Update on the Z-Wave integration · Home Assistant dev docs

Migrating from Wink-land, using an HZUSB1 (/dev/ttyUSB0 for zwave).

Here are the steps I used based on a the documentation linked from the 0.110.0 release post… Hopefully it’s helpful to others:

Requires: Home Assistant Core 0.110.0+

1. Supervisor -> Add-on Store

• Mosquitto broker
      • Configuration Tab
        • anonymous: true
        • save configuration
      • start
  2. Configuration -> Integrations

• Add/Discovery MQTT
  3. Supervisor -> Add-on Store

• Repositories (3-dots top right)
    • Marcel’s Home Assistant Add-ons section
      • Open Z-Wave Daemon
        • Configuration Tab
          • anonymous: true
          • save configuration
            • zwave_device: /dev/ttyUSB0
          • save configuration
        • start
  4. Configuration -> Integrations

• Add/Discovery OpenZWave (beta)
  5. Developer Tools -> Services

• put my device (Leviton DZPD3 dimmer) in pairing mode (when light is green, hold down 15sec to factory reset; when green again hold for 7sec until flashing amber for pairing)
    • call: ozw.add_node
      • device stops flashing
  6. Configuration -> Devices

• DZPD3-1LW Plug-In Dimming Lamp Module appears

All done!

A couple of questions:

• I seem to have double-added my dimmer before I figured out how this worked. Is a way I can delete the nonfunctioning duplicate (“Delete” button from entity is disabled)?
  • @cgarwood is your add-on a more advanced fork of Marcel’s, trying to understand how it fits together?
  • There is an official OpenZwave add-on in the Add-ons store with recent commits as well, was that for the old 1.4 implementation?

The big picture is not yet super clear for noobs like me approaching this.

EDIT: I just spent a couple of hours trying to get my WD500Z-1 Linear Zwave switch to pair with the OpenZwave beta, I wasn’t successful. I added the older Zwave integration and was able to find it and add it in the older UI in 30 seconds.

Based on the lack of UI with the beta, my advice is for new users to stay clear of this… It’s a bit closer to Alpha atm.

2 Likes

Hi,
I have spent some nights trying to figure this out.
I want to run Mosquitto on a different server, not within HA addon.

I am unable to get Open Z-wave Deamon to start. Mosquitto is running (checked) MQTT integration is pointing to that IP.
When I start OZW deamon addon. I see: [ERROR] No Hass.io mqtt service found!

I tested with mosquitto addon, it starts fine then.
Is the Mosquitto addon obliged instead of selfhosted server? or is this a bug / still being worked on?

kind regards,

PS great work !!! much appreciated !

Did you try adding the external mqtt to home assistant integrations before starting ozw?

@nickrout
If the question is directed at me. Answer: Yes I think so, if that means:
add integration: MQTT > enter IP, User/Login, discovery Yes
Restart, go to development > MQTT > Add # to listen to, and then I see mqtt messages.
Go to integration, install OZW deamon, press start. >> I see this message. “[ERROR] No Hass.io mqtt service found!”. The icon color chages from green to grey again, indicating it has stopped. I can press start again.

I also tried deleting the mqtt integration again, adding mqtt: to the config.

mqtt:
  broker: 192.168.4.13
  port: 1883
  username: user
  password: login
  discovery: true   <tried adding this one as a third attempt. 

all with the same result. OZW daemon does not start with the error message mentioned.

I am wondering if this is intended behaviour.
If it is not, I am happy to create an issue in github, help with logs, test etc. :slight_smile:

Just to add info. If I install mosquitto add-on, install mqtt integration, install ozw-daemon and start it, there is no error message. I starts, and I see node information comming through in mqtt as expected.
If I install Zwave2mqtt, the external mosquitto server is seen as expected.
To make sure I am not the issue here with leftover bitsnbobs, I created a second fresh VM of homeassistant and did the above steps.

