Updating Python to 3.8 on Synology

Hi all! I’m just getting started with this, but I really like the features…

Here’s my issue…can’t seem to get past it.

So, I know I need to upgrade Python to 3.8. However on my Synology NAS it installs as a separate package. When I try to uninstall the old 3.7, it shows that Home Assistant is dependent and won’t let me uninstall until I uninstall Home Assistant. I don’t want to lose the config I’ve done so far, so that’s not a good plan. 3.8 is already on my NAS. Is there a way to get Home Assistant to just start using 3.8 on the NAS and not 3.7 so I can get rid of 3.7?

Thanks for any help you can offer… :slight_smile:

Why not set the venv to the location of python 3.8.

Some thing like this

source <full path to python3. 8>/bin/activate

Then you should be able to do what you like from that environment.

1 Like

This seems to work (you must do this via terminal)…

cd <path to where you like to run HA>
/usr/local/bin/python3.8 -m venv --without-pip ./
source ./bin/activate
curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py && python get-pip.py

Do note that you need to install a compiler for pip install homeassistant to work.

3 Likes

I have the same problem, but the above explanation is not clear to me. I am not a Linux user. My knowledge is minimal.

The problem occurs on Synology NAS, to which I can log in via Telnet or SSH for the connection terminal.

I’d love for detail explanation of such a procedure for unfamiliar users.

Thank you very much.

I ended up moving to Home Assistant to Docker on my Syno NAS. With a docker instance, Python gets updated when the docker gets updated and runs independently of anything else i have running on the NAS. I’m actually slowly moving all my Syno apps that have a docker equivalent to docker.

1 Like

Similarly, I moved the HA installation to a virtual machine on my 716 + II with 8GB of RAM.

It’s going great, I’ve read about docker issues - no longer supported.

2 Likes

I literally just finished doing this same thing. Seems to run much smoother this way. Also adds the Add-ons store and Supervisor…much more versatile this way.

Have you figured out how to install the Syno Guest Tool yet? Been hunting and it seems a lot of individuals have worked on this, but no solutions yet…at least not as of early 2021…

Didn’t that help?
How to install Synology Guest Tool on virtual machines

Use my patched OVA from this thread to get Guest Tool working: Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

(The process would be to make a full snapshot of your current running installation and restore from the snapshot in the new OVA environment).

1 Like

Hi! I saw your post a while back, but I thought I read that it no longer worked with the latest DSM update. Has it been corrected now? If so that would be GREAT!

OVA will work, the one Fredrick tweaked. And you can update it normally.
hass.io package is not supported/available/working anymore.

Apologies for the ancient thread bump here, but I think I have the same problem and I’m having a little trouble following the solution! Apologies as well if I bumped this but it turns out I have a different problem :slight_smile:

I have been running the Home Assistant Core package from Syno Community for awhile now without issues, and I (I guess, mistakenly) just upgraded my Python3 package to the latest (3.8.x). Now, Home Assistant Core won’t restart, I assume because (as mentioned previously) it’s dependent on Python 3.7.x.

Could someone please walk me through (or point me to) the recommended solution(s)?

• I see that some folks have run it on Docker but also that that’s deprecated (and I don’t know exactly how I’d go about migrating even if I wanted to
  • I also see a confirmed “Solved” answer that indicates moving it to a virtual machine — but I’m not sure how I’d do that either (and keep what I’ve set up). If it matters (to make sure I’d even have that as an option), I have a DS220+.

Thanks to everyone in advance!

Hey there. I used the virtual machine option. I’m at work right now, but when I get home, I’ll find the link I used to set it up and post it here.

If you can at least get into HA for know, run a backup, then download the backup to a safe place. Then, on e the VM is up and running, you can restore the backup file you saved and you’ll be back up and running on a VM.

I’ve answered you on original thread yesterday that you opened for this…

Both Docker (core) and VM (Home Assistant OS) versions are supported and nothing has been deprecated.

This video may help you with VM installation:

And this one with Docker installation:

In both cases, when you get them up and running, just copy FULL contents of your /config folder (including hidden files and folders) to new location and it will get your system full up and running.
If you have backup file (not sure what version of HA you did run before), you can use contents of that file for Docker or import it in VM version of HA.
EDIT: Wow, yeah, using backup file is not option since it was 2021.9.7 - almost a year old…