Updating zigbee2mqtt when i've installed from an old repo

Hi.
I’m running z2m very nicely v1.17.1
I want to update to 1.18.1 but my add on says no new version available.
Turns out I installed from a discontinued repository.
I’ve tried installing new version from the official github repo but it installs as a clean new version, not an upgrade.

Is there a way to change the repo of the existing installed version so it picks up the update without having to rejoin all my devices and start again?

Thanks,
Michael

Just make a copy of the configuration, remove the old add-on and repo, install the new repo and fill in the configuration.

Be sure to have the right pan_id, channel and network id (and make a backup for you change anything ofc)

Thanks @reddwarf i’ve done that but now my device list is empty, do I have to rejoin all devices?

Are you sure you have exactly the same settings? Also for the data_path should be the same (in previous version it was by default /share/zigbee2mqtt and now /config/zigbee2mqtt)

Otherwise you could manually copy files with ssh but have to know the right syntax

1 Like

Cheers. Yeah the path has changed. Where would the config be stored relative to the root?

The absolute path will be /root/config/zigbee2mqttt wich is a much more logical path then the previous /root/share/zigbee2mqtt.

Thanks a lot. I ended up installing portainer then unhiding the addons so I could console in on z2m and see the folders. Yes the /share folder was there and I updated the config to point to that instead of /config and doosh! Happy days. Thanks.

would you mind giving more details please?
no matter what I do I can’t get it working. I copied the old config to the new place but no matter what every time I start the addon it seems to overwrite my config with its default config :frowning:

Sorry for reviving an old thread. I have 40-50 devices in Z2M and I just bought an Aqara P1 Motion sensor. After some troubles pairing it I googled and found out I probably need to update my z2m to the newer repository.

I copied the config, uninstalled the older version, added the new repo and installed it. It seems to be working fine, it detects my old devices in my MQTT broker. There are some issues in the log but those are devices which are not plugged in atm, other than that nothing. It also detects OTA’s for my devices in the Updates section which I’ve never seen before so it seems to be working (at least the zigbee>mqtt part)

Nevertheless, the frontend does not start. When trying to reach it from the sidebar it just say:

Zigbee2MQTT

Add-on is not running. Please start it first.

In the add-on it doesnt say it’s running, just “Start” and “Uninstall”.
The configuration.yaml is inside /config/zigbee2mqtt and it does contain “frontend” with the standard port.

Any ideas on how to get the frontend running (and also make sure that HA knows that the add-on is running)?

same here. zigbee devices working, log is fine, frontend not responding with the same error.

I just changed back to my backup and still can’t access the UI. Zigbee devices works fine.

ya i tried that too. uninstalling didnt fix either.

read some issues on github got z2m. i restarted the VM that HA runs on and its working again.

1 Like

Lmao was just going to tell you the same thing, just restarted the VM in Proxmox and now it’s working fine! Thanks @Abe21599 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi I’m still with the old addon 1.18.1-1 and I would like to migrate to the current addon 1.32.2-1

I tried to move the mqtt data and usb port to the new addon, restarted the stick and finally the addon restarted.

but it does not find any devices that are already configured.

Is there a way to migrate?