Update ZigBee firmware using deCONZ on Hass.io

I have 3 IKEA Lights and 1 Remote:

2x WS Opal 600lm E14 (LED1624G9) on FW 2.0.022
1x CWS Opal 600lm E27 (LED1624G9) on FW 1.3.002

1x Remote Control (E1810) on FW 1.2.223

When I hit Query on either of these, nothing happens. When I did it on my Osram Plug, it downloaded and started flashing immidiately.

Does that mean they are running the latest firmware? How do I know if that’s the case, or if something is wrong with deCONZ? Is there a list of the latest IKEA firmware somewhere that I can cross reference?

EDIT: Nothing happened because I had to download the files through the script and let deCONZ generate the .zigbee-files. Hitting Query on the nodes after this worked fine :slight_smile:

EDIT 2: I guess the only way to know if there is an update available is to download the files manually though the python script, and then comparing the version numbers. IKEA doesn’t publish a changelog for the FW anywhere (like Hue does) right?

Ikea published on twitter when they release a new firmware: https://twitter.com/tradfrifirmware
The changelog is not detailed but you can check https://ww8.ikea.com/ikeahomesmart/releasenotes/releasenotes.html or https://robotnet.dk/ikea-firmwares

2 Likes

That’s just what I was looking for, thanks!

I don’t rely get it, I have a lot of trådfri light and I am using Deconz add-on with a Conbee. How do I update the firmware on the lights?

Downloaded all the zigbee files from the links here: https://github.com/dresden-elektronik/deconz-rest-plugin/wiki/OTA-Image-Types---Firmware-versions and uploaded to deconz according to the post here: Update ZigBee firmware using deCONZ on Hass.io

I just downloaded all the files to /share/deconz_ota and run this command to upload all the files to deconz:

for i in *; do docker cp /share/deconz_ota/$i addon_core_deconz:/data/otau/; done

Basically it just runs the cp command for each file in the folder.

Suddenly my hue light strips started updating! Cool :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I get this message when I am trying to do that. How do I know if it works?

1 Like

I think you have some directories in the folder /share/deconz_ota. These will fail the cp command. What is in the dir (if you do a “ls -la /share/deconz_ota”).

If you check the deconz gui (OTAU), open the folder I guess you see that the files have copied. If a file copies successfully it does not prompt anything. Most likely it worked fine :slight_smile:

It works, thanks for the help @corvy

1 Like

Hi,

has anyone an idea how to enable OTAU?

For me its disabled and i cant connect to the old WebGUI. :frowning:

1 Like

ok got it! I had to reset to defaults at the port configuration in the configuration tab. After a restart, the old gui was reachable.

Hi

I clicked the “Query” button for my IKEA plug, but nothing happens. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

I do have the same results.
Nothing happens

Yes, same here. I still want to know how I can enable nowadays the OTAU server from the old Web app.
I started to input https://MY_HA_IP:DECONZ_PORT/login.html but that didn’t do the trick.
The old Webapp is still not reachable from the GUI, no matter how hard I klick :slight_smile:
I downloaded the OTA files into /data/otau with
for i in *; do docker cp /share/deconz_ota/$i addon_core_deconz:/data/otau/; done
and I can see the files if I go into the GUI and click to search for the files (several ones to choose in my case Ikea)
If I click Query it says queued but nothing happens.
Hmmm. My feeling is that I need to enable the OTAU server first, but I’m unsure. I was able to make this step on my Windows PC but in HA deconz is integrated, so there is no chance that I can see to enable this feature.
Am I missing something? …or should this nevertheless be available automatically?
Any update would be much appreciated.

I found out that with newer versions of the add-on there’s no need to download firmwares, they’re automatically downloaded. But, you need to enable OTA update server in deCONZ. For that, you need to enable it in the old web UI. The old UI does not work out of the box with the addon, as after a successful login you’re always redirected to /index.html and that does not exist when you’re running the addon in ingress mode. To fix that, here’s what I did:

• Go to add on configuration
  • Under network, add a port for deCONZ API backend (it’s disabled by default as it’s not required for ingress)
  • Restart the add on
  • Open http://YOUR-HASSIO-IP:YOUR-DECONZ-PORT/login.html
  • input username (delight)
  • input password (whatever you use to connect to Phoscon)

From there I don’t remember exactly how to get to settings, but you’ll need to go to settings, advanced settings and enable the OTA update server. After doing this, change the config again (remove the port) and restart addon. You’ll then be able to reach the deCONZ VNC app and start the update.

7 Likes

It may be that there are differences to this procedure depending on whether you run the deConz add-on or deConz stand-alone ?
I run deConz stand-alone in a container, and just selecting an IKEA node and clicking “Query” does absolutely nothing.
So, I went into the “old Web-App” and ticked off the “OTAU Server” , then “Apply” and finally restarted deConz. But still - nothing happens.
If I pull down the OTAU file list, it is empty. If I click on the three dots (…) it takes me to an empty folder named /root/otau/
So, I downloaded all the IKEA firmware files, and copied them all into this folder (inside the container). Now the folder list in the STD OTAU Plugin shows all the files. Then I restarted deConz, but - nothing happens.
So I manually slected the correct file for one of my IKEA Control-Outlet Plugs and then clicked on “Update”, and - nothing happens.

So my conclusion is: This OTAU-thing simply doesn’t work!

Sorry it’s not working for you, but this does work for me using the standard Deconz addon in Home Assistant.

It took me a while to get it up and running but what got it working was going into the old Webapp (via the new Webapp!), enabling Advanced settings, and then enabling OTAU. I’m not sure if I needed to restart or not but no harm doing so.

Finally, in deCONZ (via VNC) I enabled the STD OTAU PLUGIN in the PLUGINS menu. I selected a few Ikea bulbs and hit the Query button and although it took a while I checked on it later and saw that firmware was very gradually being downloaded and applied to the bulbs; I didn’t have to manually download any firmware files or create any folders. That was a few months ago but I don’t think there’s been any important firmware updates for Ikea Tradfri so I haven’t tried it again.

What do you mean; “the old Webapp (via the new Webapp”
How many Web-apps are there?
I have only two; One is named “Phoscon” and the other is referred to as “Old WebApp Version” AKA “Open Wireless Light Control (2016)”

Yes, " Open Wireless Light Control (2016)" is the one.

Then you navigate to Menu -> Settings.

Click SHOW ADVANCED SETTINGS button

Scroll down, and ensure the box is ticked: “Otau Server”

I am using a RPi3 with Home Assistant OS, and the deConz addon.
Looks like I within the addon can update the node-firmware. The addon comes with several firmware-files.
ezgif.com-gif-maker
How do I find the correct firmware-file, and if not in the folder, how to add a firmware-file to the folder?
UPDATE: Did find new firmware for my units in the firmware folder.

I’m also not able to update by OTAU.
I tried everthng mentioned above.
I do run Deconz as a Docker on my NUC

I do not know what to do next
OTAU server is activated in the old webapp