Upgraded to 2021.5.4, Z-Wave JS now won't start

Hi -

I’m still fairly new to HA but loving it so far. I am running on a NUC with the HassOS image loaded and everything’s been working fine. I also have an Aeotec Z-stick Gen 5 which currently only controls a couple devices directly, most of my Z-Wave devices are still connected to my old Vera. Anyway…

I upgraded Core to the new version last night from the iOS app, and all seemed to restart just fine, but then this morning I noticed that the Z-Wave devices that are connected to the Z-Stick via Z-Wave JS weren’t working. When I looked at the integrations, sure enough, Z-Wave JS failed to start, and has this error in the logs:

Z-Wave JS Server version is incompatible: 1.4.0 a version is required that supports at least api schema 4

At first glance I just assumed that the upgrade to 2021.5.4 wasn’t compatible with this version of Z-Wave JS, but I can’t figure out how to upgrade/re-install it. Or maybe I need to downgrade HassOS? Would a restore from backup do any good?

I’ve googled for this error but those who have resolved it seemed to have fairly different setups than me and it wasn’t clear what I could do beyond reinstalling.

Additional info if useful:

System Health

version: core-2021.5.4
installation_type: Home Assistant OS
dev: false
hassio: true
docker: true
virtualenv: false
python_version: 3.8.9
os_name: Linux
os_version: 5.4.109
arch: x86_64
timezone: America/Chicago

GitHub API: ok
Github API Calls Remaining: 5000
Installed Version: 1.12.3
Stage: running
Available Repositories: 822
Installed Repositories: 1

logged_in: true
subscription_expiration: June 16, 2021, 7:00 PM
relayer_connected: true
remote_enabled: true
remote_connected: true
alexa_enabled: true
google_enabled: false
can_reach_cert_server: ok
can_reach_cloud_auth: ok
can_reach_cloud: ok

host_os: Home Assistant OS 5.13
update_channel: stable
supervisor_version: supervisor-2021.04.3
docker_version: 19.03.15
disk_total: 228.5 GB
disk_used: 7.7 GB
healthy: true
supported: true
board: intel-nuc
supervisor_api: ok
version_api: ok
installed_addons: Samba share (9.3.1), Z-Wave JS to MQTT (0.12.0), Z-Wave JS (0.1.21), Terminal & SSH (9.1.1), Mosquitto broker (5.1.1), File editor (5.3.0)

dashboards: 1
resources: 1
views: 8
mode: storage

api_endpoint_reachable: ok

Well, for some reason you have both addons installed. I would just uninstall the one you’re not using, and upgrade the one you are. Since you have the latest version of the z-wave js addon (0.1.21), you must be using zwavejs2mqtt. Your version, 0.12.0, is about a month out of date, the latest is 0.15.0. In other words, upgrade the zwavejs2mqtt addon.

(You don’t need to uninstall anything, but it might be less confusing to just have one)

You know, I saw that they were both installed when I pasted it in and very briefly wondered in passing if that was an issue. :smile:

Sure enough, upgrading the add-on fixed it. Thank you so much.

What a great community!

Hey Ross,
I’m in the same boat as you were. Fairly new to Home Assistant and same version of the integrations. After looking in the configurations and looking at the docs, I cannot figure out how to update Z-Wave JS to MQTT. Can you share the steps you took? Thanks

I was just on the most recent version of Z-Wave JS (0.1.51) just now and running into this same issue. Uninstalling and re-installing the add-on fixed it.