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) (more-info: https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/os)

20-12-03 14:14:05 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unsupported environment!
20-12-03 14:14:05 CRITICAL (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unhealthy state and need manual intervention!

i fixed most of the problems with the help page mentioned after the warning, but the warning about the os was still there. The quickfix from Unhealthy System reported on Arch Linux helped for me, i could update both the system and the plugin.

I think when i have more time i will see if i can directly install the raspy HA oS / hassio image as a vm.

1 Like

I ran my Ubuntu apt update and apt upgrade. It updates my docker. After a system reboot, I am able to upgrade HassIO

2 Likes

I am experiencing the same issue since i had to reinstall my hassio on dsm synology. I do not understand what the bottom line is. Will this Problem be resolved or is “hassio on synology” dead now?

It’s my understanding that the installation method on Synology was never official but a community-supported technique. Although I’m not using Synology, I am in a similar predicament because I have opted to use Home Assistant Supervised on Ubuntu 18.04 which is also unofficial and exclusively community-supported.

All this to say that you should not be expecting a resolution from the development team; we are both using community-supported installation methods.

In my case, I can either install a third-party resource to get a more recent version of Network Manager for Ubuntu 18.04, or upgrade from 18.04 to 20.04. Those are (probably) the most painless, short-term solutions for me. Based on what I’ve read, it appears the OS upgrade will only eliminate the complaint about Network Manager’s version but not the ‘Supervisor is no privileged’ message. The long-term fix is to switch to using Debian 10 which is the one and only distro of Linux that is officially supported. I plan to do that after I buy a new SSD to replace the old hard-drive I current use.

1 Like

Hi Freestilla,

I also saw the same messages. I am running Ubuntu:

peter@hass:~$ uname -a
Linux hass 5.4.0-56-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Mon Nov 23 19:20:19 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
peter@hass:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
Release:	20.04
Codename:	focal

For me upgrading docker-ce and then reboot recolved the issue.

3 Likes

I just had the same problem when trying to upgrade with supervised on ubuntu. Updating all packages and rebooting worked and I could upgrade HA. Then I tried to install a new add on and got the ‘unhealthy system’ error again. Another reboot (to the machine, again) solved that too.

1 Like

Just thought I’d add to this discussion. I had Watchtower installed at one point in my docker environment, but I had sense removed it because of the unhealthy system notification. However, even after removing the Watchtower container, I was still seeing the unhealthy system message. It seems that even if the Watchtower image has been pulled, but not in use in a container; HA will complain about an unhealthy system.

Removing the Watchtowers image from docker fixed it all. As well as updating my Ubuntu 20.04 install.

Worked for me too. upgrade the Ubuntu host, reboot, then Home Assistant upgrades fine.

1 Like

I’m on 19.10 and I had the hope I could wait until I had time to migrate my system to ProxMox for a supported installation. Oh well, fingers crossed. Going to 20.04… shit.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think upgrading docker-ce did it for me.

peter@hass:~$ uname -a
Linux hass 5.4.0-58-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Wed Dec 9 08:16:25 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
peter@hass:~$ docker version
Client: Docker Engine - Community
 Version:           20.10.1
 API version:       1.41
 Go version:        go1.13.15
 Git commit:        831ebea
 Built:             Tue Dec 15 04:34:58 2020
 OS/Arch:           linux/amd64
 Context:           default
 Experimental:      true

Server: Docker Engine - Community
 Engine:
  Version:          20.10.1
  API version:      1.41 (minimum version 1.12)
  Go version:       go1.13.15
  Git commit:       f001486
  Built:            Tue Dec 15 04:32:52 2020
  OS/Arch:          linux/amd64
  Experimental:     false
 containerd:
  Version:          1.4.3
  GitCommit:        269548fa27e0089a8b8278fc4fc781d7f65a939b
 runc:
  Version:          1.0.0-rc92
  GitCommit:        ff819c7e9184c13b7c2607fe6c30ae19403a7aff
 docker-init:
  Version:          0.19.0
  GitCommit:        de40ad0
peter@hass:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
Release:	20.04
Codename:	focal
1 Like

Hello,

Latest update (Home Assistant 2020.12.1) fails when trying to upgrade.

Solution: restart service hassio-supervisor and service hassio-apparmor

OS system: Ubuntu 20.04

6 Likes

May be try my method

Thanks @dtalens. Ran into the same issue when trying to update to 2020.12.1 and restarting hassio-supervisor worked for me. I didn’t have to restart hassio-apparmor.

1 Like

This simple trick did it also for me. Also rebooted after the upgrade. My error was:

21-01-10 18:06:47 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] ‘HomeAssistantCore.update’ blocked from execution, system is not healthy

3 Likes

yep; it worked. Thanks…

sudo docker restart hassio_supervisor

I don’t have apparmor anyway…

3 Likes

Hi All, I had the same issue - followed the instructions here and can now update

In-case people are unsure what steps to follow, mine was as simple as (this is all above but put the entire issue and resolution in a single post to make it easier for anyone new) - i’m running HassOS on Ubuntu:

Error Received (for both updating the core and an update to the latest version

WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'AddonManager.update' blocked from execution, system is not healthy
WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.jobs] 'HomeAssistantCore.update' blocked from execution, system is not healthy

I SSH’d into my server and executed three simple commands

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo reboot

Waited for it to restart and now i can succesfully update

INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.core] Updating Home Assistant to version 2021.1.4
INFO (SyncWorker_5) [supervisor.docker.interface] Updating image homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:2021.1.1 to homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:2021.1.4
INFO (SyncWorker_5) [supervisor.docker.interface] Downloading docker image homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant with tag 2021.1.4

Note: This is a work around and is required each time you want to upgrade if your system isn’t completely up to date Thanks for clarifying this point @badabing

3 Likes