Use KLF200 or KIG 300 to control Velux solar covers?

Update 23.01.2022
– Changed structure of the post, so that the experiences are all documented in the Summary without judging, if a point is a pro or con and deleted not necessary questions.
– Added experiences with KLF200, because I got one too.

From my gathered experiences I have still one question: Is it possible to get an update of the current postion of the cover lets say every second while the cover is moving?

Update 17.01.2022
– Added new experiences in regards to the State update time for KIG300

Summary
Dear all,

I’m currently thinking which Gateway from Velux I should finally use. I gathered some information for the two devices below. I have solar covers with the remote control 3LID13WW, Model: BG-RC011-01.

KLF200
Functionality
– Provides the “cover.stop_cover” functionality
– Uses pyvlx, which is still very good maintained
– No updates from the manufacturer anymore

State update time
– State is not updated => Home Assistant shows always open

Current position update
– Update of the current possition is only done at the end of moving

Connection
– Needs wired LAN connection

Costs
– Costs € 50 more (~€ 150)

Robustness
– ???

KIG300
Functionality
– Gateway is still maintained by Velux
– Doesn’t provide the “cover.stop_cover” functionality

State update time
– If the cover is set to a position (e.g. 75) the state change happens immediately.
– More then 5s-10s from e.g. “open” to “closing” if you move manually via remote control
– No change if the manual closing command is given too short (below 5s-10s) if you move manually via remote control

Current position update
– If you try to get the position via a triggered state node (e.g. every second) in Node-Red while the cover is moving , you will not get the current position every time. Here you also only get a new position after 5s-10s of moving cover.

Connection
– Can be connected and cotrolled via WLAN
Costs
– Cost € 50 less (~€ 100)

Robustness
– Tests for about on week with timely scheduled mvong onece per day to different position were done without errors

2 Likes

I have Velux integra windows and would like to integrate with HA. Which way did you do this?

Velux remote for integra

https://www.velux.co.uk/help-and-advice/support/velux-active-support/schedule-and-automations/app-vs-active

@ryzn it would be nice if you could explain how you did integrated KIG300 with HA.

Velux is adding two new solutions to their Smart Home line:
KLG 300 - https://www.velux.dk/produkter/smart-home/smart-home-gateway
KLR 300 - https://fccid.io/XSG865697

As with all io-homecontrol products the pricing is insane but Velux is building and designing the hardware in their own fashion and does not use any Overkiz designs (like Somfy and all other io-homecontrol brands).

I am getting lost with all the alternative Velux gateways.
So far I have noted down:

• KLF200
  • KIX300
  • KLG 300
  • KLR 300
  • Somfy Tahomabox with overkiz integration

I need to control both the windows and the covers. I don’t have any Apple device (not sure if they are needed to use HomeKit).

What are pros and cons of each solution? Which one would you recommended?

I have just stared down this particular rabbit hole this morning, my builder is about to install two roof lights in my kitchen extension, I shall specify electric and plan to work with the electrician to steer him in the right direction regarding automation wiring however the mix of automation gateways is confusing. I assume KLF 200 is replaced by KIG 300? They appear to both be Wifi gateways and the KLF 200 no longer appears in the products list on velux.co.uk.

Perhaps veering slightly off topic, do the Velux windows and blinds work with any third party switches, I’d ideally like to replace the supplied single wall box single gang faceplates with one single width wall box dual gang switch if possible.

Edit: It seems a single KLI 311 wall switch can control multiple windows. Apologies for a pointless question, I had to look in the accessories section of the web site.

Edit 2: I think KIX300 is KIG300 bundled with environmental sensors, listed as “Velux Active with Netatmo” on velux.co.uk.

1 Like

In a similar situation - did you find a solution?

Looking at the velux website I’m inclined to agree that the actual product which integrates with HomeKit is the KIG300 and the KIX is a bundle including a couple of (ludicrously expensive) buttons and sensors, but I’d love some confirmation of that!

Is it already possible to integrate with the KIG? (Without homekit)

Thnx

Well, I went straight to the source: Velux customer support confirmed that the “Gateway” is KIG300 and the same gateway is provided in the KIX300 bundle. It’ll be a while before we get them installed but I’m happy knowing there is a solution, especially given HA now includes a native Homekit controller. I’ve made a request to update the documentation to clarify the KIG300 is a supported device via Homekit

1 Like

Do we actually need an apple/iphone device to get the homekit controller working? I only have android

I don’t believe so. I’ve got LIFX lights popping up as potential homekit devices in HA, and while I do have a work iPad I doubt it’s doing anything here. See this page for more details

its not clearly stated that IPAD/APPLE is needed, i thought, once you setup the KIG300 , HA detects an homekit device, and ready to use … so no apple is needed … but not sure

@ryzn - Hi - can you explain how you integrated the Velux with a KIG300 bridge set-up? I am struggling to find such info

Apologies for the delay, I have been juggling work, kids and builders. I asked Velux for some clarification and was sent the following response, I am not 100% convinced by the KIG300 answer but I shall wait until my build is completed before fiddling with automating the windows:

Thank you for contacting VELUX.

All windows come with their own remote. It is possible to have both windows working from one of these remotes. However, this function will only let them open and close at the same time.

