Using Shelly 1 in hassio as push button

Hello everyone,

Here’s my setup: I have a shelly one connected to my apartment building door open button. My apartment has a panel in every unit so instead of getting up and pressing the button to open the building door, I hooked up a shelly to it. The problem is that the apartment system is looking for a impulse (contacts shorting for a small period of time) rather than the contacts shorting for a while. Currently, I have the shelly added in as a switch using the rest function in the configuration file. I click the switch on and off quickly to simulate the contacts shorting for a small period of time.

My question: Is there anyway to add in a push button that shorts the shelly 1 for a given time? Maybe 1000ms?

Thank you,
David

If the Shelly1 is flashed with Tasmota then you can use the PulseTime command that takes the duration as a parameter after which it turns back off.

We use this to open our garage gate.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Geoffrey,

I am using the Shelly1 with stock software as I am a little nervous about opening it up to flash. Do you know of any solutions that utilize the stock software?

Thanks.

I flashed it as soon as I got it long before the stock firmware was considered ok. Unfortunately I don’t see anything immediately how to do it with the stock firmware.

Perhaps consider flashing it if nobody else has a solution.

Sounds good. If no one has a resolution, I’ll have to by a flasher. unfortunately, that means I would have to rip out all of the shellys from my switches and plugs :confused:

That’s exactly why I had a light bulb called garage gate until everything was setup working correctly in Home Assistant and Homekit before I permanently put it in a box on the ceiling :grinning:

Anyone have any suggestions?

I installed a Shelly 1 this Week End and there is two ways of achieving a momentary switch (I use it for my garage door). Either ways you need to update the firmware to latest and then you will have the choice for momentary switch or auto-off (the example taken is a motion detector in the GUI).

@CedricGatay, In fact what I would like is for my Shelly to replace this push button that can be associated with my Legrand dimmer.

short press = on/off
continuous press = dimming

Did you come to a solution to this? I’ve just stumbled across your post and I’m trying to achieve the exact same thing - I’ve got a shelly1 attached to my legrand dimmer, but need to find some way of automating it…

Are you looking to add the shelly simply to turn on and off the dimmer much like a switch? I know the shelly 1 cannot dim.

Ideally I’d like it to be able to turn off and on, and adjust dimming.

So far I’ve figured out how to toggle the lights by setting Shelly to auto-off after 0.3 seconds. This sends a short pulse to the dimmer module which acts as if it’s pressing the wall switch (a short press toggles the light’s state between on/off)

If it’s possible for the Shelly to output a long pulse as well, this could act like it’s holding down the dimmer button & therefore adjust brightness up or down.

I understand the dimming functionality would be somewhat limited in this scenario, but that’s fine.

I haven’t found a great solution yet, nor have I found a dimmer able to manage this light with its 4 lamps of 50 w under 12 v. (= 400 w)

But I keep an eye on this discussion…

You could add in automatons/scripts in HA to achieve the different delays. I think you would be better off using something else besides the Shelly to achieve this result though.

What kind of lamps are these (LED/halogen/incandescent?) I’m also a bit confused because you’ve said its 50W x 4, so this should be 200W total?

And to confirm, this is running off 12V? and is this AC or DC?

I’ve looked into a couple options myself (although I’m running 9x 10W LED lights), there’s either a Gledopto triac AC dimmer, or Shelly Dimmer 2. I’m just trying to figure out if these would suit your power requirements.

To dim 4 x 50 W via a 220/12 V AC transformer you need a dimmer that supports 400 W.

In another room I have a light fixture with also 4 x 50 W, but in this fixture there are 2 transformers, so I installed two Shelly Dimmers and it works.

(Shelly dimmers are given for 220 W max)

I’m using a Shelly 1 PM and it has an option to be used as a push-button instead of the switch.

TIMER 
+--- AUTO OFF
    +---  When On - Turn Off After x seconds

You can enter the number of seconds

SETTINGS 
 +---  BUTTON TYPE 
    +--- Edge Switch - Set Shelly device to be "Edge" switch. 
         Changes state on every hit.

I’m using this to open my condo door.

Works amazing!