Updating Python to 3.8 on Synology

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f3285aa0870>

Hi all! I’m just getting started with this, but I really like the features…

Here’s my issue…can’t seem to get past it.

So, I know I need to upgrade Python to 3.8. However on my Synology NAS it installs as a separate package. When I try to uninstall the old 3.7, it shows that Home Assistant is dependent and won’t let me uninstall until I uninstall Home Assistant. I don’t want to lose the config I’ve done so far, so that’s not a good plan. 3.8 is already on my NAS. Is there a way to get Home Assistant to just start using 3.8 on the NAS and not 3.7 so I can get rid of 3.7?

Thanks for any help you can offer… :slight_smile:

Why not set the venv to the location of python 3.8.

Some thing like this

source <full path to python3. 8>/bin/activate

Then you should be able to do what you like from that environment.

1 Like

This seems to work (you must do this via terminal)…

cd <path to where you like to run HA>
/usr/local/bin/python3.8 -m venv --without-pip ./
source ./bin/activate
curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py && python get-pip.py

Do note that you need to install a compiler for pip install homeassistant to work.

3 Likes

I have the same problem, but the above explanation is not clear to me. I am not a Linux user. My knowledge is minimal.

The problem occurs on Synology NAS, to which I can log in via Telnet or SSH for the connection terminal.

I’d love for detail explanation of such a procedure for unfamiliar users.

Thank you very much.

I ended up moving to Home Assistant to Docker on my Syno NAS. With a docker instance, Python gets updated when the docker gets updated and runs independently of anything else i have running on the NAS. I’m actually slowly moving all my Syno apps that have a docker equivalent to docker.

1 Like