VELUX windows will be compatible with 3rd party automation systems by using the KLF 200 to link them.

The KLF 200 is a completely different product to the KIG 300. The KLF is an interface until which links our windows to a 3rd party system. The KIG 300 is VELUX App control which allows you to open and close the windows from your phone. You will have the function with this to set timers and p the windows into groups.

We also have a new product due to be released on 01.03.23. The KLR 300. This is a touch screen remote control which will be able to operate multiple products with. I have included the link to our online product brochure below. Pages 28-31 have all the information on intelligent home control including the products mentioned above.

Please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.

In my (rented) apartment I do have several VELUX INTEGRA windows with blinds. I also asked myself what the best way would be to integrate them as in addition to the mentioned VELUX products also Somfy claims to be compatible (as based on io-homecontrol) both with VELUX and also with Apple HomeKit.

So I decided to give it a shot whit the cheapest solution and recently I bought a Somfy Connectivity Kit. My experience with it:

• Set up with Somfy Tahoma app went more or less smoothly (using existing remote controls), I can operate windows and blinds via the app
  • HA integration via Overkiz also worked smoothly, I can basically do everything I can do via the app also via HA. The known drawback is the integration is cloud-based, that is, if you do not have an internet connection it will not work (normally not an issue but I still do not like the idea to be dependent on internet to locally open/close a window…)
  • HA integration via HomeKit controller worked only partly: for whatever reason I can only operate the blinds, but not the windows themselves, Somfy support was not helpful as they refer to VELUX (which I do not fully get as I thought of the Connectivity Kit to be the relay also for HomeKit). Btw, it is the same for “real” HomeKit, I have tried with an iPhone and also there I can only see the blinds but not the windows. In addition, the ”stop” button is not there, you can trigger open/close but not stop. Percentage for automation works.
  • The VELUX windows have integrated rain sensors and while close automatically if it rains, with the Connectivity Kit I do not see the sensor at all (I also did not expect as it is clearly stated that this device does not support sensors)

Based on the experience above I have contacted Somfy support to explain why window operation would not work via HomeKit. The standard support guy (which was anyway not very friendly) recommended my to buy the more exensive TaHoma Switch, as then it would work. I (luckily) did not trust this information and with the help of friendly Velux support I got in contact with some other Somfy guy (very friendly this time) who confirmed me that TaHome Switch will not help for that problem and the the missing HomeKit windows support is a problem of Velux (which I do not understand until this day as functionality is basically there, thus seems only an interface topic of the Somfy product).

In any case after these experiences I decided that I don’t want to stay with Somfy both because of the missing local functionality as well as the questionable support.

I sold the Connectivity Kit and and bought the VELUX KIG 300 (which seems to be designed by NETATMO). Here the result:

• Setup using VELUX app goes simlarly as with Connectivity Kit (but only VELUX products supported, no Somfy)
  • HA integration via HomeKit controller works this time, I cannot only control blinds but also windows!
  • As far as I know there is no specific integration like with Overkiz (neither local nor cloud), thus I did not test this.
  • Unfortunately, wheras it is shown in the app that windows closed due to rain, the sensor is not made available via HomeKit neither here.

Conclusion for VELUX INTEGRA windows in combination with HA:

• If you are totally fine with cloud based integration or you have other Somfy products => Somfy Connectivity Kit does the job and you can save 50 bucks
  • If you want local support (via HomeKit controller) and you do not have Somfy products => I recommend KIG 300

By the way, it seems that setup works only if you have an existing, configured remote control… means you still need one in parallel.

I refrain of sharing experiences with the apps TaHoma vs Velux as this should not be as important if you plan to integrate with HA.

2 Likes

thx for this info!

About rain sensor, i think it only works with the KLF, i have the rainsensor working in HA, but with a custom component, there is a check to for the limitation, if its 0 , not raining, if its 93 , it means its raining, this info is possible to get from the API , not sure if you can obtain it from the KLF

i asked to integrare this a while ago, and no part of pyVlx

I am using the KLF200 gateway and it works very well, it would be nice to get the state from the rainsensor too, but I see its WIP. Also I hope for a UI Config and to rename the windows / covers. Currently its labels as cover.0 and cover.1 one is a shutter and one is a window. If you wanna reboot HA, you need to reboot the gateway, but that can be done via automatisation, which works in 95% very well.
The important thing for me was local control, sad that the development from Velux stopped here, things like the WebUI from the Gateway accesibble via LAN port not only wifi would be such improvements…

nice review and thanks. But i do believe KLF 200 (that you haven’t tested) should work on velux AND Somfy while being also local appliance? that solution seems the right one…still KLF200 is indeed quite expensive…

So the KIG300 doesn’t need an internet connection after installation?
I can controll the shutters via HA without Internet?

Thank you for the update.
Forward progress by my builder has been glacial in recent months alas, my electrician has only just been able to come on site to finish the circuits in the kitchen, hopefully the Velux shall finally be connected this week so I shall look forward to experimenting.

Edit: veering slightly off topic, is there a generic io-homecontrol solution possible, or do the various vendor’s hubs render them specific to their own application? I am just wondering if the Heatmiser Hub (integrates neostat heating devices) is effectively another io-homecontrol based system, and if so can I get away with sourcing a single hub for HA integration.