It feels to me that something is preventing ozw-daemon to see the external mqtt server.

regards,

Has anybody tried adding a ZWave controller using its “By-ID” descriptor?

I played with this new approach yesterday, but I couldn’t get the daemon to accept the string for the controller if I included a ‘By-ID’ type descriptor.

Gareth

I think By-ID won’t work - it should be by-id.

OK. I was typing from memory.
The string I entered was exactly the string currently in my configuration.yaml. I just copied and pasted it.

Here’s the offender:

OK, it’s a documentation error.
You need to have

Question.

If I were to install Mosquitto add-on, instead of self hosted mosquitto. Would that in anyway result in mqtt topic to change when I am switching over from one broker to the other?
I suspect switching broker doesnt change it, but I would like to have it confirmed.

Again, thanks to all the devs and the work on zwave integration. A lot of hard work and dedication. You guys are awesome.
Regards

OK, I have the daemon installed and running, and the integration.

HA recognised my TKB switches OK, but only partially recognised the Danfoss radiator valves. It recognised the device and the battery state entity, but not the set points and other entities. Looking at log.json, there’s plenty of traffic about full discovery of the rads, so I’m guessing that there’s something missing in the addon.

Luckily, I don’t need the rads right now - I hope :slight_smile: - so I’ll stick with it.

I’ll dig deeper and raise an issue where appropriate.

EDIT: I see from github that the climate elements were only added to the codebase a couple of days ago. I’ll leave well alone for now as I’m running 110 rather than dev code.

Hi, there seem to be 2 repos for this integration:
The custom component:

and the official version:

Can anyone explain the difference? I would like to use a cover node but that is not included in the “core” version but it seems to be included in the custom component. Does it make sense to start an issue for the core version or will it be included in a next Home Assistant Core version?

Can I run the OpenZwave daemon on a Raspberry Pi Zero and will a USB Zwave stick work with one?

So the HACS version, is the pre-release for early testers. This integration has been renamed to OpenZWave (beta) as it moved from the pre-release HACS repo to the official Home Assistant Core repo. It is the same integration. – It was renamed to avoid confusion with the existing zwave2mqtt project

There is no need to file a bug, the devs are already working to bring the remaining platforms from pre-release to beta. We should see more supported platform in HA 0.111 - You can use the HACS pre-release while we’re waiting.

Also if your handy with mqtt, it is possible to use most devices already even though they are not available in OpenZWave (beta)

Hello there. I was waiting for this to come. So I gave it a try but without luck… Do I need to pair again all devices after switching to this integration ?
I reverted back to the “old” integration with restoring a snapshot.

@SNoof85 No, you don’t need to rebuild your network: it’s stored on the stick.

There is only limited support at the moment though. There’s a lot of activity on GitHub, so hopefully, 111 will support more platforms. Switches work for me, but I’m waiting for climate.

Gareth

After few hours on this i’m unable to make it work. I have only fibaro fgd212 in my zwave network. I see that everything looks good from the ozw add-on but I can’t see any message on my mqtt so I think this is my issue. I did not found the reason for now…

Edit: seems that openzwave addon runs it’s own mosquitto. would it conflict with my mqtt that is already running with the official addon for zigbee2mqtt ?

Yes, I recognise that.
I cant get the deamon to connect to my own mosquitto instance. It needs to be the mosquitto addon to connect to. Tried everything. I have asked about this above, but I got no reply, so I assumed I was the only one being stupid enough not to understand it. :slight_smile: Or maybe this is the wrong topic as its the openzwave topic, not the daemon topic, I dont know.

But what i can’t understand is that i am using the mosquitto addon. Unless i did something wrong I’m not sure why the ozw daemon addon needs to start his own mqtt :smiley:
Nevermind, will wait for more stable things around this as i don’t want to screw up my production :smiley:

I would imagine MQTT in Open Z-Wave Daemon needed to send messages to MQTT on HA. The Open Z-Wave Daemon translates from Z-Wave to MQTT, which will be running in the Daemons container, which it then sends to the HA MQTT.