SOLVED! - Almost: Upgrading to 0.91.4 - DON'T do it and don't upgrade Node-red and Configurator

I almost got a hart attack - why is this “common” knowledge? I would have printed it with BIG LETTERS in the installation guide.

• Reload white pages with Ctrl+F5 to reload iframes
  • Press Ctrl+Web-ui on Add-on pages to reload add-on iframes

But not totally fixed yet - I might have to stay up all night to fix this:

iframe part for Configurator is not working from the menu only from the add-on section.

The addons are no longer accessible through exposed ports, they now use the ingress functionality. To access them you currently go to the Hass.io page, navigate to the addon, and press the button to open the web ui.

In a future update there will be a button to add new options to the left hand nav bar to replace the panel_iframes

Well then I cannot access Node-red anymore even not from the add-on part.

This is my Node-red configurator started from the add-on part. My topic conclusion is still right - don’t even think about upgrading anything…

I’m afraid to say I’m fully updated and mine’s working though.

It’s tough to tell from your screenshot because of the cropping - you’ve definitely gone through HassIO > Dashboard > Node-Red > Open Web UI?

What version of Node Red and HASS are you running?

Node-red version 3.0.1
Hassio 0.91.4 (160)
Web UI worked once on my PC afterwards only black screen.

Now I have to go to bed. Have not sleept for 20 hours. And then this happened.

For the configurator, Replace the iframe section in your configuration.yaml with this

panel_custom:
  - name: hassio-main
    sidebar_title: Configurator
    sidebar_icon: mdi:wrench
    js_url: /api/hassio/app/entrypoint.js
    url_path: configurator
    embed_iframe: true
    require_admin: true
    config:
      ingress: "core_configurator"
6 Likes

Not HA’s fault or any developer’s fault.

Hopefully you’ll be in a better mood in the morning.

12 Likes

If you haven’t already, I’d try just restarting HASS as well, if you didn’t already try that post-upgrade.

I’m so dam tired of this Lovelace, nothing works like they say, now they pull this crap with the upgrades. Thanks for nothing.

This works, a Big Thank You.
I can hardly wait for 92.0 so we can start over again.

1 Like

Yeah, you should probably ask those jerks for a refund… :roll_eyes:

15 Likes

Sturm and Drang

5 Likes

Well I got a bit of sleep but I did not solve my issues. I still have a lot to do to get things working again (I see it more as a waste of time than an interlective expanding experience). I’m not the type interested in why it is working - I’m more into prevent situations like this where well working environments goes totally wrong by doing simple upgrades. I see the art of software development being improving user experience over adding new features and functions that for a while will “kill” good user experiences. Seamless feature and function improvements is more impressive for me than being an expert into deep feature and function developments where the user experience is totally neglected.

From a behaviorist scientific point of view my experience last night was total punishment and no reinforcement at all. This will only prevent me and others (I don’t think I’m the only one) from making updates and upgrading systems. And this cannot be in the interest of the software developers (the improve’rs) . It most be frustrating for these people to know that their effort of doing software improvements is wasted or not used.

A cynical aspect could be that some are interested in users not upgrading and thereby making their systems more vulnerable. Who have interest in this?

2 Likes

Probably the best thing in this case, is to rollback from a snapshot, hopefully from the day before the upgrade, and then, before proceeding to a new one, read all the breaking changes for all versions and sub-versions that there were from the installed version and the target one, and prepare all the stuff needed to avoid issues.

The title of this thread seems too strong than the reality.

6 Likes

Funny how people seem to be creating some pretty amazing frontends since Lovelace introduced, so it must not be working how they said.

3 Likes

I had a similar situation with my node-red.
After a restart didn’t solve it I did this:

• Backed up my node-red folder

• Copied my add-on config

• Unintalled the add-on

• Reinstalled add-on

• Pasted my add-on config back in and started the add-on

That worked for me. You shouldn’t need to back up the node-red folder, uninstalling the add-on doesn’t remove any flow data etc. It was just a precaution.

1 Like

the dashboard ui of Node-Red still doesn’t work

from the log

18 Apr 13:01:02 - [info] Node-RED version: v0.20.5
18 Apr 13:01:02 - [info] Node.js version: v10.14.2
18 Apr 13:01:02 - [info] Linux 4.14.98-v7 arm LE
18 Apr 13:01:04 - [info] Loading palette nodes
18 Apr 13:01:12 - [info] Dashboard version 2.14.0 started at /ui
18 Apr 13:01:13 - [info] Settings file : /etc/node-red/config.js
18 Apr 13:01:13 - [info] Context store : ‘default’ [module=memory]
18 Apr 13:01:13 - [info] User directory : /config/node-red/
18 Apr 13:01:13 - [warn] Projects disabled : editorTheme.projects.enabled=false
18 Apr 13:01:13 - [info] Flows file : /config/node-red/flows.json
18 Apr 13:01:14 - [info] Server now running at http://127.0.0.1:46836/
18 Apr 13:01:14 - [info] Starting flows

unfortunately going to http://192.168.x.x:8123/ui gives an error 404

Hi Woody - you are right the title seems strong - but never the less fixes could be minor but impact of things stop working is righter frustrating. But the term “breaking changes” should be called “fatal changes”. I see this team “breaking changes” being used a lot in my professional life. And here I call these potential business harming changes fatal.

You are totally right about ways to either role back changes or ways to test impact in an safe environment before major role out. It was actually what I would like to hear more about from others. How can I make an “testing environment” for testing impact of future updates before “messing up” my operating hassio environment. There is NO WAF in a not working hassio environment. The wife might start to shout: “Give me Google Home, Alexa or Apple Home in stead of this annoying technical crap”. And that’s a shame don’t you think Hassio-follows ?

I am still learning and am developing upgrade theories to increase my system stability.

The current one I want to try is to only upgrade to .2 or later, being sure to read the release notes in between for breaking changes. I understand that in 0.92.x we are supposed to have an option to choose to set up addons in the menu automagically. That means I will wait for 0.92.2 before upgrading.

1 Like

So you mean I should change what?:

panel_iframe:
  configurator:
    title: Config File Editor
    icon: mdi:wrench
    url: !secret configpanelURL

nodered:
    title: Node-RED
    icon: mdi:sitemap
    url: !secret NoderedURL