Use a Loupedeck as a controlpanel/dashboard for home assistant!🎉

I just bought a Loupdedeck Live (it’s a kind of Streamdeck with knobs) for creating some shortcuts on my PC.

There was no easy possibilty to control my home. I started looking in
the SDK and made it work. (Well not perfect, but it is working)

Since i am no .NET developer a hacked some stuff, but i like the result.

You need to create a config file manual something like:

{
  "token": "YourLongLivedToken",
  "url": "http://homeassistant.local:8123/api/",
  "entries": [
    {
      "service": "light.turn_on",
      "entities": [
        "light.light_1",
        "light.light_2",
        "light.light_4"
      ]
    },
    {
      "service": "switch.toggle",
        "switch.plug_1",
        "switch.cover_3",
        "switch.light_65"
      ]
    }
  ]
}

This is the very first “release” of the plugin. If i find the time i will try to improve it further.

The plugin and the documentation is on Github.

Please consider sponsoring me.

Thanx

7 Likes

I made a quick video on how to set it up:

Youtube

1 Like

The state of your home at your fingertips.

There is a new version out v 0.3
with two important features.

New:

• display the state of an entity on an button
  • display the result of a template on a button
    Old:
    Call services on button press

The configuration looks like this:

1 Like

nice, i’m going to give this a try now.

1 Like

All installed and it’s cool being able to control my studio monitor power right from my Loupedeck.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Thanx, I’m waiting for a new sdk from loupedeck, i think there
is a lot to improve. But for now i can’t implement more of my ideas. Screenshot 2022-12-08 185046 State display (left top corner) friendlyname (below the icon) etc.

At this point, would you recommend the Loupedeck? I have a Streamdeck now, I’m somewhat happy, but not that much, with it :-).

Hi Martin,
that is a hard question!
I choosed the loupedeck mainly because of the wheels, now that streamdeck also has wheels this advantage is gone.
I think the elgato software and the elgato SDK is mature.
The loupedeck SDK is “poor” and limited because of its tiny documentation. The hardware and the base concept can offer much more. :frowning:

I am waiting for the release of the new SDK from loupedeck, which will give me more possibilities.

On my loupedeck i am working on another versatile powershell plugin, with more control on the actions and on the display. I will release it after the new SDK version is out.

For now, i can’t recommend loupedeck for 100%, but it works.

I will stick with loupedeck, although i am interested in the “Stream Deck +” (Elgato contact me for sponsoring!! ;-))

Sample of my WIP plugin: the icon, text, marker in the uper right corner is dynamic :slight_smile:
This toggles my desk-lamp, a red corner means off, a green corner is on.

Greetings

I like the project. I´m a 3D designer, so contact me if you need help on this matter.

Greetings!

Hi lubeda

Just bought a Loupedeck Live S, and got your plugin working after a bit of tinkering – really useful, thanks!!

I agree that the Elgato ecosystem seems more mature and has a lot more developed for it, including some HA stuff which has things like live entity status display. I do prefer the Loupedeck hardware and application integration though (especially how it works dynamically with applications) which is why I bought it.

Hopefully things will improve once Loupedeck’s new SDK is released. Looking forwards to seeing your next version :smiley:

My plugin is able to show an entity state or a template result. But it is only polled once a minute. The legato home assistant plugin uses web sockets, wich is event driven.

Websockets are also possible with Loupedeck :slight_smile: , but it’s harder to code :frowning: .

I’m a “hobby programer” I don’t know if I will find the time to improve the plugin that much. I will try an perhaps there are more skilled developer…

Thanks for your positive feedback.

1 Like

Hello,

I’d like to buy a deck: a streamDeck or a LoupeDeck.
I prefer the Loupedeck idea.

In your messages, you talk about a new SDK. Is it out yet?

Hi, yes they meanwhile updated the SDK. But I have no time to put into the update of my Loupedeck plugin :frowning:

@lubeda Great plugin, easy to install. Can turn lights on and off, that was straightforward.

Would love to be able to adjust intensity using a dial. I dont need feedback of current value, but just a simple turn up / down using a knob on the loupedeck.

Also, is there a way to change the knob press to toggle between on at 70% and full off?

Hi,
you can add service calls to the down and up rotation of knobs. This is not very comfortable, but the only way I see. As a rough example for your config.json:

{
      "service": "script.turn_on",
        "script.light_dim_up",
        "script.light_dim_down"      
      ]
    }

In the corresponding scripts, you can do want you need on the home assistant side

Only on the home assistant side, via a script with some logic.

Amazing work. I’ve been looking for something like this for over a year now. Thanks so much!

In the future, would it be possible to simplify the process for brightness and cct control via the dials?

technically of course, but that is beyond my skill level. I have a lot of possible enhancement in my mind, e.g. the entity selection is “painful”… The polling of state changes isn’t optimal and the service calls are also uncomfortable. But therefore someone needs to code websocket to the home assistant api.

I just released a new plugin to control your entities with a Loupedeck.
You can find it here.

It shares the configuration with Lubedas plugin, you can use both plugins in parallel.

It’s main benefit is the communcation via the Websocket API. State changes are reflected immediately to your Loupedeck. Currently you can control switches, lights (& dimmers) and climate entities.

See more details on the the projects Github page.

1 Like

This is huge! Is there still a need for my plugin? Could you extend yours to handle sensors also?