Use Tuya or Local Tuya

Tuya is a “native” integration in HA( entirely cloud depended ), next to this i believe localtuya is mostly used ( and easy to use ) and supports many various brands, i.e Deltaco, Nedis etc

PS: don’t bother to flash these device, use as is

2 Likes

Thanks again for the fast replay

I have hear about Tasmota too but I’m not into flash any device if it not necessary or extreme simple to do.
I have done it with IM sensor and use telink im flasher to flash it and that was simple :slight_smile:

In the end i guess it depends upon which devices you have, or intend to get/use
i.e Tapo devices might be better in Tapo, etc. etc.
But plain cheap devices, in the Tuya “area”, as you mention, many brands use the Tuya firmware

I’ve used localtuya for 14 months, just works, had no issues. I also have the Tuya devices firewalled off from the internet.

1 Like

Hi, I tried using localtuya(GitHub - rospogrigio/localtuya: local handling for Tuya devices) but ran into issues with my Feit color bulbs and energy sensing smart plugs. Then recently I tried tuya-local (GitHub - make-all/tuya-local: Local support for Tuya devices in Home Assistant). I had more success with this integration. With that, I can change bulb colors and check smart plugs energy sensors from home assistant. I was not able to get my other devices e.g. humidity sensor working with either of the integrations. May be these can be resolved but I was not able to. I believe each has something to offer. I was not just able to use them for all of my tuya devices. Just sharing my experience. Good luck.

2 Likes

I’ve got a mix of Tuya and Tuya Local (link included because it’s very hard to differentiate between them based on name). For a while I was having issues with Arlec devices going unavailable with Tuya, so thought local might help - it didn’t. So I didn’t convert any others.

The Tuya integration is easier to set up, and is done once for all devices, rather than for each like Tuya Local. And I’ve had no problems with the speed/reliabliity of the cloud service (ymmv).

One of the key things to understand for Tuya is the difference between skinned apps and HA integrations.

• Hardware suppliers provide a skinned version of the Tuya phone app to try to keep you buying their products. So if you buy 3 from different suppliers, you can either have 3 different apps running on your phone, or the generic one from Tuya. To complicate matters further, Tuya themselves provide two versions - Tuya Smart and Smart Life. So firstly, you should be using one of the two from Tuya rather than multiple of those from suppliers. I’m using “Tuya Smart” from before “Smart Life” existed (I think, it’s very confusing).

• There is only one official Tuya integration for HA, but anybody can create their own version too, which is how we’ve ended up with more than one “Tuya Local” / “Local Tuya”.

To (hopefully) clear up one other matter, there is a thing called Tuya Convert which can replace the Tuya firmware on devices with Tasmota. This would then work with the HA Tasmota integration. This doesn’t work for all Tuya devices, and unless you’ve got a lot of other Tasmota devices, there should be no need to go down that path.

To summarize - one of the benefits / weaknesses (depending on your view on any given day) of white-labelling and open source, is there can be many ways to skin the cat, and Tuya is a prime example.

7 Likes

Just to verify -
Once I installed localtuya (or a similar variant), I am no longer dependent on Tuya cloud / Tuya IoT Platform? I will no longer be required to tuya subscrption in order to integrate tuya products to HA?

You will need at least a developer account with Tuya so retrieve the new/changed keys of your Tuya WiFi based devices because those keys will change whenever your Tuya devices are getting reseted.

1 Like

Ok, and does such a Developer Account requires a paid subscription, as a standard tuya developer needs (the one that you need to extend when it expires)?
And is there no way to get around this?
I just don’t want to be dependent on any manufacturer.
Thanks

No, that developer account doesn’t need a paid subscription. At least I didn’t pay a dime and was never asked to do so. Maybe this has changed? I opened that account in late 2020.

Nevertheless you will be always dependent on Tuya because besides of needing that Smart Life-App to pair and re-pair devices you wont get around it to retrieve the new key(s) whenever one of those devices are reseted or whenever you add a new device. To retrieve those keys is trivial though.

Anyway, the main reason why I finally moved away from Tuya WiFi driven devices is exactly the Tuya cloud dependency. It was quite a PIA (and costly) to switch 35+ devices to Zigbee (still 3 Tuya WiFi devices to go) but I don’t regret the decision to do so.

If you want to be real foreign cloud-free choose ESP/Tasmota/Zigbee but stay away from Tuya WiFi.

4 Likes

Thanks Tamsy. So I was working with HA and Tuya for about 2 years, and a month ago I replaced my HA hardware so I needed to re-integrate Tuya into my system. In order to do that I needed to create an account for Tuya Cloud, which found out to be expired after only one month. Thereafter you need to ask them to extend the subscription, while providing them with good reasons why you want to do so, and relying only on their good will and kindness, as if they were rullers of a monarchy. So today I received a confirmation for their approval of my subscription for additional 6 months, and suddenly all my Tuya devices appeared again on my HA. This is crazy.
Also, the entire Tuya Cloud web interface UX is terrible and not user-friendly at all.

Totally understand why you invested so much efforts in replacing your 35+ Tuya devices. I am confident it was worth it. May I ask what alternative platform/eco-system did you choose to work with? Have you considered Shelly products? I understand that they can be managed locally by design.

3 Likes

This alone is already a big thumbs down :-1:t3:

I am using Tasmota flashable devices only, a few ESPs and all other devices go to Zigbee with Z2M on HA Supervised. All is working great as it should. No phantom switching or delayed status updates and other annoyances anymore and internet cut-offs doesn’t affect the overall experience with HA.

Unfortunately Shelly products are not available in the country I live in :unamused:

BTW, Tuya Zigbee devices are not relying on the Tuya Cloud and most of them pair seamlessly with most Zigbee Coordinators. No need for the Tuya Zigbee Gateway. For Z2M compatible devices take a look here.

1 Like

Thanks Tamsy!

If anyone is looking for zigbee energy monitoring plugs UK plugs
UK Zigbee Energy monitoring sockets

1 Like

what do you do if the dev acc is expired i get error msg
“msg”: “No permissions. Your subscription to cloud development plan has expired.”,

1 Like

You renew iit

2 Likes

I got it sorted by an extension. Now on local will be ok as long as I don’t change names of the device

Trial is now 1 month then you will have to pay.

Not sure weather you start again with new email?

1 Like

I’m at this point but can’t for the life of me figure out how to sign up for a subscription! Such an awful website. Any chance someone has a link to what I would need to subscribe to for the basic integration of some light switches which are currently integrated through Tuya cloud?

Thanks!

Follow this link for instructions on how to move on.

Apply for the Trial. Thus you wont get charged.

1 Like

With the latest esphome relase many (all?) tuya wifi device are now officially supported (realtek and beken based) and these type of devices can be completely owned :muscle: