Using the Ring Alarm Keypad with Home Assistant

I’d try manually reinterviewing the node first. If that doesn’t work, stick a pin in the hole on the back to put it in exclusion mode.

I’ve reinterviewed and now I can’t see the battery level, so i’m going to assume it’s not worked?

Try bringing the keypad close to the controller when you’re doing the interview. This device has the longest interview of any ZWave device I’ve ever used, and it sounds like you’re dropping some packets. A better signal from proximity might help.

The rest hole is on the back, just below the channel for the power cord, on the same side as the label.

1 Like

Thanks, the hole looked like an LED at first sight.

I removed and re-added, this time keeping the device alive by pressing random keys during the interview.

All working now thanks! :slight_smile:

Do you think there is a way to get the motion sensor to show up as an entity in HA?

There was some discussion of that over here: Synchronize Ring Alarm Keypad v2 with Alarmo - #10 by andrew3

Apparently, a newer firmware version does expose it. Presumably the official ring base station knows how to download a new firmware image, but I don’t have one to test with. They don’t seem to make it freely available, and I haven’t tried asking their tech support. I tend to doubt that they’d just send it over, but it might be worth a try if it’s a feature that you want.

Thanks, just realised I have the new fw and the sensor is indeed showing up :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is very cool! I already have a ring alarm (with gen 1 keypads), but after setting up my own alarm with alarmo, Id like to sell the ring system. 2 questions…

1. I don’t need the ring base station at all to use this with HA/Alarmo?
  2. Does the Gen 2 keypad’s TTS notifications work? For example, if I set Alarmo to “armed night”, will the keypad say that out loud?
  1. Correct. I don’t own a Ring base station.

2. Yes, in English, French or Spanish. Although I don’t think there’s a sound clip for Night that I’ve found. They only voice clips I can find are “Disarmed,” “Home and Armed,” “Away and Armed,” “Sensors need bypass,” and the exit and entry delays. Is there a night clip with the base station?

Very cool! This is excellent work my friend. I am definitely selling my ring system then and getting a couple gen 2 keypads. No, I dont think the base station has a night TTS message. I just got it jumbled with alarmo because ive been messing with it a lot over the past couple days.

I tried using the Ring keypad v1. It starts the automation, it arms the system (Alarmo) then gives an error sending back commands to the keypad. It says Value 26-135-0-16-1 not found on node Node(node_id=26)
I can’t get it to accept any commands using zwave_js.set_value also.

I’ve tried removing the node and reinterviewing it. It gave different results because sometimes it does not show all entities. But now it seems to be included ok. I can set configuration parametres with zwave_js.set_value using command class 112. I also see that the command class 135 is added when I download diagnostic info from the device. (see below).

What could be wrong?

“endpoint”: 0,
“commandClass”: 135,
“commandClassName”: “Indicator”,
“property”: “value”,
“propertyName”: “value”,
“ccVersion”: 1,
“metadata”: {
“type”: “number”,
“readable”: true,
“writeable”: true,
“label”: “Indicator value”,
“ccSpecific”: {
“indicatorId”: 0
},
“min”: 0,
“max”: 255
},
“value”: 0

I don’t have a V1 keypad, but sleevezipper put together some great notes on using it here: https://github.com/ImSorryButWho/HomeAssistantNotes/blob/742b2a8caec0051cef395c015819aded07aa4b12/RingKeypadV1.md

Looking at his notes, it doesn’t look like the V1 keypad supports the bypass required indicator class, which is indicator 16.

1 Like

Thanks,
I’ve read in the notes from sleevezipper that value is not a placeholder but actually defines the property value. It now works fine and it accepts all commands listed. I’m a happy man :slight_smile:

service: zwave_js.set_value
data:
command_class: ‘135’
property: value
value: ‘3’
endpoint: ‘0’
target:
device_id: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

@ImSorryButWho I finally got around to ordering a gen 2 keypad and setting it up. Using it with zwave js (not zwjs2mqtt) without any problems. Just wanted to say thanks again for the great work. Wall tablets just dont feel the same as a dedicated alarm keypad. The mrs likes it a lot more too. I think this is the current best keypad option for people using a DIY alarm system. Youre the man!

I forgot that I did actually have a question. Any chance volume control will ever be possible through this implementation? I see volume control inside the zwave js configure options.

I have run into a problem. Everything was working fine until randomly, i could not listen to zwave js notification events anymore. I can still send commands to the keypad like disarm, arm stay, arm away, etc. However, no key presses on the keypad are creating notification events. The red network icon on the keypad is lighting up. As if it has a bad connection to the zwave network, but im using it in an area with a strong mesh. Very strange. Any idea what could cause this?

Sorry, it’s been a busy week. Yes, there are some volume control options. I think ZWaveJS doesn’t quite fully support the Indicator command class properly – you can theoretically set a volume, and on/off time, and brightness all at once, but ZWaveJS looks like it can only send one at a time, and they don’t seem to mix exactly the way you’d want. I’d guess it would take some work to do it all correctly. File that in the “one day, if I’m bored” bin.

I haven’t seen the command issue you’re seeing – I agree that’s weird. Is there anything showing up in the ZWaveJS logs? Did you try doing a heal on the node? It could be that a weak return route got picked for some strange reason.

After my 2nd tablet gave up (somehow they don’t like being on the wall and turned on 24/7, even the more expensive ones) I started looking for something more foolproof. Regular z-wave keypads are really expensive, but I managed to get the keypad v1 at a 50% discount in the official Ring store. Since I have no use for the emergency buttons, the v1 should do all I need. Those ring door sensors also seem to be higher quality than the usual sensors I use.

@ImSorryButWho : Thank you so much for the blueprint! I managed to setup Alarmo + keypad on zwaveJS with the blueprint using my phone while watching TV… Only did some basic arm/disarm, but looks fine so far

I actually just repaired it to my network and its been fine ever since. I started my home automation journey with a ring alarm, so the keypad voice is great to have around the house after being in a box for a couple years. Once again, great work!

You’re going to notice some log errors using the V1 keypad with the V2 BluePrint as this is the setup I’m running also.

That said, I haven’t noticed any issue with arming and disarming the system though.

There’s a V1 blueprint that Sleevezipper was kind enough to contribute to my GitHub repo. I don’t have a v1 keypad to test with, but I think it should work for you guys.

@IPulsar

2 Likes

Stumbled across this thread as looking for a keypad for my manual alarm. I had some ultra complicated set up in node red with all my various sensors. This thread did two things for me - I learned about Alarmo (OMG so simple compared to my node red set up and does the same!) and now the keypad.

I bought a Gen 2 and found a Gen 1 on offer (Travis Perkins online for those in the uk £15 delivered) both work flawlessly with your blueprint for the Gen2 and the Gen1 you shared.

Thanks so much for your hard work on this - it works flawlessly!

1 Like