USB Boot on Raspberry Pi 3

Also important to note that ResinOS is not supported anymore with Hassio so no more O/S updates hence HassOS is the way forward.

Should add it IS possible to install Raspbian Lite, Docker and then install Hass.io so you have full Linux/Raspbian access but also run Hass.io with addons etc but it’s a more complicated setup.

I used that before I got my NUC to get prepped to run hass.io on Debian.

Dale3h wrote a script to install hass.io on raspbian.It’s linked here somewhere…

still HassOS looks slower than the resinOS version according to my experience and there is the incovenience that there is no way to book from usb disk

I wouldn’t agree that HassOS is slower anymore. V1.12 was a big improvement for me, V1.13 just been released too. I would like usb drive support but won’t switch back to resinos.

1 Like

ResinOS is a dead end.

1 Like

Is there a plan for usb booting? SD cards are not that safe in long time

3 Likes

Works like a dream!
Thank you for the post.
Gunnar

1 Like

I have burned hassio on a 32GB USB drive but got stuck at step 4. It says there is not enough disk space… See attached screenshot. Did I miss something?

2018-12-08%2010_52_12-TEMP

Hi
Can anybody tell me how setup latest image HASSIO to boot from SSD USB on RPI3 ? Raspbian boot ok from USB but HASSIO image installed by etcher no boot.

There is no way to get HassOS to boot from USB.

But some people write that he can…

Pretty sure it was only possible when using the older Resin OS

That is no good now when we use very often on RPi3 ssd memory on USB. Other system can boot but I don’t know why HassOS can not. No good.

There is an open feature request here : ===> Possibility to install Hass.io on and boot from external USB media on Raspberry Pi 3

Yes and it is from December 2017and nothing.

See here:

https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/pull/318

1 Like

Looks like it is merged into dev for hassos.
Will be interesting to see if it makes the next version of HassOS

Looks great! already tried some testing with rel2 of hassos (trial and error), but no succes yet. Hope someone can figure it out to work

@Jrwolf
It might be worth opening an issue if it is not working so it can be discussed. @berg seems quite keen on getting this working reliably :slight_smile:

Edit: Looks like there is an issue open for this https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/issues/343
I am going to follow this also as I want to move HA to a SSD on a Raspberry Pi.

@brendan
Good point & I agree with you, but I’m a totally newbie on this matter. Trying to educate myself first so I can be of better help.

Have you tried it already? Did you get it to work?