Update to 0.117 just bricked my system

Your Pi4 is not bricked, you just have a faulty installation most likely due to a breaking change in your configuration that you need to update.

Hass.io was renamed some time ago, please see HERE for correct naming.

Yes - Install the most current version of HA, upload and restore a previous snapshot. I would recommend you start basic and make sure that the items under Home Assistant (in green) are checked, and that any add-ons (in red) are unchecked, then restore.

Thanks for your reply.
My RPi4 is totally unresponsive, I can’t even move the cursor on the display, HA takes all CPU.
So only solution is format of the SSD and reinstall everything.
I tried to Restore (not Wipe Restore) without checking HA and the add-ons, it kind of worked but after I started adding the custom dashboards it crashed again …
This is really annoying as I have no way to stop it once it becomes unresponsive.
My last backup was made on 0.112

Set up ssh access.

SSH is also unresponsive, of course I do everything through SSH.

Still playing with my system, trying to restore different snapshots and see which of them work and which not.
Now I restore an older snapshot, I noticed the following in the System Logs:

20-11-10 15:36:51 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.snapshots] Found 5 snapshot files
20-11-10 15:36:51 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.discovery] Loaded 0 messages
20-11-10 15:36:51 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.ingress] Loaded 3 ingress sessions
20-11-10 15:36:51 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.core] Detected unsupported OS: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
20-11-10 15:36:51 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.core] NetworkManager is not correctly configured
20-11-10 15:36:51 INFO (MainThread) [__main__] Running Supervisor
20-11-10 15:36:51 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.core] System running in a unsupported environment!
20-11-10 15:36:51 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.addons] Phase 'AddonStartup.INITIALIZE' starting 0 add-ons
20-11-10 15:36:51 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.addons] Phase 'AddonStartup.SYSTEM' starting 0 add-ons
20-11-10 15:36:51 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.addons] Phase 'AddonStartup.SERVICES' starting 3 add-ons

I get this warning in Supervisor … I have raspbian buster, is that not ok?
Also there is an error related to Network Manager

Hello
After trying do make the update 0.117, my RPI3 is also bricked.
In the previous version, I made full snapshot, saved on the SDCard.
I understood the steps to fix the issue : install a clean version, then restore the snapshot.
–> I have a question. My snapshot is on the SDcard. How to proceed to install a new version and get the snapshot that is on that SDcard ?
Thks in advance

Copy with some utility the backup folder from the SD card, maybe all the hassio folder is even better.
There is a script above, I used it after installing Docker.
Then login to the new HA, configure Samba and copy the .tar files back in the backup folder, then you should be able to see them and restore the snapshots.

Maybe you can post some actual advice, instead of copy pasting some link to some scripts…

Maybe you could read the information kanga_who kindly provided and see that it is not “scripts” but the details required for a supported supervised system, and it answers your question.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I need, another riddle.
Of course I read many times what he posted, still no clue why my system does not work.
I even used the script to install it, so really not helping, sorry to say that.

Did you read this bit:

Debian Linux Debian 10 aka Buster (no derivatives)

I’m not saying it can’t work, just that it is unsupported.

I have raspbian buster updated/upgraded to the latest.
It worked for 6 months on this raspbian so I really don’t understand … and you like riddles it seems.

I don’t know how much simpler I can make it. This is not a riddle.

The ADR requires:

Debian Linux Debian 10 aka Buster

(NO DERIVATIVES)

You have the derivative:

It most likely broke because you are running an unsupported system.

1 Like

Whaaat!!! raspbian buster is not the same as Debian buster???
You are saying that for a minor upgrade you need to totally change the OS on the Pi4?
Is this for real?

No that’s not what I’m saying at all.

I’m saying your OS was never officially supported. Expect things to break. Don’t expect support from the developers.

The community is your only support and you’ve done a good job of insulting one of the most knowledgeable in this area already.

3 Likes

My apologies for linking you to the relevant information to help you understand why your system would be listed as unsupported, or how to identify problems based on the installation type you are using.

No, it’s not - see here. Also, the correct name is Raspberry Pi OS, it is no longer called Raspbian - that changed some time ago.

It sure is.

It’s been widely documented and discussed on these forums since the decision was made back in June, from memory, that derivatives of Debian will not be officially supported.

You can still use Raspberry Pi OS and install HA Supervised, it does still work. As @tom_l has already noted, the community will be be able to help with support.

Thanks for the reply, I did not mean to do any wrong just that I was out of solutions and could not find why my system is no longer working.
So what is my best option now?
Should I install Raspberry OS on my SSD directly and then install Supervised HA with the script above?
Or should I install Debian and install Supervised HA? Does Debian have a graphical interface or is it command line only?
I struggled a lot to understand how to make the SSD work, now I have to relearn the process for Raspberry OS I guess…

That would work, assuming you have updated the Pi4 for USB boot . You can follow this guide to do that. Any reference to SD card you can use your SSD. I have this method on a Pi3 and a Pi4 4gb, both work running off an SSD. You will get the “unsupported” message, however.

Alternatively, you can use one of the official HA images to USB boot. the 5.x versions for the Pi4 I believe are still in the Beta stage, but are working reliably for many, so could try one of them.

Follow the instructions HERE, but use the correct image for your Pi from HERE, most likely the image named hassos_rpi4-5.5.img.gz.